The United Way of Greater McHenry County unites people and resources. Our work helps the homeless, children, older adults, mental health, health, and advocacy & support. We partner to improves lives for every person in every town in the County.
Purpose of Position:
To play a key leadership role on the UWGMC team with primary responsibility for employee giving campaigns, fundraising, and community engagement. Examples of which include: the annual fundraising campaign, grants, sponsorships, special event fundraisers and representing the organization in networking groups and at community events. This position has responsibility for in-person presentations and representation throughout McHenry County, Illinois. We are open to both full-time and part-time applicants.
55% Relationship Management
Increase supporters, increase funds, and increase brand awareness and impact.
- Build strong, mutually beneficial relationships with key stakeholders that increase revenue and expand opportunities.
- Build and nurture relationships with all donors, supporters, and campaign leaders.
- Spend approximately 50% of time engaging in-person with donors, prospects, and volunteers in order to expand UWGMC’s influence, impact, and revenue. (CEO may adjust periodically to meet business and public health needs)
- Research, identify, and develop relationships with non-giving accounts and achieve assigned percent of goal for new account development.
- Supervise, coordinate, and empower volunteers (and committees) to effectively meet needs of our partner agencies and to raise funds and elevate our brand.
- Increase the reach of UWGMC’s brand via active, strategic, and appropriate social media posts, reactions, and comments.
- Develop strategies to recruit and cultivate key campaign volunteers. This includes committee meetings; providing board/committee members and volunteers with information and guidance, and monitoring progress of fundraising efforts.
- Achieve individual and organizational goals.
- Represent UWGMC at community events and meetings to positive effect.
30% Campaign Management
- Give compelling presentations, in-person and virtually, that inspire giving and inspire the heart.
- Manage workplace campaigns by organizing and giving presentations, inspiring increased giving, collecting and tracking results, and properly thanking all contributors.
- Ensure the development and implementation of campaign strategies to maximize financial resource potential.
- Using CRM and Excel, for existing relationships, new relationships, and potential relationships, track revenue generation, retention, visits, interactions, and key business activity throughout the year; provide regular activity status; update projections to target, and conduct the appropriate account analysis to build and refine business goals.
- Create motivational meetings and special events as related to resource development, including all arrangements and recruitment of support as needed (volunteers, staff, agency).
15% Cross Functional Duties
- Assist with planning and administering fund allocation process.
- Assist with grant sourcing, application, and administration.
- Work with Director of Marketing & Outreach on marketing and media efforts, including material and message development.
- Work effectively with other staff members and key volunteers to provide appropriate support and value to partners.
- Leverage relationships to create additional opportunities with other organizations and individuals.
- Foster creative thinking and facilitate future partnerships within corporate accounts.
- Assist as needed on projects and initiatives.
- Facilitate days of caring and other volunteer match-making.
Bachelor’s degree in social science, business, marketing/communications or related field.
- At least 3-5 years proven fund development or sales experience in the United Way system and/or nonprofit preferred.
- Friendly, approachable, ethical, honest, open-minded, and reliable.
- Able to connect, exude credibility, and quickly build rapport.
- Able to demonstrate ability to increase revenue through initiative, strategies, and relationship building skills.
- Able to demonstrate highly developed communication, organization, time management, and planning skills.
- Disciplined self-starter with a passion for the cause and a passion for exceeding expectations and driving results.
- Technical and analytical skills related to fund development.
- Entrepreneurial and innovative thinking.
- Ability to articulately and impactfully present information and data in written, electronic and oral forms.
- Ability to plan and manage multiple tasks.
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office applications and using a CRM
- Must have the use of a reliable vehicle for transportation to outside meetings
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS:
- Requires time away from the office, traveling by car, walking to appointments and taking stairs.
- Requires the ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities.
- Requires typing and data entry for customer relationship management.
- Requires occasional presence during noncore hours and a consistent relationship building attitude.
- Requires frequent public speaking and being featured on social media.
- Requires adaptability and flexibility in time, attitude, and approach.
- Must be able to professionally interact during every interaction.
- Must properly represent the UWGMC and United Way Worldwide brand at all times.
The statements made herein are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.