Director, Foundation Relations
United Way Worldwide is seeking a self-starter to fill the position of Director of Foundation Relations. The Director works with the Vice President of Foundation Relations to advance the strategic growth of the foundation relations program at United Way Worldwide (UWW). The Director is responsible for managing a portfolio of 15-20 foundation prospects and funders, meeting or exceeding foundation revenue goals, deepening foundation relationships, and working closely with programs directors and senior leadership.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION
- Collaborating with program directors to understand programmatic needs and ensure that the proposed projects align with the organization's strategic goals.
- Contributing to the development of foundation donor strategies, pipeline management, including reporting deadlines, and stewardship planning.
- Researching potential foundation prospects whose funding priorities align with the organization's mission and projects. This involves reviewing foundation guidelines, past grant awards, and understanding the funder's interests and preferences.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with foundation representatives is crucial. The Director of Foundation Relations establishes connections with program officers, foundation directors, and decision-makers through networking, meetings, and events.
- Preparing compelling grant proposals, grant applications, and letters of inquiry. The director must effectively communicate the organization's mission, goals, and impact, while aligning the proposal with the foundation's funding priorities.
- Working with program directors to assist in developing funder reports and stewardship strategies.
- Collaborating with the finance team to develop budgets for grant proposals, ensuring that the proposed projects are financially feasible and align with the funding requirements.
- Staying knowledgeable of current trends in philanthropy and funding, both at the local and national levels, to identify emerging opportunities and potential shifts in foundation priorities.
- Keeping accurate and organized records of interactions, proposals, grant awards, and reports is essential for tracking progress, managing relationships, and ensuring compliance.
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, nonprofit development or related area
- Experience working with complex missions, ideally in a federated model.
- At least 5-7 years of experience building foundation relationships, including a history of meeting or exceeding personal revenue goals.
- Global organization experience a plus.
- Proven ability of shifting priorities with little notice.
The budgeted lifespan salary range for this position is currently $140,000 to $155,000 per year. Salaries are determined by several factors including applicant’s knowledge, skills, experience, position, equity, and market.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call (703) 683-7860 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.
Required degree level
Years of experience
- 5 - 10 years of experience
- $141,000 to $160,000 per year