Job Title: Director of Advancement/Senior Director of Advancement
Reports to: President/ Chief Executive Officer
Location: Winchester, Virginia
FLSA: Full Time, Exempt
This position is responsible for the development and implementation of strategies to successfully run the Annual Campaign for a select portfolio of companies and the solicitation and maintenance of individual major gifts within the portfolio. This position is responsible for working collaboratively with volunteers to ensure the success of organizational strategies and initiatives. The Director of Advancement is responsible for supervising the Data Management & Processing Specialist. The Director of Advancement is also tasked with identifying new and growth -potential partnerships and implementing special strategies to enhance their relationship with UWNSV.
The Director of Advancement contributes to achieving United Way’s mission and vision by leading engagement marketing strategies that create awareness, build support and strengthen stakeholder affinity for United Way. Under the direction of the President/CEO, the Director of Advancement is responsible for having extensive knowledge and skills in the areas of experiential marketing, brand delivery, community program management and project management.
Resource Development (40%)
- Create and implement a plan to achieve the campaign fundraising goals in portfolios.
- Plan, organize and conduct the Annual Campaign in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Secure the support of corporations, individuals, and foundations for assigned programs and initiatives.
- Analyze and evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of previous workplace campaigns to. develop strategies and plans for continuous quality improvement.
- Monitor resource development progress and project anticipated results.
- Collaborate with the Office Manager to create best practices in gift processing and financial opportunities for donors to create excellent donor experiences.
- Identify growth-potential companies to engage with UWNSV and grow in campaign participation, corporate giving, grants, and volunteer engagement.
- Cultivate and develop new affinity campaigns and giving groups.
- Speak publicly on behalf of the organization as needed: Educate volunteers, workforce communities, and others about the UWNSV mission, impact and community needs.
- Manage and implement year-round relationships with corporate partners to ensure long-term partnerships and support of the UWNSV’s programs.
- Manage relationships with company donor and key stakeholder prospects within accounts.
- Conduct meetings with volunteers on a regular basis to assess progress. Assist in setting goals, task-identification, motivational ideas, timetables and schedules for responsibility areas, recognition, and reporting.
- Participate in the identification, recruitment, orientation, and training of other organizational UWNSV volunteers.
- Work with the president/CEO and campaign cabinet to cultivate emerging companies and forge new UWNSV partnerships.
- Demonstrate excellent leadership and guidance when sharing and implementing vision of special growth strategies, serving as a mentor and role model to the rest of the team.
Volunteer Outreach and Engagement (35%)
- Build donor, partner, and volunteer relationships across all sectors.
- Serve as the staff contact for UWNSV affinity groups and develops and implements strategies to deepen their engagement with the UWNSV.
- Supervises volunteers and works with others to direct, assess and evaluate the effectiveness of engagement activities, including community programs, volunteerism, in-kind contributions, volunteer speakers, and community events.
- Assesses and responds to opportunities, while demonstrating solid judgement in carrying through project or program development. Involves team members when decisions impact more than one area or have significant impact to a segment of internal or external stakeholders.
- Oversee events and leadership strategies as requested
- Participate in and support, contract employees as assigned, which may include temporary campaign or special events, Employee Campaign Coordinator Training, Awards Programs and other special projects and events as needed.
Marketing and Communications (25%)
- Develops, recommends, leads, promotes, coordinates and analyzes strategies and activities that educate and connect people to our community impact work.
- Guided by organizational strategy, works autonomously to develop, implement, and achieve plans.
- Maintains website and assigns staff member tasks to keep website up to date and current.
- Is responsible for managing or delegating a social media calendar that is both engaging and effective.
- Completes graphic design projects as needed using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop.
- Creates a communications calendar and writes and distributes all press releases while working in conjunction with the team.
- Bachelor’s degree required, CPMP or CFRE certification preferred
- Minimum 6 years of experience in fundraising, resource development and/or advancement or 10+ years related business experience in sales.
- Minimum 5 years supervisory experience with track record of effectively leading teams preferred
- Prior experience working in not-for-profit organization preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership and coaching skills with the ability to recruit, engage, lead, motivate, train, supervise and manage a diverse team.
- Understands general business and financial principles required to effectively lead, manage and align resources for performance; able to read financial statements and manage budgets.
- Ability to oversee and prioritize a wide variety of projects from inception to completion.
- Knowledge of fundraising processes and best practices.
- Ability to think strategically in terms of United Way’s strengths within the community and opportunities that exist for new and improved practices.
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Normal office conditions
- Employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 lbs.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Excellent Verbal and written communications skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Specifically Excel, Access and PowerPoint)
- Experience with Websites, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter
- Ability to interact in a positive way with individuals and groups.
- Demonstrated ability to speak at public forums.
- Must be flexible, energetic and multitask oriented.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment and interface with people on a daily basis.
- Dependable and reliable to meet deadlines.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities.
- Willing to learn and grow in a complex and dynamic product environment
- Adobe Indesign and Photoshop experience
The statements made herein are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.