UNITED WAY OF MASSACHUSETTS BAY AND MERRIMACK VALLEY
About United Way:
We are the Uniters. We bring people together to solve problems. We identify the most pressing issues in our community and we bring together the people we think can solve them. United Way funds agencies that, working together, can address the nuances of complex problems like homelessness or the academic achievement gap. We create programs and initiatives to fill unmet needs. We deploy volunteers and socially responsible companies as the engines of change and the feet on the street, delivering hope to people in need. We raise funding through generous donors who understand that social change can't happen without it
Location: Boston, MA
Position Title: Director, Corporate Relations
Reports to: Vice President, Corporate Relations
The Director, Corporate Relations is an integral part of the team charged with building and strengthening relationships with corporate partners in our footprint. Through a portfolio of major and priority accounts and acquisition of new business, the Director will be responsible for bringing in $2M+ in revenue for United Way programming.
The Director, Corporate Relations is expected to spend the majority of their time in the field meeting and interfacing with key constituents and prospects to generate revenue within the corporate community. They will stay abreast of the current market climate and demonstrate the benefits and abilities of our team and a United Way partnership.
The Director, Corporate Relations will also develop and carry out a plan for their assigned priority and major corporate accounts, which includes using all United Way donor acquisition models (workplace campaigns, leadership events, affinity groups, community engagement, etc.).
This position will be reporting to the VP, Corporate Relations and will work alongside others on the Corporate Relations team as well as the Engagement team and Individual Giving team. The outward-facing role will require the candidate to have sales/fundraising experience, leadership abilities, and willingness to open doors to personal and professional networks to drive new business.
Applicants who will thrive in this role are: Relationship-builders; Connection-makers; interested in talking to people; creative; are able to pivot quickly if needed; ok with a little bit of chaos during campaign season.
Applicants who will thrive in the Corporate Relations team culture are: Able to jump in to help teammates in a pinch and have a sense of humor.
Manage Key Corporate Accounts/Individual Relationships for significant revenue growth
- Direct responsibility for building strong, mutually beneficial relationships with key corporate partners and individuals, focusing on revenue growth. In conjunction with the VP, Corporate Relations, the Director will create annual and long-term business strategies and action steps needed to secure additional financial support for United Way. Encourage corporate partners to offer United Way volunteer opportunities to their employees regularly and engage companies and individuals in key United Way events that occur annually, such as Board Connection and the Thanksgiving Project. Additionally, if a company has a philanthropic area of focus, work with their campaign team and/or corporate social responsibility department to align their efforts with one of United Way's corresponding impact areas. Track revenue generation, retention, donor count, visits and new business activity throughout the year and provide monthly projections against goals.
- Work closely with the Individual Engagement team in development to cultivate and grow relationships with individual leader donors within workplace campaigns. Leverage relationships to create additional opportunities with other organizations and individuals.
- New business is a critical need for United Way to stay relevant and successful. The Director will be responsible for helping cultivate new relationships- either through occasional warm or cold calls or personal connections.
Ownership of fundraising for a signature event or program:
- United Way has multiple Signature Events/Programs. Corporate Relations team members will be expected to lead the fundraising of 1 of these events throughout the year. Applicants do not need to have event experience to execute this-it is the fundraising work that needs to be lead and done by the Corporate Relations lead.
- Work successfully within the Development Department and other UW departments to coordinate and communicate your support needs/requirements and to maximize time in the field. Engage in weekly team meetings, the organization sponsored training and teambuilding events as scheduled and present a professional and positive attitude towards team members and staff.
- A very high level of clear communication is necessary and expected by the Director, Corporate Relations. It is critical to capture information from your external appointments onto cultivation reports promptly. Maintain accurate and detailed donor and account records in Andar to analyze the deployment of resources against objectives. In addition, communications will be reviewed by the Vice President, Development and discussed at team meetings.
- Bachelor's Degree and/or a minimum of 5 years of equivalent consultative sales or fundraising experience in either the private sector or non-profit setting.
- Focused sales/marketing experience with an applied emphasis on customer relationship building, applied consultative sales skills, demonstrated success with effective listening skills.
- Well connected within the private sector and willingness to open doors to new business
- Experience constructing sales pitches, presentations, and demonstrations.
- Strong customer service skills and detailed knowledge of customer management.
- Effective oral and written communication skills with an ability to relate to a diverse group of individuals or organizations effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- High-energy individual who takes initiative with a positive outlook who can manage ambiguity and change.
- Thirst for knowledge, desire for constant learning.
- Manage expectations of internal team members effectively and a strong desire and aptitude to be part of a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to gain consensus and to tie United Way benefits to partner needs.
- Sense of humor and an ability to have fun.
- Commitment to excellence and to the mission of United Way.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is committed to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.