DIRECTOR OF COMMUNITY RELATIONS
Reports To: President/CEO
Type of Position: Full-time; Permanent
FLSA Status: Exempt
ROLE: The Director of Community Relations supports the mission of United Way of Yellowstone County (UWYC) by providing strategic leadership and direction for integration of fund development, communications, and engagement. The Director of Community Relations is responsible for elevating UWYC’s visibility and community relevance; raising $1M+ through events, grants, workplace giving, and individual philanthropy for United Way programming; and building, supporting, and advancing high-quality, year-round relationships. The position is also responsible for advancing the brand and positively positioning UWYC as a philanthropic leader and trusted partner in the community; providing creative direction and oversight for all creative deliverables; creating and implementing a company-wide integrated marketing plan; and collaborating with staff to ensure consistent messaging and uniformity of presentation.
The Director of Community Relations is a relationship-builder and connection-maker. This outward-facing role will require the candidate to have sales/fundraising experience, leadership abilities, and willingness to open doors to personal and professional networks to drive new financial support and corporate engagement for UWYC.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Resource Development (50%)
- Manage the Annual Workplace Campaign.
- Retain current donor base and develop new corporate/individual donor relationships to maximize revenue growth with donors at all levels of giving, company leadership, key influencers, and campaign leaders.
- Responsible for integrating fundraising and volunteer engagement campaigns into mutually-beneficial outcomes for participants.
- Secure funds outside of annual workplace campaign, including corporate sponsorships, grants, special events, and employee volunteer engagement projects.
- Develop, execute, and manage a comprehensive donor communication strategy that includes direct mail, email, personal outreach, social media, etc.
- Plan, execute, and manage community visibility engagement events (i.e.: CommUnity Rally, events for workplace campaigns, affinity groups).
- Serve as staff liaison and manage the recruitment, training, and recognition of Resource Development Committee, Campaign Cabinet, and Employee Campaign Coordinators.
Marketing & Communications (25%)
- Plan and execute effective marketing and strategic communications initiatives and projects that build the brand, strengthen relationships with key constituencies and drive revenue generation and volunteer engagement.
- Assure adherence to branding and maintenance of appropriate, inspired-content on all organizational communications including UWYC’s public website, emails, e-news, social media, media press releases, media stories, marketing materials, mailings, and other documents.
- Function as an effective brand steward, providing peer-to-peer leadership, training, and support to help all staff consistently deliver the ideal messaging.
- Design collateral materials for resource development, volunteer engagement and community impact.
- Actively participate in community events, organizations, and meetings to increase United Way’s presence through networking and relationship building.
- Maintain calendar of events to properly synchronize and promote engagement opportunities.
- Recruit, train, and manage marketing intern.
- Serve as staff liaison for Marketing Task Force.
Engagement and Volunteerism (15%)
- Integrate fund development strategies with corporate volunteer engagement.
- Supervise the Volunteer Engagement Coordinator.
- Design strategies and accurate tracking for integrated workplace giving campaigns and volunteer engagement activities.
- Maintain current knowledge of and relationships with community resources that support UWYC’s work – including other non-profits, government entities, school districts and other organizations.
- Stay current with all available market research and advise on community issues, donor trends, and any other factors that may influence the effective positioning of UWYC.
- Keep abreast of best practices and emerging trends in public and private sectors as related to fund development, marketing, and health and human service areas.
- Due to its leadership role United Way is called upon to support the community during times of crisis, it is the expectation that all United Way staff will be fully engaged in the organization's crisis plan and response efforts.
- Provide assistance as needed to other UWYC programs and personnel.
- Always serve as an UWYC ambassador by communicating the mission and vision of United Way.