Job Title: Director of Development
Reports to: President/Chief Executive Officer
Location: Winchester, Virginia
Purpose of Position:
To provide oversight and leadership of Resource Development which includes the annual fundraising campaign, and any special event fundraisers. Cultivates relationship within all accounts, organizing and managing workplace campaigns to encourage increased participation and giving within all accounts, in order to maximize potential and reach desired division goals. Includes prospecting, developing relationship with non-giving accounts, and making cold calls. Ability to establish donor relationships with individuals and organizations. Contributes to and demonstrates ownership of organizational goals.
50% Relationship Management
- Lead volunteers and build strong, mutually beneficial relationships with key stakeholders that increase revenue and expand opportunities.
- Spend a minimum of 50% of time out of the office in order to engage with donors and volunteers.
- Research, identify, and develop relationships with non-giving accounts and achieve assigned percent of goal for new account development.
- Supervise, coordinate and empower volunteers (and committees) to effectively and efficiently implement key strategies related to United Way of Northern Shenandoah Valley
- Conduct face-to-face meetings with current donors and prospects in order to expand United Way’s influence and revenue
- Develop strategies to recruit and cultivate key campaign volunteers. This includes staffing committee meetings; providing board/committee members and volunteers with information, messaging platform, training and direction; and monitoring progress of fundraising efforts.
30% Campaign Management
- Ensure the development and implementation of campaign strategies to meet financial resource potential.
- Track revenue generation, retention, visits, and key business activity throughout the year; provide regular activity status; update projections to target, and conduct the appropriate account analysis to build and refine business goals
- Research, develop and maintain all aspects of relationship/contact management for key donors, including database management, recognition materials, oral and written communications
- Develop and oversees budgets, work plans and realistic timetables to accomplish organizational goals.
- Create motivational meetings and special events as related to resource development, including all arrangements and recruitment of support as needed (volunteers, staff, agency staff).
20% Cross Functional Duties
- Assist planning and fund distribution programs.
- Manage Grant Application process.
- Work with Director of Marketing & Outreach on all marketing and media efforts, including material and message development.
- Work effectively with other functions staff members and key volunteers to provide appropriate support and value to partners.
- Leverage relationships to create additional opportunities with other organizations and individuals.
- Foster creative thinking and facilitate future partnerships within corporate accounts.
- Work with staff and volunteers, will drive the execution of their plan and manage the action steps and results from these efforts.
Bachelor’s degree in social science, business, marketing/communications or related field.
- At least 3-5 years proven fund development or sales experience in the United Way system and/or nonprofit preferred
- Able to demonstrate ability to increase revenue through implemented strategies and relationship building skills
- Able to demonstrate highly developed communication, organization and planning skills
- Developed technical and analytical skills related to fund development
- Entrepreneurial and innovative thinking
- Ability to present information and data in written, electronic and oral forms
- Ability to plan and manage multiple tasks
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications
- Must have the use of a reliable vehicle for transportation to outside meetings
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS:
- Requires time away from the office, traveling by car, walking to appointments and taking stairs
- Requires the ability to multi-task between workplace campaign, individual giving, meetings, special events and strategic thinking.
- Requires a normal amount of typing and data entry for customer relationship management
- Requires presence during noncore hours and a consistent relationship building attitude
- Typically lifts campaign materials of 25-50 lbs consistently from August to December and during special events.
The statements made herein are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.