REPORTS TO: President/Chief Executive Officer
SUPERVISES: Finance & Administrative Associate
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Directs and manages the financial resources of the organization including budgeting, auditing, accounting, monthly and quarterly financial reporting, and cash flow control. Safeguards assets through maintenance of proper controls. Manages administrative functions including regulatory reporting, insurance matters, human resources and benefit management, and legal issues.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
- Participates as a member of the Leadership Team in strategic planning and implementation to accomplish BUW’s mission.
- Acts as a communications resource, providing year-round visibility for BUW.
- Develops strategic partnerships with other United Ways, not for profit organizations, agency leaders and other organizations.
- Attends appropriate meetings, seminars and events.
- Represents BUW as needed in public venues such as special events, community activities and organizations. Requires flexible schedule to attend events that may occur in the early morning, evening and weekends.
- Provides staff leadership and support to both internal and external UW committees as assigned.
- Acts on behalf of the organization, providing supervision for staff members including the assignment of work responsibilities, the assessment of competency, the timely writing and delivery of performance appraisals and recommendations for salary increases, participation in the hiring process, and makes recommendations to terminate employment relationships as may be necessary.
Accounting and Budgeting
- Reviews and approves all journals entries; reviews ledgers for accuracy and adjusts as needed. Ensures appropriate level of documentation.
- Supervises staff in Finance Department including functions of accounts payable, receivable, pledge processing including donor designation recording and payments.
- Supervises staff in maintenance of all cash accounts including special accounts.
- Monitors investments and cash flow for optimum cash gain. Responsible for company borrowing with approval by CEO and/or Board Treasurer. Acts as liaison between Finance Committee and bank.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements from general ledger. Generates monthly department level financial reports and responds to inquiries and resolves issues.
- Reviews monthly bank reconciliations and reconciles bank withdrawals.
- Supports and guides departments in preparing yearly operating budget and prepares overall budget. Assists departments in forecasting and preparing schedules and projections for budget adherence during the year.
- Schedules preparation for year-end audit, Form 990 and MA PC filing; acts as primary contact person for the independent auditor’s financial questions, requirements and schedules. Oversees successful audit completion, review and submission.
- Works with auditing firm to ensure all local, state and federal reports are completed in conformity with Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS code, as well as related reports and administrative work regarding payroll, retirement (ERISA), tax returns, etc.
- Provides analysis of data to all facets of the organization.
- Oversees fixed asset and property related processing and reporting.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, documentation/mapping, updating and auditing of financial policies and procedures.
- Ensures monthly grant reports are provided to Community Impact Department and after approval, requests grant funding reimbursement based on grant expenses report generated by Finance Assistant and approved by Director of Community Impact.
- Supervises and backs up the preparation and input of cash receipts, accounts payable and data entry.
- Serves as back-up for campaign receiving and verifies campaign envelopes in presence of at least one other person.
- Reviews and finalizes campaign payments in donor management system.
- Assists Director of Development in completing any UWW reporting requirements, including Database 2 reports.
- Coordinates with Director of Development and staff to monitor campaign progress and status.
- Coordinates with Director of Development to ensure necessary documentation is provided by workplace campaigns for the timely payment of designations.
- Oversees all tasks involved in managing and administering employee payroll activities including employee benefits.
- Oversight and administration of HR compliance and policies, payroll and benefits.
Office Procedures and Systems
- Reviews and presents office improvement recommendations and requirements to President.
- Obtains specific acquisition information on costs and availability through a competitive bidding process.
- Makes purchases of office equipment and furniture as authorized by the President and the Board of Directors.
- Evaluates, updates and documents existing office procedure systems and policies. Identifies, creates and documents new policies as necessary.
Evaluation and Measurement Responsibilities
- Evaluates and analyzes all accounting and budgeting programs and develops appropriate strategies to address the results.
- Assists departments in conducting statistical measurements and analyses of all initiatives and helps interpret that information to advance all development and investment activities.
Staff Support to Selected Committees and Governing Bodies
Provides direct, primary staff support to:
- Finance Committee
- Audit Committee
- Investment Committee
- Human Resources
- Any Finance related ad hoc committees as developed by the Board of Directors
Provides indirect, secondary staff support as required to:
- Executive Committee
- Board of Directors
Staff Support to United Way Programs
- As assigned by the President, provides staff support and professional guidance to resource development and community investment processes.
Schedule Flexibility and Travel Requirement
- Requires flexible schedule to attend events that may occur in the early morning, evening, and weekends.
- To fulfill the responsibilities of the position, travel to various companies and/or agencies is required within and outside Berkshire County. Employee must have valid driver’s license and availability of a motor vehicle. Overnight travel to various seminars, courses, conferences, etc. may also be required.
EXTERNAL: Corporate, business and community leaders, finance, banking and investment community, volunteers, vendors and the general public.
INTERNAL: Treasurer, Finance Committee, Investment Committee, Executive Committee, Board of Directors, and all office staff, with direct reporting relationship to President.
PREFERRED JOB REQUIREMENTS
A. EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Business Administration.
B. EXPERIENCE: Minimum five years accounting background with at least three years in supervisory position.
C. KNOWLEDGE: Detailed working knowledge of general accounting principles and A.I.C.P.A. Standards. Broad knowledge of Human Services systems, including an understanding of social service policies, programs, United Way operations, and knowledge of community, political, social, business, and economic factors.
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills and experience.
- Detailed working knowledge of general accounting principles and A.I.C.P.A. Standards.
- Strong computer background with accounting applications; proficiency with database management.
- Ability to properly interpret financial transactions for general ledger entry and production of accurate financial statements.
- Ability to use historical data and research information for analysis and budget projections.
- Ability to recognize and institute proper accounting controls for treatment of cash, subsidiary and general ledgers.
- Familiarity with business insurance requirements.
- Ability to work with committees and boards to meet financial reporting needs of the organization.
- Ability to measure and evaluate results of strategies and activities.
- Project management experience.
- Proven time management, planning, organizational and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated communication skills (written, oral and listening).
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, to be part of a team and to meet deadlines.
- Previous experience working with Microsoft Office required, and experience with fundraising/database software.
- Ability to become proficient in utilization of office database system for daily tasks by seeking support and training from the Coordinator of Information Systems and Technology.
Please include cover letter, resume, and 3 references. EOE