United Way of Greater Chattanooga is searching for a Director, Impact Data and Insights. This is a full-time position and will report to the VP Community Investments. This person will be part of the Community Investment Department and supervise Graduate-level interns.
POSITION PURPOSE: In its mission of uniting people and resources in building a stronger, healthier community, United Way of Greater Chattanooga partners to design, support and grow systems that accelerate our Impact Agenda with a vision for a community where all people achieve their full human potential through education, stability, and health and well-being.
The Director of Impact Data and Insights will develop and lead the implementation of data strategy related to UWGC’s Impact Agenda. They will lead organizational efforts to design data collection, mine data, identify insights and communicate data to tell UWGC’s story and advance our Impact Agenda. They will work collaboratively both within the Community Investments (CI) department and with cross-departmental teams (eg. Fin/Ops, Philanthropy, Engagement, Marketing) to design standard reports and help the UWGC team to analyze these reports, develop insights, and take data-driven action.
- Refine and lead the organization’s Data Strategy as it relates to UWGC’s Impact Agenda, with the understanding that data is a key lever to advancing equity in our community. Specifically:
- Implementing the foundational data components of the United Way Equity Framework related to Data and increasing the use of disaggregated data whenever possible.
- Building the capacity of United Way funded programs and agencies to collect, report, and use disaggregated data.
- Using data to understand and effectively communicate about current and past structural and institutional patterns of discrimination and inequality, to build greater awareness and make the case for equity.
- Using data to identify root causes of issues and to create equity-specific impact goals and strategies.
- Using data to effectively frame issues and personal narratives within a broader community context.
- Identifying gaps and addressing inequities in United Way’s resource allocation and grantmaking processes.
- Using data to inform policy and advocacy strategies, and to address inequities in state and local policies
- Ensuring more equitable access to data for all community members.
- Design and work with other teammates to create dashboards that clarify results and our progress toward them at all levels and relevant geographies. Keep these dashboards updated and track their usage. Support staff and partners to access and use these dashboards in daily work.
- Organize and simplify complex data sets from relevant sources (e.g. American Community Survey, ALICE reports, state/local government, School Districts, other organizations, UWGC Annual Surveys, needs assessments, etc.) into user-friendly displays, reports, and digital content.
- Build out and maintain comprehensive dashboards (“data snapshots”) for every geography and every outcome associated with our work and Impact Agenda.
- Create and maintain public data portal of relevant data, to be hosted on our website, unitedwaycha.org.
- Maintain data displays and raw data in ways that make data easily accessible to appropriate audiences. Maintain the appropriate permissions on non-public data sources.
- Maintain fluency with technologies and platforms (e.g. Tableau, Microsoft Power BI) that can be leveraged to produce state-of-the-art data displays
- Provide training and support to other UWGC staff charged with data visualization.
- Design and oversee community needs assessment process every 3-5 years, informing Impact Agenda and community investments
- With partners within the Community Investment department, develop UWGC’s multi-year Impact Agenda
- Identify metrics and indicators aligned with Impact Agenda, specifically focused on mitigating disparities in our community
- Design and deliver annual “state of the community” data round tables and reports for our key constituents and partners
- Track progress toward achieving our Impact Agenda
- Work with partners, vendors, and/or contractors to develop written research-backed reporting about Impact Agenda
- Simplify complex data into understandable stories, run charts, and insights/takeaways. Mine datasets for bright spots and organize team members to do the same. Draft visuals and written content that tell the story of our work. Work with design, content, digital strategy, events, and resource development teams to use data to refine these drafts into audience-appropriate graphics and text.
- Lead a rigorous process to ensure that published data is appropriately vetted with partners, sourced, and explained. Represent UWGC’s Impact data infrastructure, analysis projects, and visualizations to the UWGC board of directors, key donors, and other stakeholders.
- In partnership with others on Data Team, support teams across the organization to use data for decision-making and action.
- Help teams to design and build standard reports for internal and external consumption.
- Provide hands-on support to analyze those reports to pull out insights and to use those insights to guide short-term decision making and longer-term strategy.
- Work across all departments/teams to identify and anticipate data needs, build solutions, and guide people to use those solutions to act.
- Work with management team to maintain and to promote the use of organizational dashboards that have views appropriate for our Board of Directors, management team, individual departments, and organization as a whole.
- Manage data collection and reporting processes related to United Way Worldwide membership, including Global Results Framework reporting, EDI and membership requirements, etc.
- Support the implementation of strategy related to UWGC’s data systems and integration across systems. Maximize each system as a tool to help end users use data to inform action. Facilitate communications and projects with a cross-departmental team of users/administrators. Ensure robust cross-training, knowledge management, and documentation on all systems. Manage relationships with relevant vendors.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proactively and collaboratively articulates strategies that help us move toward organizational and departmental objectives and key results
- Able to discuss complex data topics in ways that are appropriate to the audience
- Champions and reinforces organizational values and team priorities
- Able to execute high-impact work with exceptional attention to detail
- Takes responsibility for own actions, and tells the truth
- Understands the role that data plays in advancing equity and inclusion
- Stays current on the rules and regulations that govern their area of responsibility
- Recognizes and learns from mistakes.
- Develops direct reports and teammates to meet career goals and organizational objectives
- Handles conflict situations effectively; works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Able to work effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is unclear
- Confidence and humility to ask questions, admit and address challenges, “fail forward,” and learn and test continuous improvement tools and techniques.
- Strong project management, task completion, and follow-up skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree OR equivalent experience in information systems, social sciences or demography data analytics, statistics, or a relevant field. Master’s Degree highly preferred.
- Exceptional presentation and written communication skills.
- At least 3-4 years of experience gathering, organizing, analyzing and visualizing data in a visualization software. Proficiency with Microsoft Power BI, Tableau, or another data visualization tool.
- At least 3-4 four years of experience working with relational databases and reporting.
- Successful experience in community collaborative work
- Knowledge of the Chattanooga community preferred
- Proficiency with ARCGIS preferred.
- Familiarity with statistical package preferred
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Experience with publicly available data including census and government data
- Affinity for learning new software/technologies.
- Previous supervisory experience.
EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
This is a full-time position, and general hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Occasional irregular hours and weekend work may be required.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 10, 2022.