United Way Worldwide envisions a world where all individuals and families achieve their human potential through education, income stability and healthy lives. United Way advances the common good by recruiting people and organizations who bring the passion, expertise and resources needed to get things done. United Way's global mission is to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities to advance the common good. We invite you to be a part of the change – to Live United.
This position will lead, design and build the next generation digital engagement platform for United Way Worldwide to transform our business and drive donor engagement, acquisition and retention. It develops the necessary strategies and programs required to attract and engage new doers and donors, reach/exceed financial goals and build the United Way brand by driving traffic, revenue and maximizing efficiency in digital marketing channels. This is a leadership role with a high degree of cross-functional coordination across the network. This role develops viral content plans in line with the United Way brand identity and our desire to retain and inspire our existing donors/volunteers while attracting new ones. The leader will leverage his/her expertise to support and expand digital campaigns across our multi-channel mix.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION:
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Architect, communicate and build alignment on key digital journeys that drive new donor acquisition and deepen relationship among existing donors. Initial focus will be on journeys that tie digital campaigns to United Way’s core mission and impact areas creating deeper understanding of United Way’s work and resulting in increased brand advocacy and loyalty among donors.
- Engage, influence and support partners across the organization to implement designed journeys: customize content and experiences to match the doer/donor intent on each journey.
- Clearly define content distribution during particular stages of the donor/volunteer journey.
- Identifying “up-sell and cross-sell” opportunities through content analysis, and deploying responsive content assets and re-targeting programs for higher conversion rates.
- Create new and innovative brand communication proposals through a digital lens based on historical information, current trends & experiences to help evolve our digital footprint.
- Collaborate with analytics and donor insight team members to leverage and enhance existing data and analytics, and develop additional research and data sources as necessary, to inform strategy development and ongoing measurement and optimization.
- Measure and communicate results on key performance indicators: Are we achieving targeted results along the key touch points in the designed journeys? Synthesize insights to create actionable recommendations to further drive results.
- Create vision and roadmap for developing new capabilities to activate the designed journeys. Working cross-organizationally, design Sponsor investment proposals and lead implementation of major cause-related marketing and co-branding projects.
- Develops internal communications and presentations that are delivered to cross functional teams and senior leadership to socialize the digital journey strategies, results and programs.
- Ensure digital marketing excellence, ensuring the highest possible brand and consumer experience.
- As needed, integrate digital activities across various functions including but not limited to (digital) PR, events and volunteer engagement, advertising, media, and brand experiences.
- Collaborate with the operations team to ensure the overall program/projects are on track.
- Build Social Media planning and delivery capabilities with the necessary tools and partnerships.
- Other duties as assigned.
From a strategic standpoint, the candidate must possess a strong understanding of what makes a powerful narrative and how it is best repeated across audiences leveraging digital platforms; i.e. how to tell a story using words, images, or audio and an understanding of how to create content that draws an audience. The candidate should be proactive and strategic about finding and telling stories across digital channels and media outlets and identifying game changing platforms and methods for distributing and amplifying our message. The ideal candidate should possess an extensive background in digital marketing and/or communications. The successful candidate will be a seasoned professional with demonstrated success holding progressively responsible positions in marketing and communications with a focus on creating compelling brand experiences, messaging, and identifying emerging market trends utilizing digital channels. He or she should be connected to United Way’s mission, and motivated to enhance one of the world’s best-known and most trusted brands.
Required Skills / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field such as marketing, journalism, communications or related field
- 10+ years related digital marketing experience in B2C or B2B2C brands; previous experience working with a premium positioned brand and understanding tactics that can both build and potentially erode brand equity a plus.
- Proven track record in digital marketing including:
- experience leading a digital marketing team, delivering brand communications via digital and direct to consumer marketing campaigns
- experience working across different functions related to digital marketing including digital media marketing, SEM, SEO, eCommerce, social media, mobile development, web development, analytics, CRM and user experience
- experience delivering effective and innovative digital strategies across digital and social and content.
- Strong and effective creative project management and ability to lead and direct outside resources
- Ability to manage multiple projects on various levels with different and converging timelines
- Results oriented leader with ability to develop and communicate big-picture vision and strategy, and deliver results through practical, disciplined execution. Demonstrated success in developing strategies and roadmaps that directly led to measurable business results.
- Excellent communication skills. Strong leadership presence. Effective storyteller in evangelizing strategies and new directions.
- Builds highly engaged and high-performing teams; identifies and nurtures talent; develops team expertise in emerging areas.
- Intellectual curiosity. Optimistic about future possibilities and a catalyst for change.
- Strong collaboration and partnership skills. Ability to effectively influence stakeholders and gain consensus at all levels of the organization.
- Solid understanding of web metrics, digital analytics, and ability to generate, analyze and interpret data
- Ability to translate complex and varied inputs including digital behavioral data and analytics, market research, industry and competitive trends and more, into a clear, cohesive narrative that leads to actionable strategies
Desired Skills / Experience:
- Strong Salesforce.com product knowledge across all Clouds
- The curiosity and drive to keep in pace with the latest technology innovations, and new and emerging digital trends.
- Team player able to lead and work effectively at all levels of an organization with the ability to influence others to move toward consensus.
- The ability to recognize challenges and opportunities, drive ideas, and map the digital solution options and capabilities to necessary business outcomes.
- Strong situational analysis, negotiation and decision-making abilities.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-836-7100 ext. 428 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, 403(b) plan, paid time off, family sick leave, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. Please apply via the online system. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.