The Director of Institutional Giving is a strategic-thinker and flexible, collaborative leader. Working with the Executive team and other members of Investor Relations, you will develop and implement the foundation fundraising strategy for United Way Worldwide. You will serve as the lead relationship manager for private foundations and other institutional donors, working closely with the Manager for Foundation Fundraising to ensure a world-class customer experience. You will also collaborate with the Grant Writer and members of program teams to turn United Way's complex systems-change work into compelling and understandable donor products, and communicate the importance of United Way’s role in communities.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION: An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- As leader of the Foundations team, raise more than $10,000,000 annually through national, community and corporate foundations, and other institutional donor gifts
- Assist with development of strategic plans to meet fundraising goals
- Manage private foundation and other donor relationships: a) prospect research; b) donor cultivation, relationship management, and recognition; c) represent the organization to prospective and current donors
- Collaborate with all United Way Worldwide departments including program, international, brand/communications, corporate relations, and others, on strategies to secure funding for national and global priorities
- Lead a small team, relying on their expertise and providing clear goals, appropriate guidance, and transparency to build trust and ensure individual and team excellence
- Work with organizational program staff to clearly define United Way initiatives as donor products
- Evaluate program success and identify improvements
- Oversee and contribute to the grants management system in Salesforce
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com or call 703-836-7100 ext. 324 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills.
We are looking for:
- A skilled project and people manager
- Masterful fundraising knowledge and abilities
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong communication skills: verbal and written
- Big picture thinker who's not afraid to dive into the details
- Experience with grant writing desired
- At least eight to ten years of progressive experience in a similar role, and at least three to five years of experience in a leadership role preferred