The Director of Communications and Outreach is a pivotal role at United Way of Escambia County (UWEC) overseeing the agency's professional communications, outreach and brand management. This individual is responsible for the development and execution of the organization’s communications and marketing strategy. In the role, this leader will be responsible for positioning UWEC as a proactive catalyst for community change and for directing the development of all external communications tailored to a variety of target audiences including current and prospective donors, community and business leaders, volunteers, community advocates, elected officials and media.
General Description: The Director of Communications and Outreach (Director) supervises the Marketing Manager and the organization’s Outreach Manager(s). The Director also oversees the work of a part-time Copy Writer and a marketing VISTA and interns. The Director will lead the creation, development and execution of marketing and communications products while supporting the United Way mission and goals, strategic plan and community impact initiatives. The Director will serve as the lead for all UW brand related materials to include the annual report, brochures, hardcopy and electronic newsletters and emails, and website. Marketing and promotion of all programs, impact work, agency partner relationships and organizational events are the responsibility of the Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Market, promote and outreach as the organization’s lead brand champion.
- Develop and implement a strategic communication plan to best understand and communicate with all target audiences. Plan should strategically market UWEC’s mission to inspire others to identify with and take action to support the work
- Define opportunities and develop relationship-building strategies and plans to generate donor loyalty.
- Achieve an emotional connection with target audiences through issues management, marketing materials, event promotion, and strategic communication vehicles.
- Oversee digital marketing strategy and implementation to build awareness and donor support.
- Write and distribute press releases that are picked up by diverse media partners.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with traditional news outlets and new media, key civic and business organizations, and provide information and communication tools as needed to officials at City, County, State, and Federal levels.
- Oversees development and execution of organizational events used to increase awareness and engagement with UWEC.
- Create and leverage strategic partnership with outside organizations that deliver maximum value to UWEC and its partner organizations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Role and Responsibilities:
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Utilize examples of volunteering to make a tangible difference in the community as a means to highlight and draw attention to organizational success.
- Ensure marketing staff, outreach staff, VISTAs and interns receive appropriate direction, goals and evaluation to ensure their growth and success to the benefit of the organization.
- Ensure the outreach staff properly implement policies and procedures, program plans, recruitment and management of volunteers and advisory council members, orientation and trainings, and program evaluation and reporting for Community Investment, Cram the Van, RSVP, ReadingPals, VITA & MyFreeTaxes.
- Provide VP with timely and appropriate information to draft thank you letters and other pertinent correspondence to ensure all correspondence is mailed within 1 week on donated goods/services.
- Communicate with leadership team on disgruntled partners or unresolved issues (detailing situation and action taken).
- Participate in weekly director’s meetings, weekly department meetings, and monthly United Way staff meetings. Communicate relevant information.
- Offer suggestions for improvement and growth in an effective manner.
- Identify and participate in opportunities to promote mission and services in the community at events including but not limited to: volunteer fairs, service & church project fairs, business and civic group presentations.
Marketing Role and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the staff support and leadership support for the Marketing Advisory Team
- Oversee the design and production of marketing materials as needed to include, but not limited to, e-mails, letters, print, television and radio advertising, direct-to-consumer mailings, Web site, and Social Media.
- Approve any outside media or marketing created to insure compliance with brand guidelines
- Approve and coordinate vendor registration with UWW to ensure compliance with licensing
- Ensure that Web site and Social Media pages are updated regularly.
- Support and train staff members, interns and volunteers to ensure all departments and programs have up-to-date Web content.
- Ensure the effective design of key print pieces including quarterly and monthly Newsletters, Annual Report and ancillary marketing materials that effectively increase revenue from current workplace partners, potential partners and individual donors.
- Coordinate emergency preparedness and response communications.
- Maintain community visibility of CEO, leadership, staff and volunteers: seek opportunities to expose the community to the successes of key staff and volunteers.
- Plan and execute Annual Meeting.
- Maintain inventory of United Way-related photographs
- With input from the Leadership Team conduct yearly donor and volunteer surveys.
- Ensure all aspects of promotion and communication are effectively created and maintained to include: annual direct mail campaign, campaign video, Thank You materials, public presentations, in-kind advertising agreements and relationships, appropriate sponsor and donor recognition and focus group work and surveys.
- Participate in Non Profit Training, Campaign Cabinet and Loaned Executive trainings and meetings as requested and provide all requested Marketing support.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree from four-year College or university required; plus 3 years related experience in strategic marketing, re-branding, communications, sales support, public relations, branding and social media. Outreach and program development experience required.
- An energetic interest for brand management that permeates through personality, thinking, building relationships, interacting with stakeholders, story-telling, and implementing strategy.
- Ability to tailor communications that effectively connects with diverse audiences.
Proven ability to develop and implement public affairs, marketing and communications plans that achieve specific, measurable results.
- Exceptional interpersonal, leadership, supervisory and organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities; ability to navigate complex situations, helping to resolve ambiguity and inspire colleagues to their best performance.
- Outstanding communication skills; good listener who includes and engages others and can modify his/her approach to the audience; superior written and oral communications; adept at public speaking.
- Familiarity with the Pensacola area, issues, and constituents is a plus.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of:
- MS Office Suite software
- Project Management software
- InDesign or similar graphic layout and design software
- Must be a proficient typist and possess superior computer skills
- Pass all applicable background checks
- Possess a valid driver's license from the state in which you reside
- Be approved to drive for UWEC business
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to walk, sit and stand; use hands to finger manipulation, handle, feel, reach with arms and hands, and talk or hear.
- The employee may be required to lift up to 25 pounds.
- The vision requirements include close, distance, peripheral and depth perception.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation of $40-45K annually to start and a robust benefits package which includes health, dental, vision insurance, paid and volunteer time off, and a generous contribution into the 401k plan after one year of service. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
Drug Free Workplace and Equal Opportunity Employer with Preferential consideration for Prior AmeriCorps VISTA Service