When uploading your job description, be sure to include the following areas:
Middlesex United Way is a locally based organization dedicated to strengthening lives, helping people, and improving community conditions in the fifteen towns in Middlesex County. Middlesex united way serves the towns of Chester, Clinton, Cromwell, Deep River, Durham, East Haddam, East Hampton, Essex, Haddam, Killingworth, Middlefield, Middletown, Old Saybrook, Portland, and Westbrook.
With our partners, we work to create real, lasting change. We support community programs and initiatives that help those in need and prevent problems from happening in the first place.
By cultivating leadership and partnerships, bringing resources together, and investing in our community, Middlesex United Way acts as a catalyst to achieve measurable, positive impact in education, health, housing and financial stability.
OUR VISION FOR OUR COMMUNITY:
• All those who reside in Middlesex County live in a healthy, vibrant, inclusive, and thriving community.
• All sectors of our county are invested in and working in partnership to improve the quality of life for all.
• All those who reside in Middlesex County are aware of and able to access supports related to education, health, housing and financial stability.
Collaboration: We view our role in our community as a convener and catalyst for cooperation and collaboration towards shared goals.
Compassion: We care deeply about the lives of the people in our region.
Informed: We seek out information and evidence to support our decision-making efforts, both strategic and tactical.
Transparency: We are accountable and transparent in all that we do.
Inclusivity: We are inspired by and inclusive of our community’s diversity.
Integrity: We are committed to ethical principles that demonstrate honesty, trustworthiness, and reliability.
Stewardship: We are stewards of the support provided to us and ensure responsible, sound fiscal decision-making.
The Middlesex United Way, Inc. is fully committed to creating and maintaining an organizational environment which enables all people to perform to their potential by actively valuing different backgrounds and perspectives, fostering teamwork and collaboration among a heterogeneous community, and maximizing contributions to the Middlesex United Way by using the skills, talents, and resources of all members of our community.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
MIDDLESEX UNITED WAY (MUW)
Title: Development Director
Reports to: President
Status: Regular Full-Time / Salary / Exempt
Salary: $65,000 - $69,000
Purpose: Lead fundraising efforts to raise the resources necessary to carry out our mission.
1. Develop strategy and goals as it relates to resource development (RD) to meet annual campaign goal and grant goals. (15% of time)
* Forward thinking and action oriented regarding changing nature of our work
2. Build endowment (20% of time)
· Develop strategy and objectives
· Manage endowment committee
· Increase knowledge of MUW staff
· Solicit & engage Tocqueville members about endowment
3. Actively engage top level donors, being customer, donor, volunteer centered at all times (15% of time)
4. Ensure Success of assigned special events, annual campaigns, and new donors (30% of time)
· Increased # of donors
· Record breaking campaign
5. Provide leadership and guidance to any RD staff, interns and/or volunteers (10% of time)
· Develop / strengthen processes and systems
6. Provide guidance, ideas and collaborative thinking with Executive and Leadership Teams (5% of time)
· Lead organizational fundraising goals
· Connect RD work to mission and broader goals
7. Serve as staff liaison to Endowment Committee, RD Committee, Campaign Committee and Toc Cabinet (5% of time)
· Develop strategies and plan to engage donors – increase volunteering leading to increased giving
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
A. Planning and Organization
· Leads review and analysis of past fundraising efforts, changes in economic climate and other factors which may affect the fundraising operations.
· Establishes work plan, goals, and timetables for the implementation of fundraising efforts with a focus on increasing the number of donors contributing $500 or more and attracting next generation donors.
· Analyzes, implements, and tests new strategies, techniques and materials designed to improve fundraising effectiveness and dollars raised.
· Oversees identification and recruitment of fundraising volunteers, assuring that the recruitment process is completed in a timely manner.
· Key staff responsible for overseeing the Leadership Circle, Alexis DE Tocqueville and Red Feather Society donor recognition groups.
B. Special Assignments
· Assumes responsibility for special projects as assigned by the CEO.
· Keeps informed of professional and community matters of interest by attending appropriate meetings and seminars
Board of Directors
Board Fund Raising Teams
Corporate, business and community leaders
United Way Worldwide and United Way of Connecticut
· BA in business, marketing, or related field or equivalent experience
· Eight plus years of leadership experience as a senior member of an executive team in fund raising, sales, or relationship management, with evidence of progressive growth
· Demonstrated ability to lead strategic development efforts for an organization that generates $2 - 5 million or more in fundraising revenue annually. Must show progressive thinking, with understanding of philanthropic trends and best practices in donor-centered fundraising.
· Demonstrable skills in selecting, coaching, motivating, and training both staff and volunteers.
· Demonstrated success in leading and developing major fundraising initiatives with quantifiable results that meet or exceed objectives, including the ability to incorporate sales and marketing concepts that translate to a field sales force.
· Excellent relationship cultivation skills and the ability to engage and influence employees, board members, key volunteers, donors, and other stakeholders. Ability to relate with a diverse group of individual or organizations. Must demonstrate comfort in socializing professionally in both intimate settings and at larger social events.
· A comprehension and appreciation of metrics and performance indicators used to measure progress in Resource Development.
· Experience working with volunteer boards and committees.
· Must be available to meet with donors and prospects according to their schedule, often in the early morning, evenings and on limited occasions the weekend. Must be able to provide own transportation to such meetings at various locations around 15 town area of Middlesex County.
· Comfort and proficiency with public speaking/presentation skills both one-on-one and publicly.
· Fluent in the English language, both oral and written, including correct punctuation, spelling and grammatical usage. Spanish as a second language a plus.
· Ability to complete basic math as well as review and interpret reports and graphs.
· Proficient in the latest Microsoft Office Environment (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) as well as fundraising software (Razor’s Edge, Blackbaud, Donation Tracker etc.)
· Understanding of and commitment to the mission, vision, and goals of United Way.
· Staff members who drive a vehicle on MUW business must provide proof of a valid driver’s license and current automobile insurance.
Duties require planning, organizing, and performing a variety of duties applying a wide range of procedures and rules. Duties require attention to detail, high degree of accuracy, reliability, timeliness, alertness, and use of judgment. Also requires writing ability, creativity, and concentration. Access to and use of confidential data where discretion/sensitivity is of utmost importance. Mature judgment and confidence.
Frequently required to walk, sit, talk, write, and hear. Occasionally required to stand, reach, stoop, and handle and/or lift and up to 25 pounds. Must be able to check reports for completion and accuracy and to retrieve and transmit information. Use of general office environment equipment.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
These job responsibilities are to be the main emphasis of this position. As with every job at United Way, it is not possible to define jobs precisely. Should the need exist, every person in the organization will assist in any way necessary to assure an efficient and cooperative environment.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.