NOTE: This position is a repost. If you previously applied, you will be considered.
The Director, Executive Communications provides strategic communications support for the President & CEO of United Way Worldwide and select others as assigned (i.e., Board Chair). Work products include speeches, presentations, talking points, correspondence, social media posts, op-eds, blogs, thought-leadership papers on a variety of topics, as well as background material and research for particular events and meetings.
NOTE: Position is located at our Office in Alexandria, VA.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Craft speeches, talking points, presentations, and other communications, to specific audiences on specific topics, while taking into account the organization’s approved message platform and strategic direction.
- Work with meeting and event managers and content experts to gather specific information and details required to ensure the CEO is prepared to either present or participate in public and private conversations. Coordinate and collaborate with the CEO’s scheduling assistant on all matters requiring CEO engagement.
- Provide original thinking on how United Way vision, mission, and goals are connected to external events and the ever-changing environment. Find opportunities to leverage such events to promote the messages of the CEO.
- Research and stay up-to-date on relevant and selected topics for use in preparing communications.
- Use research and writing assignments to keep strategic messages fresh and relevant, help shape thinking and inform ideas on critical issues and priorities.
- Travel with the CEO when requested to provide general support, including advance work, meeting preparation, logistics coordination, communication with constituents and staff, as well as follow up to specific requests.
- Archive all presentations, speeches, and talking points, for easy accessibility and future use and reference.
- Serve as general communications liaison between Executive Office and Marketing as requested.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience.
- Six to eight years of progressive experience in a similar role.
- Three to five years of owning and initiating the work rather than being assigned the work is desirable.
- Authorship of original work.
- The ideal candidate will more likely subscribe to The Economist than they would Entertainment Weekly.
- This person will be able to keep up with and match the CEO’s extensive and flexible travel schedule knowing that the work occurs in all time zones across the globe.
- They must be as flexible and responsive as is necessary.
- Passion for the mission and excitement for the delivery of the work must be palpable in the person who holds this position.
- In addition to being an experienced writer, the position requires strategic thinking, excellent oral communication skills, comprehensive proficient computer skills, as well as exceptional teamwork and interpersonal skills. Must be available for periodic travel.
NOTE: If you are selected for an interview you will be contacted.
We have established a salary range of $105,000 to $130,000 for this position. Specific pay is determined by your experience in that range. Highly recommend applicants include salary requirements when completing application.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail Jennifer.Chavez@uww,unitedway.org or call 703-683-7874 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more. Most benefits begin on the first day of the month following your start date.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.