United Way of El Paso County is committed to improving the lives and futures of all people in the community. We bring together expertise, funding and volunteer support to positively impact education, health, basic needs, and financial stability. In partnership with others, we work to eliminate inequities experienced by diverse populations so that all people have a safe, healthy home environment, achieve their educational potential, and increase their financial stability. We commit to building bridges across cultural, racial, religious, and economic boundaries.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Finance and Administration contributes to the achievement of United Way of El Paso County’s (UWEPC) mission and vision by overseeing all matters related to accounting, finance and treasury functions as well as responsibility for developing the financial infrastructure and systems needed to safeguard UWEPC’s financial assets. The Director of Finance and Administration also has responsibility for information and systems technology (IST), and building and facilities.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Financial and Administrative
- Managing day to day financial functions, coordinating work among the finance team according to objectives and timelines.
- Development and oversight of the annual operating and capital budget.
- Preparation of cash flow projections and ensure adequate funding.
- Review, analysis, and reporting on monthly results; update strategic financial plans and forecasts; provide monthly financial reporting to internal and external stakeholders.
- Oversight of payroll function and ensuring compliance with all 403b plan documents and federal and state regulations.
- Serving as liaison with external investment manager regarding application of investment allocation decisions and reporting.
- Monitoring the performance and application of investment funds, currently valued at $4.5m
- Initial review of financial legal matters and contracts.
- Fiscal review, analysis and assisting leadership in managing UWEPC’s portfolio of programs to best balance between budgeted results and mission effectiveness.
- Managing administration by the Grant Administrators, including federal, state and private grants.
- Supervise administrative coordinator in managing all insurance policies.
- Preparation of all materials for board meetings and board committees, as needed.
- Preparation and if required, present summary financial information at meetings of the board of directors.
Fiscal and Legal Compliance and Controls
- Ensuring internal controls and systems are adequately designed and operating effectively.
- Ensuring completion of the annual financial statement audit and Single Audit, if required.
- Managing all tax and other required filings.
- Maintaining banking relationships.
Information Systems and Technology (IST)
- UWEPC’s technical operations which includes information technology and ensuring all technology systems and applications support the organization's goals and objectives.
- Serving as liaison with IST contractor, to include:
- Overseeing all IST operations infrastructure.
- Proposing strategic solutions and recommending new systems and software.
- Ensuring the maintenance of current projects and technology systems.
- Identifying vulnerabilities, the need for upgrades, and opportunities for improvement.
Staff Leadership and Management
- Recruit, supervise, and manage qualified and dedicated staff within UWEPC Finance Department.
- Plan and coordinate ongoing professional development and appropriate skills training for staff on pertinent topics.
- Supervise and manage staff workloads and performance plans.
- Provide strategic focus for the team, including encouraging collaboration between team members and other departments.
- Maintain working knowledge of all UWEPC programs, engagement and initiatives to serve as a strong representative and advocate for the organization.
- Seek and maintain strong community partnerships with local service providers and potential supporters.
- Cultivate a strong collaborative of response and engagement by convening partners to assess community needs and strategically provide services in collaboration with partners.
- Participate in recurring program and strategic meetings to assist in shaping the vision of UWEPC Community Impact products and partnerships.
- Advocate for UWEPC Community Impact products with community partners and stakeholders. Research new programs and services that may be relevant to the mission and values of UWEPC.
- Develop and cultivate successful business/personal relationships with key employees and CEO, including elected officials and key County and City staff.
- Facilitate relationships with partners for direct services and programming to clients including MOUs, reporting, and information-sharing.
- Work effectively with other teams at United Way to provide appropriate support and value to partners. Leverage relationships to create additional opportunities with other organizations and individuals.
- Foster creative thinking and facilitate future partnerships within corporate accounts.
- Attend key community events and activities as a way to promote United Way of El Paso County’s mission, vision and core values becoming a defined community ambassador for United Way.
- Cultivate community support for United Way by maintaining contacts with local organizations, businesses and individuals.
Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, business management or related area. Five (5) years of professional knowledge and experience in accounting, finance, auditing, federal grant accounting, or similar business activities. Plus a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in supervision and management with strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
Knowledge of the non-profit and social services sector is essential. Manages time effectively
Valid driver’s license, insurance and vehicle required.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule with the possibility of early morning, evening, and weekend work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and/or hear. Continual use of the hands with wrist and finger movement using a keyboard is required. Specific vision abilities required by this job include long hours viewing a computer monitor screen and occasionally lifting up to 25 pounds.
The employee may occasionally travel using personal vehicle and/or work outsidenormal office environment. Must possess a valid driver’s license, current auto insurance, and daily access to reliable vehicle.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Experience working in collaborative environments and cross functionally to achieve goals.
- Strong project management, process improvement, or other applicable experience.
- Strong analytical skills using data to support decisions.
- Problem-solver and self-starter who initiates solutions; collaborates and negotiates effectively with team members, partners, and stakeholders. Strong ability to distill and communicate complex issues and concepts to others.
- Personal attributes of honesty, integrity, professional behavior, tact, sense of urgency, and sense of humor.
- Extensive computer literacy with proficiency in Excel and other MS Office applications is required.
- Intermediate knowledge of virtual meeting platforms i.e. Zoom, GoTo Meeting, Microsoft Teams; and intermediate knowledge of case management software and workflow.
- Experience with accounting software packages or modular accounting systems. (MIP preferred).
- Equity Mindset
- Network Mindset
- Learning Mindset
- ·Think Strategically
- Applies appropriate strategic logic to decisions and initiatives. Identifies efforts that will have the greatest strategic impact.
- Promote Collaboration
- Fosters a sense of teamwork, leverages differences, and facilitates the effective interaction and contribution of others to achieve goals.
- Engage and Inspire
- Articulates and inspires commitment to a plan of action aligned with organizational mission and goals.
- Inspire Trust
- Gains the confidence and trust of others through principled leadership and sound business ethics.
- Champions new ideas and initiatives and creates an environment that supports innovation.
- Focus on Community
- Ensures the delivery of exceptional service and value to the communities we serve.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
- Behaviors reflect a belief that individuals from diverse backgrounds lead to a more successful organization.
- Educates oneself about DEI issues within the organization and community.
- Demonstrates a willingness to become aware of and address one’s own implicit biases.
- Deliberately works to include individuals from underrepresented backgrounds in efforts both internally and externally as appropriate.
- Identifies and integrates the tools and resources needed to create more equitable environments.