United Way of Metropolitan Dallas is a social change organization that unites the community to create opportunity and access for all North Texans to thrive, challenging the systemic barriers associated with race. Together with our committed change-seekers, we are mobilizing a movement for lasting change. We partner with hundreds of corporations, philanthropic organizations, educational institutions, nonprofit service providers, city and state government entities and representatives, advocates, and community leaders to ensure all our neighbors have access to education, income and health—the building blocks of opportunity. And we believe in the power of unity and equity to make a meaningful impact right here in North Texas.
The Director, Events functions as a strategic member of the Resource Development team planning and executing high-quality programs on behalf of United Way. Responsible for producing special events that reinforce United Way’s message for the community at large, businesses, volunteers and individual contributors. Responsibilities include assisting with event strategies and concepts, budget development/management, logistics, staffing, and post-event evaluation to improve event results and processes. Additionally, this position works closely with the full Resource Development team to understand donor interests and develop an event environment to support development objectives and sponsorship strategies.
United Way of Metropolitan Dallas is fully committed in all aspects of our work to becoming a fully inclusive, multicultural, antiracist organization. Those who share in this commitment and who are willing to actively engage antiracist ideas, behaviors, and actions are invited to apply for open positions.
To perform the job successfully, competitive applicants should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Mission-Focused: Create real social change that leads to improving lives in our community.
- Relationship-Oriented: Is able to communicate effectively to develop, grow and sustain productive relationships. Knows how to capture and record relevant information and how to interpret and utilize the information to forge partnerships, collaborate, cultivate, grow, sustain and strengthen internal and external relationships.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad impact.
- Stewards: Our actions, behaviors, and decisions on behalf of our donors must be transparent, meet the highest ethical standards, and align with organizational goals.
Manage logistics and tactics for all events, including but not limited to: selecting vendors, securing location, overseeing the design of print and electronic collateral, selecting décor, coordinating sound and lighting, selecting room layouts and menus, choosing entertainment, managing agenda and speaker components, and overseeing day of execution.
- Support development of annual event plan with VP, Development Strategy and Resource Development Senior Leaders that addresses key organizational and development
- Responsible for United Way external and internal events
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of United Way initiatives and impact and ensure events have clear United Way messaging and impact focus.
- Oversee logistics for all events including brainstorming, vendor search and relationships, contract review, food and beverage details, production needs
- Develop and maintain successful working relationships with vendors including event consultants and be main point of contact for them
- Manage event promotion plan closely coordinating with Marking team on invitations, website, social media needs, photography, videography
- Work with VP, Development Strategy coordinating agenda, speaker securing and prep, script writing and program execution elements
- Communicate with key volunteers (Board, Campaign Chairman, etc.) as appropriate regarding event program, flow, responsibilities, etc.
- Prepare and meet budgetary objectives; source in-kind support to help offset expenses
- Manage process of accounts payable/receivable detailing revenue and expenses for all event related items.
- Organize and lead as appropriate internal planning meetings during development and strategy phase, and continue regular check-ins for large programs.
- Participate in post-event debrief with supervisor and respective departments to capture lessons learned to improve future events
- Develop ways to measurably increase event participation and effectiveness
- Matrix-manage event needs from all Resource Development teams and Community Impact programs
- Reassess current events and sponsorship programs and recommend changes, as well as new approaches and opportunities
- Stay abreast of event trends and best practices in Dallas and among other local United Ways
- Other duties as assigned
- Collaborate with VP, Development Strategies and Resource Development Senior Leadership to develop competitive sponsorship packages
- Assist in tracking sponsorships from “ask “ through confirmation
- Ensure the delivery of all promised benefits
- Work with VP, Development Strategies to prepare and deliver summary of benefit statements to all sponsors (post-event)
- Identify ways by which sponsors may further leverage their sponsorships through marketing and promotional opportunities
- Stay abreast of sponsorship trends and best practices in Dallas and among other local United Ways
- Undergraduate Degree in Communications, Public Relations, or Marketing or equivalent experience.
- CMP and/or CSEMP preferred but not required.
- Minimum three years related experience in events and sponsorships required; non-profit events production experience strongly preferred.
- Outstanding planning and organizational skills; able to meet deadlines.
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to develop event and sponsorship strategies, conceptualize unique and memorable events, and measure.