The Director, Digital Advocacy is responsible for developing the strategy and implementation of digital advocacy tactics and campaigns for United Way Worldwide and the United Way Network. You coordinate with internal stakeholders on communications strategy and individual engagement. You serve as the primary point of contact for public policy priorities for internal and external communications including donor engagement campaigns.
The Director, Digital Advocacy is also responsible for providing technical assistance and training to strengthen local United Ways in developing and implementing digital advocacy strategies as well as policy and advocacy strategies. The successful candidate will serve as a point of coordination for the Network’s policy-advocacy capacity building efforts including national trainings, Capitol Hill Days, regional and affinity group conferences, and fly-ins for local and state United Way staff and board members.
You report to the Vice President, Policy & Advocacy and work collaboratively on a daily basis with other members of the Public Policy Team, which is a part of United Way Worldwide’s U.S. Network. In your role as Director, Digital Advocacy, you work collaboratively to advise and support execution of departmental goals and strategy. You will communicate policy and advocacy priorities with internal and external stakeholders and work with a range of other staff within United Way Worldwide.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
• Plan and execute advocacy trainings for the United Way Network, with a focus on effective digital advocacy and individual engagement strategies.
• Lead individual engagement strategy and integration of public policy and advocacy into emerging products (i.e., Salesforce Philanthropy Cloud, Digital Services Campaigns, etc.).
• In partnership with Public Policy team subject matter experts, develop and manage digital advocacy and individual engagement campaigns.
• In partnership with Marketing and Communications colleagues, develop innovative digital strategies to communicate policy priorities and engage new individuals, identify opportunities for engagement on digital channels including social media and blogs, execute digital advocacy campaigns, and serve as primary liaison for all public policy requests and strategy.
• In partnership with Affinity Group staff, develop digital advocacy and individual engagement campaigns for Women United and Emerging Leaders.
• Provide strategy and digital content to senior leaders at United Way Worldwide to advance policy priorities and increase United Way’s positioning as a thought leader.
• Develop rapid response materials for digital channels including advising on strategy and writing sample copy.
• Conduct research and analysis on digital advocacy strategies and platforms and disseminate best practices. Lead RFP process for digital advocacy platforms and tools for United Way Worldwide and the United Way Network.
• Conduct data analysis and reporting on digital advocacy campaigns and individual engagement.
• Monitor federal elected official engagement with United Ways on social media channels.
• Manage, edit, and update public policy web properties including but not limited to external public policy landing pages, external calls to action, and internal webspace such as United Way Online and Workplace.
Network Capacity Building
• Organize, participate in, and conduct advocacy trainings to build the capacity of the United Way Network, including but not limited to:
United Way Advocacy Forum and Capitol Hill Day.
Council of States convenings.
United Way Regional Conferences.
Quarterly public policy webinars.
Additional national and state Network events.
• Plan and execute advocacy training for United Way Network affinity group staff and members.
• Coordinate and support in-district meetings and facilitate opportunities for local United Ways to build relationships with their federal elected officials.
• Manage communications to United Way Network on public policy issues and learning opportunities.
• Provide consultation to local United Ways on advocacy and public policy as needed.
Public Policy and Advocacy
• Manage one to two federal public policy issues, such as housing or child care. Lead advocacy strategies for policy issues through public awareness campaigns, grassroots and grasstops mobilization, digital advocacy, direct lobbying, and national partnerships.
• Support other public policy and civic engagement campaigns as needed.
Other duties as assigned
Minimum requirements include:
• Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience.
• Eight years of advanced-level experience in a similar role.
• Familiarity with the United Way Network and federal policy landscape is strongly preferred.
• Experience with advanced digital advocacy strategies, proven success with grassroots or individual engagement campaigns, and deploying capacity building strategies to advance the organizations’ goals.
• The role also requires advanced public policy knowledge, skills and abilities; excellent verbal and written communication skills; an ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, build relationships, and work collaboratively; and, excellent project management and Microsoft Office Suite skills.
Note: If you are selected for an interview you will be contacted. Thank you.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE
• We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
• We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
• We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
• We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
• We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.