The Director, Digital Marketing & Communications is responsible for managing and enhancing the digital channels and platforms (social media, websites, e-communications) for United Way Worldwide (UWW) on the local, national and global scales. This position combines strategic and tactical expertise in developing and leading digital marketing and communications initiatives and campaigns with superb leadership qualities to mentor, coach, and build strong relationships organization- and enterprise-wide. This individual will possess a strategic thinking, problem-solving mentality, strong digital online community and campaign organizing abilities with technical knowledge. A strong understanding of Web design and development best practices required as well. This position is responsible for the front-end operations of all national and global public websites and social media, ensuring engaging and current content, strategic alignment, and brand compliance. The Director works with domestic, international, and local United Ways to achieve a cohesive and experientially rich digital presence. The Director, Digital Marketing & Communications will also be responsible for leading the digital strategy for UWW products such as MyFreeTaxes, MySmartMoney, cause marketing partnerships, and disaster relief efforts while managing and coordinating the vendors on these projects.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION:
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Lead the team that maintains, expands, and coordinates United Way’s global presence in social media and websites (unitedway.org, MyFreeTaxes.com, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Lead, mentor, coach, and develop a team of two (social media manager and Web developer) as well as several vendor relationships.
- Develop and implement an ongoing UWW digital marketing and communications strategy.
- Work with the Content team, PR team, and content platform vendor (Newscred) to develop, maintain, and implement a digital content strategy in support of key organizational initiatives, positioning, and products
- Manage multiple projects and competing priorities in an organized project management based approach
- Develop the strategy and manage the EOY digital fundraising campaign for UWW.
- Coordinate with Digital Services and the Communications team to develop and implement an ongoing email marketing strategy for UWW.
- Assist local United Ways with their work in the interactive space: create/lead learning opportunities; host webinars and workshops; create interactive tools and resources.
- Work with internal stakeholders to develop digital marketing strategies as needed for products, partnership announcements, initiatives, disaster recovery, and cause marketing campaigns.
- Lead a continued SEO campaign, to include a strategy for all United Way sites, United Way presence on partner sites and social sites, content sharing, content tagging, and other tactics.
- Using available Web/social tracking systems (Google Analytics, Sprout Social, Trackmaven, Meltwater) compile online engagement reports and monitor activity/success then share findings with the Communications team to better refine messaging and engagement strategies.
- Coordinate with Creative Studio team on website and social assets.
- In partnership with UWW’s agency of record, the social media manager and Creative Studio, lead the ongoing evolution of the Digital Brand Guidelines as well as Social Media Guidelines for our network of local United Ways.
- Keep abreast of emerging trends and technologies, interface with IT and other internal stakeholders to ensure smooth implementations. Serve as an enterprise-wide resource and knowledge manager.
- Serve as the Marketing Liaison to the United Way Worldwide Digital Services.
- Other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor’s degree with at least 10 years of progressive experience in digital marketing, website design, content management, and organizational leadership. Proven experience engaging and growing consumer interest via digital channels. Strong track record of managing global Web properties, external and internal. Expertise in Web optimization and Web analytics, marketing, communications, Web design, and creating multi-channel user journeys to acquire, activate, and retain supporters. Exceptional communications/interpersonal skills to clearly articulate ideas, frame challenges, highlight opportunities, and offer solutions. Excels in mentoring and coaching a team. Should be self-motivated, highly flexible, and a fast learner. Experience with Salesforce.com (CRM), Expression Engine (CMS), and BSD Tools strongly preferred. Experience with paid digital media, including utilizing services such as Adwords, promoting YouTube videos, Facebook Ads & boosts, and sponsored Tweets to drive key outcomes and goals a plus. Familiarity with social monitoring and reporting platforms such as Trackmaven, Sprout Social and Meltwater or similar also a plus.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-836-7100, ext. 324 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.