Job Title: Director of Communications & Events
Position Type: Exempt – full time (40 hours per week)
Competitive Salary Range: $60,000 - $63,000 annually, depending on experience and education
Benefits and Perks:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Section 125 (Cafeteria Plan)
- Flexible Spending Accounts/Health Savings Account
- Short and Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Basic Life/Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- 401(k) Retirement Plan - employer match up to 5%
- Paid Time Off, Holidays and Birthday Leave
- Volunteer Time Off
- Hybrid Work Environment
- Wellness Program
- Professional Development Opportunities
Scope of Position:
The Director of Communications & Events is a strategic and creative leader who utilizes relationships, partnerships, and a variety of communication mediums to position United Way of Larimer County (UWLC) as a leader in the community. The Director effectively communicates UWLC’s mission and impact, and ensures all communications utilize the same voice and shared language across platforms and audiences - donors, volunteers and community members. As Director of Communications and Events, you will craft marketing and communications strategies, execute marketing and communications plans, develop marketing and communications assets, and oversee all organization events. This position is responsible for the strategic development, production, and maintenance of a wide range of collateral, including our website, various media outlets, and events.
- In coordination with organization leadership, create communications and marketing strategies to advance the goals and objectives of United Way across multiple channels.
- Develop and oversee content development and management across the organization.
- Develop compelling, persuasive, and community-centered messages and collateral.
- Support community awareness building and mobilization efforts around impact goals.
- Benchmark and measure the impact of UWLC messages to assess organizational effectiveness and build community trust.
- Develop and manage internal/external communications with key constituents where United Way is represented through writing key talking points, scripts, and messages that achieve the intended purpose.
- Work collaboratively organization-wide to develop standards for communication of UWLC impact that center the community, audience, and utilize asset-framed language.
- Provide training to UWLC team on inclusive marketing and communication strategies for accountability to equity as an organization.
- Implement a digital media strategy by monitoring and strategically boosting engagement by keeping all UWLC constituencies in mind.
- Manage the production and execution of all organization events (timelines, content, budget, logistics)
- Ensure that brand identity, messaging, and marketing and communications strategy are infused in all organizational efforts (community impact, resource development, and operations).
- Lead Communications Team of 1-3 staff members (including Marketing Manager) in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws; manage department budget.
- Leadership in collaboratively developing externally-facing communication strategy, content, style, tone and voice.
- Excellent oral communication skills and ability to effectively and professionally communicate with community leaders, volunteers and donors.
- Strategic, analytical, organizational, creative and personal skills, with the experience of managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Knowledge of community-centered language, equity-focused messages and asset-framed communications to convey impact in a manner that validates all constituencies and resonates with the intended audiences.
- Experience developing and implementing successful social marketing strategies.
- Experience creating compelling fundraising solicitations and/or successful fundraising campaign materials.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Experience and knowledge of HTML, CSS, WordPress and Accessibility Standards.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams and other related Microsoft software.
- CRM database experience.
- Bilingual English/Spanish.
- Committed to the principles of inclusion and equity.
- Leadership skills in motivating, developing and managing the performance of a small team.
What it’s like to work at United Way of Larimer County
Are you a person who thrives on change and a fast-paced environment? Have the passion to make a difference in our community? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. You’ll be part of a nimble team that adapts to meet the variety of needs in our community to make impactful change.
We believe we’re best when we’re working together. We value trust, community, and heart, and we’re passionate about improving the overall quality of life for everyone in Larimer County. We respect and celebrate our shared humanity. We are committed to staying mission focused in service to our community. We strive to remain open to ideas, learning and risk-taking. We make impactful investments that are responsive and measurable. And, we will be equity-driven in all we do to bridge gaps between and within communities.
You’ll be part of transforming community so everyone thrives in Larimer County. From childcare scholarships to housing stability, you’ll be part of making our community a Larimer United.
We Live Diversity
We strongly encourage applicants who identify as Black, Indigenous, people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQIA+, or from other historically excluded groups. If you feel your skills, and more importantly your passions, align with our mission, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet 100% of the posted qualifications. Together, we can create a Larimer United where everyone in our community has the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive.
Pluses of Working at UWLC
Competitive Pay: We offer competitive pay with a $1,500 annual differential offered for Spanish-English bilingual staff members.
We want you to take time off to recharge and enjoy life. Taking care of community requires first caring for ourselves. UWLC closes its doors for 10 company holidays, plus the last week in December through New Year’s. We also take extra time off on Fridays all summer to recharge and prioritize balanced living and rest. In addition, our PTO accrual is very generous with 22 days off for the first year.
We’ll make sure you have all the tools you need to succeed. We provide a laptop and any necessary apps, and most of our offices have standing desks.
We’re dog friendly, too! Our office is a dog-friendly office. Your well behaved four-legged best friend is welcome to come work with you in our office, located in Old Town Fort Collins.
We have a flexible work environment. We know that everyone has different responsibilities and locations where they work best. We have a hybrid work environment and ask all staff to work from the office twice a week to connect with coworkers.
Equal Employment Opportunity
United Way is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the principles of diversity and belonging.
As an organization, we:
- Value, champion, and embrace diversity as an integral part of our business.
- Provide Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment.
- Respect co-workers and other individuals without regard to race (including hairstyles traditionally associated with race), color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin (including limited English proficiency), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, political affiliation, veteran status, and retaliation for engaging in protected activity (opposing a discriminatory practice or participating in an employment discrimination proceeding), support equal opportunity programs or any other protected characteristic applicable under federal, state, and local laws.
- Refuse to engage in or tolerate any form of harassment or discrimination.
All UWLC employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID.