About United Way:
We unite to create positive, lasting change for people in need. We call it harnessing the power of people working together. And that means everyone – individuals, nonprofits, companies, and government agencies.
We work every day to achieve our vision and mission by focusing on two foundations of better lives: Financial Opportunity and Educational Success. Specifically:
Financial Opportunity: Ensuring that all families have safe housing, healthy food and quality childcare. That they have jobs that allow them to support themselves and their families. And that they have access to financial tools and coaching to help build a better future.
Educational Success: Preparing children to enter school ready to learn, develop critical social and academic skills, and get the support they need to stay in school and graduate.
You are the key to making this shared vision a reality. Your gifts become critical funding for ground-breaking initiatives and best-in-class partnerships with nonprofit agencies throughout our region, your time and talents fuel the engine for change; your friends, family and colleagues are the army of difference-makers who positively impact lives.
That’s what it means to LIVE UNITED.
Please join us.
UWMB is seeking a Director, Business Development & Community Event Fundraising. The Director will be responsible for overseeing components of new business development, which United Way is looking to grow significantly. The candidate will work closely with external partners, including donors, volunteers, and corporations. The candidate must have the ability to motivate and mobilize volunteers and donors and work collaboratively across departments within the organization. Additionally, The Director will be responsible for fundraising around the 4 Signature Community Events—Community Baby Shower, Board Connection, Project Connect, and Thanksgiving Project.
New Business Development – 50%
The Director will work with the AVP, Corporate Relations to determine and execute against “New Business” goals. Specifically, the Director will be expected to:
- Leverage current partner and vendor relationships, develop new business relationships and execute on new partnerships.
- Cold-call new business prospects.
- Train and socialize New Business internally across the organization, including best practices in the acquisition and internal protocol and processes.
- Serve as Development lead for Thanksgiving Project, coordinating efforts across the department and leveraging the event as a business development opportunity.
Signature Event Fundraising- 50%
Working in conjunction with the AVP, Engagement and reporting to AVP, Corporate Relations, the director will be responsible for maximizing fundraising from our signature community events.
- Fundraise for United Way’s 4 Signature Community Events: Community Baby Shower, Board Connection, Project Connect, and Thanksgiving Project.
- In conjunction with CDO and AVP, Engagement, set fundraising goals for each of the Signature Community Events.
- Engage Corporate Relations team and Individual Giving team to support fundraising efforts.
- As appropriate, lead committee(s) of external volunteers in fundraising for these events.
- Retain, grow, and manage relationships with sponsors for each event, driving them toward deepened engagement with United Way.
- Other duties as assigned
The Director will be expected to inspire the trust and confidence of others in the organization and external volunteers with whom s/he interacts. The position requires the ability to collaborate with a diverse team of professionals, including peers within the Department and cross-functionally, and our corporate and community partners. Specifically, the Director will be expected to:
- Gain the confidence and trust of others through strong leadership and volunteer management practices
- Learn and develop from personal experience and from others
- Foster a sense of energy, ownership, and personal connection to the work, the communities we serve, and our volunteers and donors
- Lead by example and demonstrate UW’s core values in all internal and external relationships
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in fundraising and volunteer and/or program management.
- Strategic and conceptual thinker.
- Self-starter mentality.
- Excellent communication skills – written, verbal, and interpersonal and public speaking skills required.
- Proven ability to work with urgency and diligence to complete tasks on time.
- Project management skills – proven ability to schedule, plan, track and complete complex projects on time.
- Event management skills.
- Proven ability to collaborate and be successful working with cross-functional teams.
- Must be organized, detail oriented, able to multitask, persistent in follow up, able to meet tight deadlines and interact with all levels of personnel.
- Strong skills with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, internet and social media.
- Experience using database systems similar to Andar preferred, but not required.
- Commitment to excellence and the mission of United Way and providing a world-class experience.
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS SHOULD FORWARD RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley
Human Resources Coordinator
51 Sleeper Street, Boston MA 02210
For information on additional opportunities, please go to supportunitedway.org