About United Way:
We are the Uniters. We bring people together to solve problems. We identify the most pressing issues in our community, and we bring together the people we think can solve them. United Way funds agencies that, working together, can address the nuances of complex problems like homelessness or the academic achievement gap. We create programs and initiatives to fill unmet needs. We deploy volunteers and socially responsible companies as the engines of change and the feet on the street, delivering hope to people in need. We raise funding through generous donors who understand that social change can’t happen without it.
As Director, Business Development - you are part sales leader, part sales manager, and part skilled relationship manager. You are a motivated performer and are comfortable engaging the C-Suite level with both large and mid-sized corporations. You understand internal platforms and processes to drive performance outcomes. This position will report directly to the Vice President. In this role, you will focus on Digital Services and Salesforce Philanthropy Cloud (SPC) license sales and distribution. As well as campaign management for companies on the SPC tool. The role will partner with the corporate relations team, the campaign cabinet, and the board to attain SPC goals. You are motivated by making a difference for all communities, for helping corporate partners achieve better business outcomes, and for hitting revenue targets. SaaS and/or Platform Sales experience preferred. Self-starter, curious, high EQ, motivated, team player, goal-oriented.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Drive SPC sales to companies that do not currently partner with United Way, as well current partners not on SPC platform.
- Close new SPC partnerships.
- Help train Development personnel on SPC value proposition, sales strategy, selling platforms, and tools to achieve goals.
- Engage with and support the key volunteer stakeholders and internal development team drive SPC sales performance and goal achievement and add new companies to the United Way.
- Be able to clearly articulate United Way’s brand value, mission, and vision and its unique positioning to solve some of the most critical challenges impacting the communities we serve.
- Assist in developing distribution strategy, market feedback, and competitive analysis to continuously improve go-to-market approach.
- Build strong, mutually beneficial relationships with key corporate partners and individuals in order to increase revenue and retain donors.
- Includes analyzing donor and account giving patterns in order to plan, execute and support assigned workplace campaigns using best practices; building relationships with key account influencers and inspiring them to try new approaches to retaining donors and acquiring donors.
Is accountable for the work results and performance to the budget of an assigned function within the department, as well as the effective and efficient utilization of UW resources (human, financial, and capital.) Articulates and communicates work goals and objectives, as well as expected work results. Establishes work quality standards for the assigned team in order to help ensure the attainment of departmental goals and objectives. Accepts responsibility for the outcomes achieved. Protects the United Way brand, promoting its relevance and statue to the extent possible. Behaves ethically and honestly in all activities done on behalf of UW and the movement. Demonstrates a commitment to UW’s values, including diversity and inclusiveness.
Weighs the pros and cons of available options and makes decisions within their function to align with that of the VP. Seeks input from team leaders on the potential impact of decisions on their ability to effectively achieve desired outcomes/results. Identifies and communicates departmental/organizational tactics, challenges, and opportunities. Encourages risk-taking.
Evaluates available information and recommends a course of action. Contributes to its own assessment of risks and implications of decisions in team decision-making efforts. Develops and proposes effective alternative solutions. Uses judgment appropriately in decision-making. Knows when to shift decision-making upwards.
Helps to build a cohesive and diverse department within their function to align with that of the VP. Supports and motivates others to contribute to the department.
Shares pertinent information and keeps team members informed on a regular basis. Ensures that processes, systems, and resources are available and direct them properly to enable the team to efficiently accomplish its goals and objectives. Able to adapt quickly to changing conditions or performance expectations. Able to focus on assignments during periods of change and/or uncertainty.
Embodies and promotes UW's values and guiding principles. Promotes a "win-win" philosophy in dealing with others. Serves as a role model in dealing with others to accomplish organizational goals and objectives. Works effectively with United Way staff, volunteers and other stakeholders to achieve the strategic direction. Able to manage and sustain key relationships to benefit the United Way movement. Formulates and communicates in an ethical and politically sensitive manner.
Expresses ideas and concepts in a clear and concise manner. Is persuasive and influences others. Actively listens to others to understand their perspectives. Seeks input and feedback on individual, team and departmental performance and environment. Supports openness.
Shares a deep commitment to the UW vision. Develops a "connected" vision for the Group. Has a plan to meet Group vision and contribute to overall success. Promotes a climate that values and rewards innovation and creativity. Acknowledges and champions the efforts of others to "think outside the box". Maintains knowledge of current and emerging trends that affect United Ways, UW and/or the non-profit sector. Demonstrates the ability to analyze information and translate into specific, effective action/solutions.
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 3 to 5 years of progressive experience in a similar role.
- Prior sales and or business development experience.
- Masterful corporate relations and consultative sales experience.
- Excellent strategic philanthropy knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff.
- High emotional intelligence and optimistic demeanor.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to successfully deliver in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS SHOULD FORWARD A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley,
Human Resources Coordinator,
51 Sleeper Street, Boston, MA 02210.
For information on additional opportunities, please access our Web Site at www.unitedwaymassbay.org
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is committed to hiring individuals who
reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.