United Way of Kennebec Valley is a nonprofit organization serving the towns of Kennebec County, Maine. United Way partners with 49 local programs to unite all people and resources to improve lives in our community. We have a staff of six dedicated and experienced employees helping us fulfill our mission, and we welcome you to apply to be part of our growing team.
Position Objective: Lead United Way of Kennebec Valley’s (UWKV’s) resource development strategies and initiatives, oversee the annual fundraising campaign, and sustain and grow relationships that increase revenue. This includes cultivating new donors, improving donor retention, building the planned giving program, and increasing overall gift revenue. This position increases awareness and understanding of United Way's mission and work in the community.
This outward facing, results-oriented role requires a high-energy, values-driven leader who has the demonstrated ability to build strong, mutually beneficial relationships. The successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional professionalism and ownership of organizational goals.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Fundraising Campaign Management
- Develop goals for UWKV’s resource development initiatives and direct the implementation of long- and short-term plans to meet those goals
- Develop fundraising strategy for UWKV’s annual Campaign to meet financial resource potential
- Plan, implement and evaluate annual Campaign processes on behalf of the organization
- Research, cultivate, steward and solicit corporate and individual donors throughout Kennebec County; maintain all aspects of relationship management for key donors, including recognition materials and oral and written communications, to ensure their ongoing satisfaction and participation
- Serve as staff liaison for the Campaign Chair(s) and Campaign Champions Committee
- Direct assignment of a portion of workplace campaigns to volunteers and staff
- Conduct frequent public and workplace presentations
- Collaborate with Director of Marketing (DOM) to support development of Campaign themes, print and digital marketing materials, and videos to engage donors
- Work with Director of Community Impact and DOM to ensure fundraising strategies align with the community-wide Impact2032 visions and UWKV’s community impact work
- Lead specialized small business recruitment effort year-round
- Help plan and execute several organization events, including annual campaign events and public fundraisers
- Design and host Employee Campaign Manager trainings for business leaders
- Formulate business projections and conduct appropriate account analysis to build and refine business goals
- Research, identify and develop relationships with non-giving businesses and achieve goals for new account development
- Spend a minimum of 25% of time out of the office to engage with donors, prospects and volunteers
- Conduct face-to-face meetings with current donors, business leaders and prospects in order to expand UWKV’s influence and revenue, as well as build and sustain positive relationships
- Develop strategies to identify and connect with lapsed donors
- Collaborate with the DCI to educate the community about Impact2032 and the breadth of UWKV’s community impact work
- Manage and grow UWKV’s major giving societies, including the Leadership Circle, Alexis de Tocqueville Society, and Legacy Society
- Develop and implement strategies, including special events, to grow and sustain member engagement with UWKV
- Set and achieve annual revenue goals and performance targets for each giving society
- Engage and solicit major donors regarding planned giving and build existing endowment
- Serve as staff liaison to giving society committees
- Recruit and manage “Loaned Executives” from businesses, interns, or other volunteers to support the campaign on an annual basis
- Host staff check-in meetings and generate fundraising reports weekly during Campaign season
- Ensure that reports for both internal and external audiences are 100% accurate, supporting UWKV’s integrity
- Input, track and monitor donor touchpoints, gifts and accomplishments through CRM database and prepare required reports
- Bring donor thoughts and reactions back to the organization and provide constructive feedback to appropriate staff
- Actively participate in community events and meetings to increase UWKV’s presence through networking, prospecting and relationship building
- Collaborate with Executive Director and Director of Finance & Operations to facilitate best practices in gift processing to foster excellent donor experiences
- With input from the Executive Director, develop budget for Campaign and monitor and control expenses to stay within budget
- Provide guidance, creative brainstorming, and collaborative thinking to UWKV leadership
- Provide back-up to other staff members by answering the telephone, greeting visitors, routing calls and handling a variety of inquiries, as needed
- Support an organizational culture of integrity, transparency, service and professionalism. Model behavior consistent with the mission and purpose of the United Way
- Provide superior service that exceeds the expectations of both internal and external customers
- Maintain strict privacy and confidentiality of sensitive information
- Fulfill other duties and special projects as assigned by the Executive Director
EDUCATION AND/OR WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in business, sales, communications, or related field
- 5-plus years working in fundraising, sales or relationship management, with proven track record in meeting or exceeding revenue goals
- Demonstrated ability to lead strategic development efforts
- Demonstrated success in leading and developing major fundraising initiatives with quantifiable results that meet or exceed revenue goals
- Excellent relationship cultivation skills and the ability to engage and influence donors, board members, volunteers, and other stakeholders
- Ability to relate to a diverse group of individuals or organizations
- Demonstrated comfort in socializing professionally in both intimate settings and large social events
- Proficiency with presentation skills, both one-on-one and publicly
- Demonstrated ability in effective meeting facilitation
- Persuasive oral and written communications skills
- Demonstrated comfort in making cold calls
- Fluent in the English language, both oral and written, including correct punctuation, spelling and grammatical usage.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Ability to compute basic math as well as review and interpret reports and graphs
- Ability to multi-task, organize, plan, and have a sense of urgency with deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail
- High-energy team player with ability to work with diverse personalities
- Courteous, pleasant and professional manner, both in person and on the telephone
- Ability to understand and commit to the mission of United Way
- Proof and maintenance of a valid Driver’s License, vehicle insurance, and reliable transportation
- Sedentary position 60% of the time
- Occasional light to moderate lifting (less than 50 pounds)
- Ability to set up and break down meeting sites or presentations
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to normal office work environment conditions. Internally controlled working environment with little or no hazardous conditions (e.g., fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme heat/cold conditions, vibrations, and/or airborne particles) in normal work location. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. Participation in early morning, evening and weekend meetings and events is required. The employee will frequently be required to utilize own transportation to travel throughout the Kennebec Valley region to visit with stakeholders. The employee will also be required to occasionally attend meetings and events out of the area.
United Way of Kennebec Valley is an equal opportunity employer. UWKV is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse environment and to the principles that promote inclusive practices.
Diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) lies at the core of achieving our mission, living our values, and advancing the common good. We acknowledge that injustices have persisted throughout history and continue to exist in our communities today. Within our own organization, we create and maintain an equitable and inclusive environment that leverages the unique contributions of diverse individuals and organizations in all aspects of our work.
- We take the broadest possible view of diversity, going beyond visible differences, to affirm the humanity of all individuals.
- We bring an equity lens to our organizational practices to guide decision-making and advance goals in this space.
- We engage the power of inclusion to create the innovative solutions and community ownership necessary to address complex community issues.
- We hold ourselves accountable, consistently examining and evolving our core beliefs over time, to honor the members of our communities.
- We ensure staff and volunteers broadly reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
For more information: https://uwkv.org/Diversity