We are the Uniters. We bring people together to solve problems. We identify the most pressing issues in our community and we bring together the people we think can solve them. United Way funds agencies that, working together, can address the nuances of complex problems like homelessness or the academic achievement gap. We create programs and initiatives to fill unmet needs. We deploy volunteers and socially responsible companies as the engines of change and the feet on the street, delivering hope to people in need. We raise funding through generous donors who understand that social change can’t happen without it.
The Director of Communications will work with the Senior Vice President of Communications and Public Affairs to lead efforts to increase public awareness of our work as well as amplify the impact, policy change, and civic engagement that United Way is driving in the community. The Director of Communications will play a key role in media relations and the development of thought leadership, messaging, and online media content to elevate United Way’s work across new and wider audiences.
We are seeking a team member with exceptional writing and strong interpersonal skills who has a keen understanding of the needs, motivations, and aspirations of the media and key stakeholders. The Director of Communications will bring a strong track record of engaging the media and external partners, connecting with them ineffective, compelling, and engaging ways to deliver results. The ability to excel in a fast-paced environment and tackle multiple priorities at once is also critical to this role.
- Develop plans and implement media outreach around United Way impact, policy work, announcements, and thought leadership.
- Draft organizational news releases, media advisories, blog posts, OpEds, and media pitches.
- Identify, prioritize, develop, and elevate key storylines and themes from United Way initiatives and partnerships.
- Ensure United Way’s tone and messaging advance diversity, equity and inclusion and contribute to fostering racial and social justice issues in our region.
- Assist in the development of speaking points for the CEO and for media interviews, position statements, and corporate communications.
- Grow and strengthen relationships with media outlets by increasing perception of United Way as a valuable, reliable, quick-to-respond, and insightful source.
- Strategically work directly with members of the media (traditional and emerging), proactively pitching stories and coverage of projects and partners and responding to media inquiries.
- Develop new approaches to raise visibility (influencers, events, etc.)
- Measure effectiveness of media relations efforts through placements and content analysis.
- Work with SVP, public policy, and digital teams to develop digital content and strategies to tell the stories of the impact United Way is having on individuals, families, and communities across our region.
- Infuse United Way into the social narrative by creating ideas for shareable pieces of content through our Instagram, FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, and video channels.
- BS/BA in Journalism/Communications or related field and a minimum of five years of experience.
- Strategic, conceptual, and creative thinker.
- Proven record of supporting multiple programs and/or clients simultaneously.
- Proven knowledge of and experience within the local and regional media market.
- Demonstrated use of social media to engage and deepen relationships with the media and the public.
- Experience or knowledge in policy work and/or government a plus.
- Ability to produce high-quality written material requiring minimal revision.
- Ability to translate complex concepts and initiatives into concise, compelling storylines and messaging.
- Exemplary judgment, experience, and skills in responding to media inquiries and crisis communication.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Detail-oriented with ability to delegate, prioritize and manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Proven ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Experience with Word Press content management web platform is helpful.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and to the mission of the United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley.
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay, Human Resources Manager,
9 Channel Center, t, Boston, MA 02210.
For information on additional career opportunities, please access our website at www.unitedwaymassbay.org
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is committed to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of the communities it serves.