December 6, 2019
Job Announcement: Director, Foundation & Corporate Relations
United Way of King County is a recognized leader in solving the community’s toughest challenges We are looking for a Director of Foundation and Corporate Relations who will design and implement an aggressive strategy to maximize and steward revenue from foundations, government agencies, and corporations. This individual is responsible for program grants, corporate gifts, and sponsorships in support of United Way’s impact. Reporting to the VP, Development, this position leads a team of four consisting of a grant writer and three corporate relations manage and is responsible for a minimum of $15 million annually. The Director serves as lead on grant strategy and reporting to ensure that United Way meets the reporting requirements and accounting standards set by grantors. We are a team of creative, self-motivated people who care deeply about creating community solutions. We are collaborative in nature and are seeking a colleague with their own set of sought-after skills to make us better together.
- Sets an aggressive grant and corporate development agenda for United Way; outlines goals and identifies risks and targets for growth. Develops, coordinates, and maintains an annual calendar of planned and opportunistic grant development activities.
- Leads planning and execution for sponsorship opportunities from identification to recognition.
- Develops annual new business development goals and ensures that new business is a priority for staff, board and other volunteers.
- Serves as liaison to Community Services Team to support development of high-impact programs and strategies that will appeal to both public and private funders. Reconciles the targeting of multiple programs eligible and/or competing for the same funding source.
- Directs the preparation of complex and varied grants and proposals in support of United Way goals. Writes and edits complex and varied government, foundation and corporate grant proposals, Letters of Intent, and amendments as required over the life of assigned grants; edits grant proposals for clarity, and strategic approach. Responsible for the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of grants submitted to government agencies and foundations, including adherence to relevant federal, state, and local regulations.
- Establishes direct reports’ priorities for work assignments, monitors progress, reviews work products and ensures that high-quality products are delivered in a timely manner.
- Develops and maintains external relationships to facilitate funding opportunities. Meets with funders, elected officials and community leaders to coordinate with other organizations regarding collaborative resource development efforts, including federal, state, and local agencies, local and national foundations and companies, non-profit organizations, K-12 schools, other United Ways, etc.
- Directs the preparation of reports on United Way’s impact with institutional funders from internal stakeholders.
- Strategizes with the major gifts team to secure support from family foundations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated success achieving ambitious fundraising goals in a competitive, fast-changing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to write effectively and to reach audiences at all levels.
- Excellent communication skills, including demonstrated ability to communicate with all levels of management and staff, as well as external stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal relationship and collaboration skills.
- Proven coaching and management skills.
- Demonstrated analytical, planning, and organization skill.
- Demonstrated ability to connect with corporate, government and foundation leaders
- Demonstrated ability to set goals and objectives, and the ability to apply this skill to United Way’s goals.
- Advanced knowledge of government funders and related processes and requirements.
- Strong knowledge of human services issues and program outcome evaluation.
- Deep familiarity with both the nonprofit sector and funding sources.
- Proven influencing skills and a successful sales track record demonstrating the ability to sell joyfully and fearlessly.
Education and/or Experience:
A successful candidate will possess a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, specializing in English, Communications, Business Administration, Social Services or a related field is required. Must have a minimum of seven years’ experience in development and/or corporate sponsorship, including 5 years’ supervisory/leadership experience supporting individual and team success. Experience in new business development and creation of compelling recognition strategies desired.
The annual recruitment range is $ 103,500 to $ 107,000, depending on successful experience and prior accomplishments. Don’t hesitate, please apply here now.
Note: All candidates MUST apply on our Careers Website in order to be considered for this position.
Additionally, we offer a full package of competitive benefits for our full-time, regular staff. Benefits include:
- Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and employee assistance services
- Annual accrual of 20 days paid time off
- 10 paid scheduled holidays
- 1 floating holiday and 1 discretionary day off
- Catastrophic leave
- Subsidized Orca Card Transit pass
- 403(b) retirement savings plan and employer match
- Other benefits that we are happy to discuss with you
We are an equal employment opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We strongly encourage people of color to apply.
We are an Employer of National Service: AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.