Why Work for United Way
Do you want to leave work every day knowing that you made an impact? At United Way of South Hampton Roads (UWSHR), you’ll work in a fun and supportive environment where every day is a new opportunity to make a difference. If you talk to our employees, the single trait we all have in common is passion. We work hard because we love what we do and we know how much our community needs us. Plus, we offer excellent benefits and opportunities for advancement. If you want to be great while doing good, join the United Way team.
Objectives & Expectations
- This position is responsible for the overall data strategy for the organization and in support of our work.
- The Director of Community Engagement & Data will lead the community into a new era of services and partnerships to achieve community-related outcomes in the areas of health, financial stability, education, and basic needs. He/she will be the visionary leader for creating and maintaining critical relationships and partnerships among multiple health, school, community, business, and government organizations to develop a multisectoral partnership delivery model at the local level.
- The Director of Community Engagement & Data will help create a strategic roadmap for an outcome-driven organization that will expand data services, significantly increase navigation and residents served, and provide the foundation for an evidence-based program. He/she will be a skilled practitioner with proven accomplishments in leading cultural change, working with government agencies at the federal and state level, and creating public/private partnerships.
- This position requires a strategic mind, a keen sense for what is possible for the organization’s new successes, and the ability to bring together the appropriate partners, both public and private sector, and map out collaborative relationships to maximize community services for South Hampton Roads.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Cultural Competence: The Director of Community Engagement & Data adapts a lens of cultural competency that conveys empathy, support, and an understanding of the people they work with both internally and externally, engage with, and the people they serve. This competency helps to build trust and effective engagement, build stronger relationships, expand our organization’s reach, and more effectively and respectfully engage with people regardless of background.
Core Competencies are characteristics that all employees are expected to exhibit as a member of the UWSHR team. For complete details that include attributes and behaviors please see the United Way Core Competencies Checklist in the shared Human Resources Network Folder.
- Mission Focused: The top priority is creating real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities.
- Relationship Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the organization, and thus, the greater network.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Build a multisectoral partnership of public/private community partners/volunteers who can provide collective wisdom and support to advance a common agenda in South Hampton Roads
- Serve as the point of contact for agencies and the community at large regarding the South Hampton Roads GHRconnects
- Recruit new organizations and re-engage prior stakeholders
- Coordinate and facilitate Technical Advisory and Community Partner meetings
- Play a visible role in the creation of a shared vision and goals for South Hampton Roads
- In partnership with Community Impact & Development Departments, implement a plan of action with measurable outcomes on new service delivery, efficiencies, evaluation, and newly established partnerships
- Create strong relationships with federal and state officials within VA DOE, VDH, VDSS, and other agencies to garner funds and develop partnerships
- Work closely with vendors and information services team members to maintain and manage data platform and management tools
- Create and implement a communications campaign utilizing social media and storytelling to build awareness of the data platform
- Strengthen brand recognition for data platform
- Act with a keen understanding of research and data regarding community barriers and have the skills and capacity to determine the most feasible way in which data can play a role
- Serve as the point of contact for agencies and the community at large regarding the South Hampton Roads community data platform
Communication, Marketing & Presentations
- Serve as the key spokesperson for the partnership and data platform via conversations with donors, workplace meetings, presentations, tours, fairs, etc.
- Develop engaging presentations and key talking points about data-driven decision making and its impact on companies, agencies, and community groups
- Play a key role in developing marketing messages and materials for effectively communicating the call to action through printed materials, website, media relations, social media, video, workplace campaign material, etc.
- Proactively pursue speaking engagements.
- Provides weekly project management reports and communicates status reports to all parties on a timely basis
- Attentive to project deadlines and communicates status to appropriate team members to ensure awareness of upcoming and critical deadlines
- Manage two direct reports with responsibilities for day to day management of all Community Impact and Development department databases
- Help develop and oversee a robust fund development effort with a plan and vision for new sources of revenue
- In collaboration with Senior Leadership Team, provide leadership and guidance in creating and executing marketing, advertising, and development plans and project activities to ensure brand integrity and consistent organizational voice
- Provides a superior level of customer service to internal and external customers, delivering high-quality products on time, within budget, and with the highest level of courtesy and professionalism
- Takes the initiative in working across teams and functional areas while staying abreast of current impact work taking place within, and supported by, the organization
- Other duties as assigned
Key Skills Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A minimum of 5 years work experience, including 2 or more years of proven community building and working in collaborative partnerships with other organizations, agencies, institutions, and entities
- Experience managing others and leading a team to complete shared goals
- The presence to inspire confidence and passion in external audiences and to build effective relationships with a range of stakeholders;
- Experience working with diverse populations; knowledge of guidelines to successfully work in a culturally sensitive environment;
- Advanced project management skills;
- Flexibility and the ability to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed;
- Commitment to the collective impact concepts;
- Excellent analytical ability and superior problem-solving skills
- Existing relationships with, or ability to build relationships with, a cross-sectoral range of stakeholders in the local or regional area
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, listening, writing, and facilitation skills
- Ability to take concepts from initiation to completion with minimal supervision
- High proficiency in MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.) and experience working with data visualization tools (Tableau, ArcGIS, etc.)
Work Demands & Environment:
- Ability to stoop, lift, finger – for example pick, pinch, or type and grasp
- Ability to clearly and concisely express and exchange detailed information and ideas to others accurately via spoken word
- Exerting up to 20 of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects
- Ability to inspect and analyze figures, accounting items, written materials, newsprint, computer terminal characters, transcription, and other similar objects at distances generally close to the eyes.
- The worker is subject to a variety of inside environmental conditions that may occur in an office, a private home, or elsewhere in the community including temperature variations, unpleasant odors, and potential allergens
- Although inside work is the rule, it is required that the individual be able to travel and may be exposed to a variety of weather conditions
Interested? Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. We will continue accepting applications until the position is filled.
United Way of South Hampton Roads is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at UWSHR will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. UWSHR does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or genetics. Please Note: Requirements, skills, and abilities described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements be interpreted as all-inclusive.