LOCATION: Boston, Attleboro, or Beverly, MA
POSITION TITLE: Director, Development Systems
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Development Strategy, Systems, and Operations
STATUS: Full time, Non-Exempt (37.5 hours per week)
SALARY RANGE: $75,000 - $85,000
About United Way:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay seeks to reduce the obstacles preventing individuals from reaching their full potential. Focused on driving long-term systemic solutions that communities can embrace, it targets efforts in the areas of child and youth development, housing, and economic mobility. United Way is a locally governed and independently operated United Way-one of 1,400 across the country that together form a national movement to create sustainable systemic change. United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley currently evaluates, guides, and invests over $45 million annually in a portfolio of over 300 community-based organizations. It spearheads public policy initiatives tackling the most pressing community issues, making a direct and sustained difference in the lives of individuals.
United Way also mobilizes thousands of volunteers, philanthropists, and companies annually and raises funding through generous donors who understand that change cannot happen without significant investments. During the Covid-19 pandemic, United Way mobilized its deep partnerships with nonprofits, state and municipal leaders, and businesses to:
- Deploy over $25 million in Covid-19 relief and recovery funds
- Provide more than 400,000 people with emergency financial assistance, helping them to pay for food, housing, utilities, and other essential needs
- Field nearly 500,000 calls for assistance with Covid-19 resources, mental health support and other essential needs through United Way's 2-1-1 hotline
Today, the United Way is making a purposeful shift to an equity driven vision to advance an economically-just region, where access to financial opportunity is universal and prosperity is shared across race and ethnicity.
The Director, Development Systems is responsible for driving all efforts related to development systems. This role will assess, design, implement, monitor, and deliver continuous improvement in Development data and reporting systems and processes to support department-wide success and create efficiencies across the department and the organization. Under the guidance of the Vice President, Development Strategy, Systems, and Operations (Vice President) this role works to ensure that Development team has access to clear, current, accurate, and relevant data and reports they need to achieve their goals. The person in this role must have the ability to manage staff across the departments and work collaboratively across departments within the organization. Success in this role will lead to: effective management of departmental progress towards goals; improved annual and multi-year pipeline projections; as well as improved donor acquisition, retention, and growth across the frontline fundraising streams.
The position is responsible for developing, refining, and improving development systems via three distinct areas of work: designing and implementing development systems, conducting data analysis and reporting, and overseeing research and documentation. This position will have organizational management and coaching of two positions: (1) Manager of Development Systems and Research and (2) Coordinator of Reporting and Analytics. The person in this role will have responsibilities in the following areas:
I. Development Systems, Reporting & Data Analysis
- Design and improve development systems for data management and reporting to support revenue generation and engage more people in United Way's work.
- Provide accurate and reliable data and reporting to team members department-wide. Respond in partnership to requests for additional reporting, prioritizing key projects with transparency.
- Design and implement workflow procedures to facilitate cultivation, solicitation, engagement and stewardship strategies.
- Regularly report on departmental progress to goals, including revenue targets, donor acquisition and retention in support of portfolio management.
- Establish and oversee ongoing plan and processes to clean and maintain accurate data within the donor database, ensuring development revenue pipeline is up-to-date to support annual and multi-year revenue projections.
- Develop processes and dashboards to accurately track revenue, donor, and volunteer metrics to inform department strategies.
- Maintain and analyze development data to identify trends and emerging strategies for success in fundraising and engagement.
- Produce regular and customized reports for development, finance, and board committees to ensure effective tracking and management of donations and proper tracking and follow up of donors.
- Conduct annual Development Systems audit and implement improvements to support team efficiency.
- Optimize usage of existing and new technology including onboarding and training staff in data and reporting systems, available tools and resources, and determining systematic needs for the future, in partnership with the Operations Department.
- Support staff in CRM database use across the Department, as needed.
- Serve as the department's representative and project manager in the assessment of and eventual migration to a new CRM within the next 2 years.
II. Overseeing Research and Documentation: The Director, Development Systems is responsible for coaching and managing the Manager, Development Systems & Research in the day-to-day operations of prospect research and the documentation of policies, practices, and processes for the department. The Director will be expected to:
- Identify and implement innovative approaches for the processing and documentation of policies, systems, practices, and processes and their associated data.
- Develop, maintain, and implement internal policies and procedures to ensure the quality and integrity of data and administration.
- Train development staff in fundraising operations and administration procedures and policies, improving business processes.
- Determine the appropriate tools and software to support effective and efficient prospect research.
- Continually analyze processes and procedures to identify ways to improve efficiency and become less reliant on manual processes, and implement changes and improvements.
III. Team Leadership: With support from the Vice President, co-create a vision and direction for Development Systems sub-team that plans for and responds to the needs of the Development Department while aligning departmental data strategy with organizational strategies. Responsibilities include:
- Set direction for data and reporting systems, analytics, and reporting.
- Promote transparency of data management processes.
- Reinforce team norms and practices adhering to key development systems standards.
- Engage in consultative work with department sub-teams to be responsive to evolving needs and opportunities.
- Cross-collaborate with frontline fundraising teams, engagement, and systems team members, serving as a bridging role for the department.
- Serve as key operational link between Development, Finance, and Operations departments, ensuring accuracy of cross-team data for financial projections and operations projects.
- Act in partnership with peers within the Development Strategy, Systems, and Operations team to ensure consistent policies and practices, collaborative processes, and seamless, institutionalized support of the broader department.
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and to the mission of the United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley.
- Bachelor's Degree or comparable experience considered.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in data systems management, analytics and/or reporting in fundraising (or an equivalent for-profit function that supports critical business processes).
- Advanced level skills in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint required.
- Proficiency in SQL, Microsoft Power BI, and/or Python preferred.
- Proficiency in database applications required - Salesforce CRM in a fundraising setting preferred.
- Commitment to continuous learning and improvement to hone skills, including technical skills.
- Must be comfortable standing in ambiguity and be a systems and design thinker.
- Excellent process and project management, implementation, design, and data-driven management skills.
- Demonstrated experience maximizing customer relationship management platforms for clarity into progress-to-benchmarks and progress-to-goal.
- Outstanding problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills, with a detail orientation and empathy for user experience.
- Excellent communication skills - written, verbal, interpersonal, public speaking and presentation skills required, especially the ability to translate data into narrative.
- Strong attention to detail and proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously to meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to collaborate and be successful working with cross-functional teams.
- Commitment to donor confidentiality.
- Commitment to building cultural humility by continually learning and by actively promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our work.
- Reliable access to Internet and flexibility with hybrid work, with at least 2 days in the office at one of United Way's offices: Boston, Beverly, or Attleboro.
- Health and Dental coverage - individual and family - premium cost share
- Paid Time Off - 15 vacation days, 15 sick days, 11 paid Holidays, Floating Holidays, and Summer Fridays
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- 401(k) with match and an additional base contribution depending on years of service
- Group Life and Long-term Disability
- Seve United time off for volunteering
- Optional employee-paid vision insurance
- Hybrid work environment
For information on additional opportunities, please access our website at https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/unitedwaymassbay/jobs
United Way of Massachusetts Bay is committed to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of our communities.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.