Position: Director, Budget, and Financial Analysis
Reports To: AVP Financial Planning and Analysis
Organization Summary: United Way of New York City (UWNYC) is a nonprofit mobilizing people and organizations to eradicate barriers and create opportunities that improve the lives of low-income New Yorkers. Part of the United Way Worldwide system, one of the world's most recognized charitable brands, we envision caring communities in which all individuals and families have access to quality education and the opportunity to lead healthy and financially secure lives. We strive to model our values in all our relationships, both internal and external: Collaboration, Compassion, Integrity, Accountability, and Superior Performance.
Position Overview: This position oversees the revenue management and planning for the organization, serving as a critical bridge between Resource Development (RD) and Finance. This position provides critical budget analysis support directly to the AVP of Financial Planning and Analysis as well as strategic and finance advisory to the Executive Vice President and Chief Advancement Officer and the Resource Development leadership team. Although the position is housed within the Finance Department of UWNYC, a primary goal is to build a culture of data driven decision-making by leading projects that enable the tracking and measurement of the Resource Development (RD) team’s initiatives and performance. As a result, there will be regular reporting and advisory interaction with members of the RD Team as well as RD leadership.
This Director plays a key role across the organization and needs to be a person focused both on budget analysis and capable of describing revenue modeling, forecasting and goal setting to diverse inter-departmental audiences. The candidate will have strong inter-personal skills and curiosity for UWNYC’s programmatic and revenue functions in order to work across multiple stakeholder groups.
- Responsible for monitoring, and reporting on revenue results as well as working closely with the EVP of Advancement to build the annual revenue budget; setting goals for the fundraising team; tracking performance on an account level; assessing risks to revenue realization with regard to budget and working with the AVP Financial Planning and Analysis to mitigate same.
- Support AVP of Financial Planning and Analysis and EVP of Advancement with grant budget development and tracking that ensures effective financial management and consistency across the organization.
- Support the AVP of Financial Planning and Analysis in managing the organization’s Financial Planning and providing financial insights and advice to the EVP of Advancement, Chief Financial Officer, President’s Office, and the Board of Directors.
- Design and implement information systems and tracking tools that enable the RD team to more effectively manage corporate and individual portfolios, while tracking their performance.
- Provide data intelligence and strategic thinking, develop financial and non-financial analyses that generate fundraising opportunities through corporate partnerships and individual engagement.
- Perform account and variance analysis as directed by the AVP of Financial Planning and Analysis.
- Work closely with the Accounting and Business Operations units to ensure proper revenue booking and reconciliation.
- Boost fundraising productivity by building a culture of data-driven decision-making in the RD department. Act as a critical “bridging” agent between Finance and Resource Development, i.e. help establish improved analytical processes in Resource Development while assisting Finance to understand critical fundraising challenges, opportunities, and risks.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, with at least 5-years’ experience in a position requiring detailed budget analysis, financial planning, reporting on and tracking financial performance, non-profit revenue growth strategy. Some experience in the non-profit sector is a must
- General knowledge of GAAP and fund accounting.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills with ability to manage and analyze large data sets.
- Expert in Excel and Power Point Familiarity with donor databases, data mining, and reporting
- Independent self-starter; motivated to seek out new opportunities to review and analyze data to support strategic decision-making; comfortable with embracing change
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to work well within levels and departments across the organization
- Excellent presentation skills, including the use and explanation of graphs
- Detail oriented and organized with ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Key Competencies:
- Strong quantitative analytical skills
- Strategic Relationship Building
- Effective and Engaging Communicator
- Embracing and Managing Change
- Entrepreneurial and Innovative