United Way Worldwide's Public Policy department is seeking a Director for Health Policy. The United Way Health Initiative is being developed to improve people’s health in the following areas: Maternal Health and Infant Well-being; Childrens’ Health Insurance Coverage; Nutrition and Prevention. Is responsible for the overall delivery of assigned work projects within the department/team. Determines work tactics, project deliverables and resource requirements. Participates in the development of departmental action plans, work processes and systems.
Note: This is a grant funded position, which expires on June 30, 2017. In the event the grant is renewed, the position will continue for the term of the renewal(s).
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION: An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Serve as lead expert on federal and state health policy, as a member of the United Way Worldwide’s public policy team, for the United Way system.
- Help formulate the health policy agenda and develop strategies, in consultation with VP for Public Policy, for advancing this agenda.
- Work with coalition partners to develop consistent messaging for the United Way system to use with policymakers and the media.
- Develop consistent messaging for the United Way system to use to help engage volunteers, donors, non-profits, businesses and others.
- Engage United Way corporate partners as well as other not-for-profits to find common ground for supporting United Way’s health priorities.
- Increase engagement and coordination of state and local United Ways on health issues, through communications (webinars, conference calls, e-mails, websites) regarding ongoing efforts as well as resources and potential partners to advance our public policy agenda.
- Share news and resources with the United Way system and our networks to assist ongoing efforts.
- Develop training opportunities to strengthen knowledge and understanding of health issues in the United Way system, as well as advocacy opportunities to advance these issues.
- Work with local United Ways to advance state level health policy agendas. (Some travel to states will be required.)
- Coordinate with United Way Worldwide Community Impact Leadership team and assist in developing United Way’s Health Strategy.
- Incorporate United Way brand development and messaging into advocacy efforts.
- Not engage in lobbying or otherwise attempt to influence legislation, but may be called upon to educate Members of Congress and Congressional staff regarding health policy issues.
- Other duties as assigned
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to Julia.email@example.com or call 703-836-7100 ext. 428 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni to apply.
If you are selected for an interview you will be contacted. Thank you.
Minimum requirements include a bachelor degree with at least eight to ten years of progressive experience in a similar role, and at least three to five years of experience in a leadership role.
• Have significant experience in analyzing national and state governmental health care policy. Knowledge of children’s health issues is strongly preferred. • 6-plus years experience with demonstrated skills and abilities necessary to perform required tasks • Significant experience as staff in U.S. Congress and/or state government strongly preferred • Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to prepare “talking points” and concise briefing memos • Demonstrated policy analysis and issue development abilities • Ability to provide excellent customer service • A team player • Demonstrated ability to work well with UWW board members and staff at all levels • Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite • Diplomacy and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment • Requires advanced technical/functional knowledge, skills and abilities.