The Director of Corporate Philanthropy is accountable for creating, developing, and executing a year-round strategic resource development plan to increase critical financial resources for HWMUW. This position will meet individual, departmental and organizational fundraising goals with specific portfolio accounts utilizing a “relationship-based fundraising model” and a high standard of consultative and customer service practices. Lead and manage a team of development professionals to collectively achieve departmental goals.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Director of Corporate Philanthropy is responsible for the development of the overall workplace strategy and planning of multiyear, multifaceted approaches to year-round workplace campaigns, including the development of an integrated planning process that incorporates other streams of fund raising, i.e. leadership level giving, new business relationships, special events, etc.
- Develop an overall strategic plan for an integrated campaign model that supports the overall mission of the organization involving all campaign professional staff, volunteer staff and volunteer leadership in the strategic development process to utilize their expertise and cultivate their support.
- Analyze overall annual campaign data to systematically develop key strategies that will increase corporate and employee giving.
- Determine key metrics, accountability, and reporting mechanisms aligned with performance and growth objectives.
- Maintain advanced knowledge of ANDAR and other fundraising tools.
- Manage the overall relationship with Campaign Cabinet and other relevant committees involving staff and volunteer leaders as appropriate.
- Coordinate and manage activities related to campaign, events and programs, including a comprehensive program of staff training and volunteer (Loaned Executives) development strategies.
- Recruits workplace campaign volunteers. (Loaned Executives)
- Responsible for key strategic relationships with top organizations; year-round planning and communication, campaign execution, etc.
- Work with Campaign Staff in becoming consultants for organizations. Provide thought leadership and ideation around broader engagement with partnering corporations that align with their objectives, values and community engagement goals.
- Develop and implement strategies to identify and incorporate new companies and new donors in the campaign to enlarge the donor base. Foster an entrepreneurial approach to attracting new businesses into engagement with United Way.
- Develop positive relationships with current donors, cultivating their partnership with United Way.
- Evaluate and strengthen stewardship process for all donors.
- Participate in the cultivation and solicitation of leadership level donors and campaign leadership.
- Participates in ongoing, year-round cultivation activities with donors and volunteers.
- Manages all staff and volunteers with campaign assignments in analyzing, organizing and executing campaign efforts.
- Serves as backup to campaign staff as required.
- Assists Resource Development staff and Marketing staff with initiative to ensure organizational goals are achieved.
- Establish performance measures, monitor results and produce evidence that demonstrates the effectiveness of assigned responsibilities, ensuring individual performance goals are achieved.
- Supervise the maintenance of the campaign database including production of financial campaign reports and staff assignment reports and tracking of pledges through database management.
- Maintain knowledge of current and evolving resource development trends, as well as economic, political, technical, and general business trends that may impact HWMUW results, to aid in overall organizational efforts.
- Performs required operational functions including budget management, performance planning and reviews, work plan monitoring, and other duties necessary to ensure responsible functioning of the department.
- Serve as an ambassador for Heart of West Michigan United Way in the community. Including, but not limited to attending events.
- Successfully manage a high-level portfolio of assigned accounts aligning corporate philanthropic interests with United Way’s goals.
- Lead efforts related to New Business Development, to include developing strategies to increase the number of workplace campaigns; integrate the workplace campaign into the New Business process; and managing volunteers and ensure effective volunteer stewardship in support of New Business.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree. Preferred in Non-profit, Business, Communications (Master's degree preferred)
- 5+ years consultative sales experience in either for profit or non-profit entities is required.
- 2-5 years as a successful Workplace Campaign Fundraiser for United Way preferred.
- 3+ years of demonstrated leadership and the ability to successfully manage professional staff and multi-functional or diverse areas to achieve identified goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to relate well to and understand the needs and interests of donors/corporations in order to develop relationships between them and United Way.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with corporate partners and understand how a corporation can be successfully solicited for a gift.
- Ability to connect corporate interests with internal United Way products, managing the corporate relationship, to ensure full corporate satisfaction.
- Established track record of working with professional and retired volunteers providing management and coaching support.
- Experience in interactive presentation and training for audiences that range from small to large (exceeding 200 attendees) groups.
- Demonstrated skill in fund development or high-level for-profit sales managing a diverse account portfolio of at least $4M
- Demonstrated analytical and data analysis skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office computer applications (Outlook, Word and Excel required), CRM and Enterprise preferred.
Minimum Salary Statement: All of the roles within HWMUW have pay ranges that commensurate with the knowledge, skills, and abilities of the successful candidate. The minimum salary for this position is $66,030.