Position: Director of Business Development
Department Resource Development
Status: Full time
Through close collaboration with the VP/RD, increase revenue by developing and implementing aggressive plans to cultivate new business relationships and new revenue. Plan, organize and direct fundraising efforts within organizations, work with individuals who make up assigned divisions, and assist in the overall campaign efforts through management of assigned existing accounts. Support United Way's commitment to outstanding and responsive customer service.
- Develop new relationships with key business leaders and non-profit partners for fundraising.
- Research and approach new potential Fundraising Committee members.
- Research and identify potential funding partners
- Develop and implement aggressive plans to cultivate new business relationships and new revenue. Serve as a “door opener” and schedule meetings with key executives at prospect accounts for UW executive staff and Board leadership
- Manage assigned business segments (ex. Real Estate firms) and special projects targeted at increasing revenue for the organization
- Manage the small business development program targeted to commercial, retail and other small business sectors
- Manage a small portfolio of existing key accounts throughout the year, including planning and oversight of the accounts’ annual United Way campaigns – focusing on maintaining and continuing to build new/deeper relationships.
- Work with volunteer and marketing staff to develop and execute engagement opportunities for business partners and prospects
- Plan, research, and record key information for assigned corporate partners and key contacts.
- Assists with other organization-wide events, programs and projects as needed
- Represents the organization at community meetings and events as assigned.
Supervises and supports UWCJ volunteers as appropriate.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Ability to work varied hours including nights, weekends and holidays as needed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Previous experience overseeing fundraising programs, prior United Way experience a plus
- Minimum of one (1) year fund development experience using a variety of methods is required.
- Possession of a Bachelors’ Degree in Business, Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience is desired.
- Licenses - Must possess a valid New Jersey Driver’s License, a reliable automobile, and auto insurance.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Ability to write professional reports and correspondences.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups or employees of organization.
- Competent in Microsoft Office Suite, web browsers
- Familiarity with ANDAR a plus
- Ability to supervise and delegate tasks to volunteers.
- Ability to deal with the public in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to effectively operate office equipment.
- Ability to cultivate donors by building strong relationships with individuals.
- Must be able to function independently and be able to seek guidance when necessary.
- Excellent writing, communication, organizational, time management skills.
- Must be comfortable with public speaking to groups of varied sizes
- Ability to maintain a professional, confidential work environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands and talk or hear. Fine motor skills such as typing, the use of a computer mouse and telephone handset is required. Employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to sit, stoop, kneel and crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.