The Director of Development is a strategic thinker and flexible, collaborative leader, working with the Executive team and other members of Investor Relations to develop and implement the fundraising strategy for United Way Worldwide. As Director of Development you will be responsible for raising more than $30,000,000 annually, through a combination of national foundation, high net worth individual, and Fortune 500 corporate gifts, to support United Way Worldwide’s mission-centered work around the world. You will serve as the lead relationship manager for private foundations, working closely with the Manager, Foundation Fundraising, providing clear goals, guidance and insight as needed to ensure a world-class customer experience. You will collaborate with the Grant Writer and members of program teams to define United Way initiatives as donor products, and communicate the importance of United Way’s role in communities. Organizational skills and knowledge of Salesforce are a must as the Director of Development also manages United Way Worldwide’s grant management system.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION:
- Assist with development of strategic plans to meet fund raising goals
- Raise more than $30,000,000 to meet United Way Worldwide’s financial requirements
- Lead a small team, leveraging team expertise, providing clear goals, appropriate guidance and transparency to build trust and ensure individual and team excellence
- Manage private foundation relationships to include:
a) prospect research
b) donor cultivation, relationship management, and recognition
c) represent the organization to prospective and current donors
5. Work collaboratively with all United Way Worldwide departments including program, international, brand/communications, corporate relations, and others, on strategies to secure funding for national and global priorities
6. Work with organizational program staff to clearly define United Way initiatives as donor products
7. Evaluate program success and identify improvements
8. Oversee grants management system in Salesforce
9. Other duties as assigned
If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com or call 703-836-7100, ext. 324 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni to apply.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
A bachelor degree with at least eight to ten years of progressive experience in a similar role, and at least three to five years of experience in a leadership role.
Excellent customer service and overall communication skills, verbal and written. Experience with grant writing desired. Fund raising skills a must. Must be an effective project and people manager. Requires masterful fundraising knowledge, skills and abilities.