The Director of Development & Communications is an integral, key team member of the UWAC staff. All members should demonstrate and continuously display these core values: Integrity, Transparency, Responsiveness, Inclusion, Excellence, Compassion, and Strategic-Mindedness.
The Director of Development & Communications contributes to the advancement of United Way of Adams County, Inc. by increasing resources, developing key relationships in the community, and delivering meaningful campaign and mission-driven messaging on a year-round basis.
• Be the catalyst for the creation of resource development planning and marketing strategies and activities to better support United Way services and partner agencies in the Adams County, Illinois region.
• Provide leadership, strategic input, and oversight to ensure execution of a Board-development Strategic Plan. Collaborate with the Executive Director/CEO to develop optimal strategies for the Annual Campaign, Leadership Giving societies, special events and on-line/social media giving.
• Employ a relationship management approach to seek out ways to connect people and partnerships to meaningful opportunities to give, advocate and volunteer. Cultivate and manage internal and external relational excellence with all mission-stakeholders.
• Assist Board and Staff in developing, holding, and continually improving the United Way’s value proposition, relevancy, and impact in the service community.
• Serve as official spokesperson and approve all forms of external communication to protect United Way brand.
• Assist with the development of the organizational and individual programmatic cases for support.
• Provide world-class support and capacity-building investments to United Way partner agencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Resource Development & Annual Campaign:
In collaboration with the Executive Director/CEO and Board, develop and implement year-round plan to increase resources from workplace campaigns, corporate gifts and sponsorships, leadership gifts, events, planned giving and social media.
• Assist the Board, Staff and Volunteer in attracting and multiplying resources through intentional engagement, relationship investments and properly stewarding trust and fidelity.
• Provide leadership and direction to the development and implementation of strategies to meet financial and volunteer resource potential. Develop, test, and implement new resource development strategies including social media.
• May at times write and/or edit proposals and grants to secure foundation funding, corporate gifts, and support.
• Review and analyze development results. Help develop, monitor, and interpret fundraising performance matrixes.
• Maintain database on computer, design reports, and complete database reports for United Way Worldwide.
• Collaborate with the UWAC Board and Staff team on donor acknowledgment and recognition.
• Support the Executive Director/CEO, Campaign Chair and Campaign Cabinet in Planning and implementing campaign meetings and events.
• Support and assist Loaned Executives during the Campaign season. Organize training, schedule assignments, and monitor results.
• Provide primary staff support to key Campaign accounts, nurture, and grow strategically important mission-investor relationships.
• Utilize ANDAR software and adhere to protocols to maintain integrity of data. Oversee the data collection, maintenance and analysis on campaign accounts and volunteers.
Messaging and Communications:
Develop and implement a “marketing orientation” among staff and volunteers where key decisions are dynamically made with an external focus and a strong understanding of community mission-investor wants and needs. Continually build and enhance public perception, trust, and awareness of UWAC mission, value, and impact through the implementation of effective communications and public relations programs within our culture of philanthropy.
With input from Staff, Board and the Promotion Committee develop and execute a year-round, targeted branding and communications plan.
Other deliverables may include:
• Develop positive relationships with the media; serve as a resource to the media for United Way and the health and human service system. Seek media coverage; write news releases and opinion pieces; schedule interviews
• Monitor issues and develop/recommend the organizational response.
• Design layout of printed materials such as brochures, newsletters, posters, print ads and coordinate production or research, evaluate and develop vendor relationships to meet these demands.
• Assist in the production of television and radio public service announcements and multimedia productions
• Design, publish and maintain the website and social media presence and platform.
• Assist in supporting, planning, and organizing United Way events.
• Proposal writing and development of public presentations.
• Represent United Way at key community events
• Provide input to the Executive Director on internal and external issues
• Increase in overall campaign performance and community fund dollars through collaborations with Board and Executive Director/CEO
• Identification and implementation of new funding sources through deepened mission-centric engagement of community and perennial contributors
• Excellence Relationship Management
• Strategic Project management
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree (BA) from four-year college or university; and three to five years related experience and/or training equivalent combination of education and experience.
OTHER SKILLS, ABILITIES AND NATURAL ATTRIBUTES:
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Versatility and ability to manage multiple tasks
• Proficiency with variety of software and the ability to learn new programs quickly
• This position requires a great deal of computer work
• Hours based on meetings scheduled, campaign needs and may require some evenings and weekend work.
• This position will be responsible for representing United Way in the community.
Competitive salary for market based on experience and qualifications. 7% employer-paid annual retirement fund
and a very competitive benefits suite.
TO BE CONSIDERED:
Please send resume and cover to Jeremy Wingerter at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-222-5020 x201. Applications and inquiries are assured confidentiality.