Title: Senior Accountant
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
The Senior Accountant demonstrates a broad knowledge of all accounting, financial and business principles to oversee the daily activities of the finance department including bookkeeping, account management, accounts receivable, and accounts payable. Safeguards the organization’s financial resources through ensuring regular monitoring, audits and reconciliations. Responsible for managing matters of significance and demonstrating sound business judgement in overseeing the campaign maintenance, audits and daily cash receipts.
The UWCE is synonymous with charitable service and strives to positively impact the issues people care most about in our community. All UWCE employees are critical to our work and expected to present the best image of our organization as they represent the United Way in our community. All employees are expected to effectively manage their responsibilities, adhere to acceptable principles in matters of personal conduct and exhibit a high degree of personal integrity at all times.
Position Requirements & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree required with major in Accounting, Finance or relevant field.
- Proven experience as director of finance or similar role required. Financial experience in a non-profit environment required.
- In-depth knowledge of corporate finance, accounting principles and laws, best practices, and financial analysis and forecasting required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of payroll regulations, including all federal and state returns required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer programs including general and financial software packages required. Must have demonstrated capability to learn new systems. Experience in QuickBooks and Salesforce software preferred.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Manages day to day financial functions, coordinating work among the finance team according to objectives and timetables.
- Oversees the specific daily activities of the finance department including bookkeeping, account management, accounts receivable, and accounts payable.
- Safeguards the organization’s financial resources through ensuring regular monitoring, audits and reconciliations. Oversees all audit and internal control operations.
- Stays in tune with financial planning and forecasting of the company by analyzing performance and risks, maintaining constant awareness of the company’s financial position in order to conduct analysis and make forecasts and reports to leadership.
- Proactively acts to prevent and swiftly address problems or errors.
- Prepare monthly financial statements.
- Oversees the company’s finance IT system.
- Proactively prepares timely and detailed reports on financial performance on a regular basis as well as specific reports and statistical data as requested.
- Ensures adherence to financial laws and guidelines.
- Oversee daily responsibilities of Finance team members, coaching and guiding according to goals and best practices.
Traits & Distinguising Characteristics:
- Maintains a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrates analytical thought processes with a strategic perspective.
- Maintains exceptionally high standards of integrity and confidentiality.
- Takes ownership of work and demonstrates willingness to accept responsibility for decisions and actions.
- Seeks opportunities to streamline and automate processes for efficiency.
- Communicates effectively and professionally with internal and external stakeholders.
- Seeks and receives feedback graciously and with a dedication to continuous improvement.
- Demonstrates commitment to quality in every task performed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those necessary to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job responsibilities.
- Much of the work of this position is completed while sitting at a desk, using a computer and phone. Requires talking, hearing and visual acuity sufficient to perform the major functions.
- Occasionally includes reaching above shoulder height, below the waist or lifting up to 25 pounds for office equipment, supplies and materials.
Experience: 5 Years Nonprofit Experience Minimum
Salary: $50,000 - $55,000