United Way of El Paso County is committed to improving the lives and futures of all people in the community. We bring together expertise, funding and volunteer support to positively impact education, health, basic needs, and financial stability. In partnership with others, we work to eliminate inequities experienced by diverse populations so that all people have a safe, healthy home environment, achieve their educational potential, and increase their financial stability. We commit to building bridges across cultural, racial, religious, and economic boundaries.
Position: Development Specialist
Reports to: Assistant Director of Philanthropy
Purpose: The Development Specialist supports the mission of United Way of El Paso County (UWEPC) by providing administrative and organizational support to public and private sector employee workplace giving campaigns, and community and corporate engagement opportunities.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Public Sector Campaigns – 25%
Serve as lead staff person in the coordination of public sector workplace giving campaigns. For each employee group (campaign):
- Establish and maintain a close professional relationship with volunteer leadership, committee members, and campaign coordinators.
- Prepare a detailed campaign administration plan and budget in accordance with the applicable regulations.
- Assist in the development of the campaign structure, timetable and campaign promotional materials.
- Develop, prepare materials and conduct training for coordinators.
- Conduct campaign operations.
- Develop and implement awards programs.
- Maintain inventory, to include donor brochures, pledge forms, pledge envelopes, donor incentives, etc
Donor Data Management – 25%
Serve as lead staff person for donor relationship management system.
- Develop and maintain system expertise to support the agency-wide fundraising/donor relationship management efforts.
- Serve as system “super user” and staff trainer.
- Assure maintenance of complete and accurate data for all prospects and donors.
- Assure documentation of significant donor/prospect information, relationship activities, interactions and communications, solicitations, historical data and other important details.
United Way Branded Campaigns – 30%
Provide general administrative support for United Way branded campaigns:
- Prepare donor materials for workplace campaigns, cultivation calls, etc.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with Employee Campaign Coordinator(s).
- As needed:
- schedule speakers, tours, rallies and other activities.
- collect and follow-up of donor documentation, including tallying of contributions.
- conduct presentations during campaign meetings and community presentations.
Grant Writing Support and Coordination – 10%
Responsible for upkeep of grant tracker, grant research, and coordination of grant-related meetings to ensure all staff understand their roles in the application process. Will serve as lead for a portion of United Way grant applications ensuring full organizational integration, including support from other senior staff and/or contract grant writers.
Written appeals and thank you efforts – 10%
Manage written appeals and thank you process, to include corporate, employee, individual, and loyal contributors.
- Collect and verify donor information.
- Coordinate envelope stuffing, labeling, folding, etc.
- Support special functions as needed.
SKILLS AND COMPENTENCIES:
- Interpersonal Skills
- Experience working in collaborative environments and cross functionally to achieve goals.
- Strong project management, process improvement, or other applicable experience.
- Strong analytical skills using data to support decisions.
- Problem-solver and self-starter who initiates solutions; collaborates and negotiates effectively with team members, partners, and stakeholders. Strong ability to distill and communicate complex issues and concepts to others.
- Personal attributes of honesty, integrity, professional behavior, tact, sense of urgency, and sense of humor.
Intermediate knowledge of MS Office applications (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel); Intermediate knowledge of social media and website management platforms i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Wix; and Intermediate knowledge of virtual meeting platforms i.e. Zoom, GoToMeeting, Facebook Live, Microsoft Teams.
- Equity Mindset
- Network Mindset
- Learning Mindset
Applies appropriate strategic logic to decisions and initiatives. Identifies efforts that will have the greatest strategic impact.
Fosters a sense of teamwork, leverages differences, and facilitates the effective interaction and contribution of others to achieve goals.
Engage and Inspire
Articulates and inspires commitment to a plan of action aligned with organizational mission and goals.
Gains the confidence and trust of others through principled leadership and sound business ethics.
Champions new ideas and initiatives and creates an environment that supports innovation.
Focus on Community
Ensures the delivery of exceptional service and value to the communities we serve.
Core Competencies for all UWEPC Staff
- Mission Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to the mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before processes and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement
- Results Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good: creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
- Behaviors reflect a belief that individuals from diverse backgrounds lead to a more successful organization.
- Educates oneself about DEI issues within the organization and community.
- Demonstrates a willingness to become aware of and address one’s own implicit biases.
- Deliberately works to include individuals from underrepresented backgrounds in efforts both internally and externally as appropriate.
- Identifies and integrates the tools and resources needed to create more equitable environments.
Qualifications--Knowledge, Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in subjects related to public relations, communications, marketing, or social services, plus five years of volunteer or work experience and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience related to the duties of the position.
Knowledge of the non-profit sector is a plus.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule with the possibility of early morning, evening, and weekend work.
Valid driver’s license, insurance and vehicle required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Classification: Non-Exempt Salary: $31,000 - $36,000
This is a full time exempt position with competitive Benefits (Health, Dental, Life Insurance and Retirement Contributions).