United Way of the Bluegrass (UWBG) works to create the opportunity for all members of our community to have a better life. We focus on the building blocks of a good life — a quality education, financial stability for individuals and families, and good health. The work of UWBG focuses on strategic initiatives, public education, advocacy, outcomes and evaluation, development and strengthening of partnerships/collaborations, convening, resource mobilization and investment as well as backbone and engagement strategies and activities. We bring together the voices, the expertise, and the resources to define, articulate and implement a common agenda for change for our region. That is what it means to "Live United" in Central Kentucky.
The Development Officer, Corporate Engagement (DOCE) is charged with growing and strengthening United Way of the Bluegrass relationships with a select group of organizations and employee market segments within those organizations. The position’s objectives are to maximize giving growth through a concerted effort to establish and grow meaningful relationships with company leadership, key influencers / stakeholders and priority donors in order to retain and grow our current donor base and develop new business and new donor relationships. He / She will be responsible for creating and executing the short- and long-term account plans for each organization to realize substantial revenue growth. This outward facing role will require the candidate to be a leader who has the demonstrated ability to build strong, mutually beneficial relationships.
- Directly responsible for building strong, mutually beneficial relationships with key corporate partners and individuals within portfolio.
- Works effectively with the Development Team and other functions at UWBG to be able to provide appropriate support and value to partners.
- Leverages relationships to create additional opportunities with other organizations and individuals.
- Is accountable to complete face-to-face meetings weekly with customers and prospects throughout their assigned accounts in order to expand UWBG influence within each organization.
- Maintains accurate and detailed donor and account records in Andar and other systems in order to analyze the effectiveness of the plan against delivering objectives.
- In conjunction with leadership and the Development team, create annual account plans and action steps needed to engage accounts on a year-round basis and to secure additional financial support for UWBG.
- By working with staff and volunteers, drives the execution of their plan, and manage the action steps and results from these efforts.
- Tracks revenue generation, retention, visits, and key business activity throughout the year, provide regular activity status, update projections to target and conduct the appropriate account analysis to build and refine business goals.
- Through the managing of key corporate accounts and individual relationships, increases revenue through workplace giving campaigns.
- Participates in the creation and execution of fundraising, engagement and stewardship strategies that increase donor retention and generate financial growth in portfolio through corporate gifts, individual investments, corporate sponsorships and underwriting, and other engagements.
- Develops a deeper connection within the community around traditional fundraising activities such as workforce campaign and individual leadership giving.
- Creates an Employee Campaign Coordinator (ECC) Community to inspire a group of Campaign Coordinators to greater generosity of time, influence, and money.
- Connects ECCs to the valuable role they play in creating Community Impact through successful workforce campaigns, year-round communication, increased volunteerism, and advocacy.
- Promotes UWBG programs and offerings to accounts to build their support of UWBG’s work and to provide ways for their employees to benefit from the partnership.
- Represents UWBG at community events throughout the region.
- Attends and provides support for UWBG events to build brand awareness and engage constituents.
- Other duties as assigned.
CORE UNITED WAY COMPETENCIES
❖MISSION-FOCUSED - A top priority is to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This competency drives performance and professional motivations.
❖RELATIONSHIP ORIENTED - Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
❖COLLABORATOR - Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
❖RESULTS-DRIVEN - Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good, creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
❖BRAND STEWARD - A steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT COMPETENCIES
❖EFFECTIVE FUNDRAISING - Is donor-focused and results-driven, with a relentless focus on gaining financial resources to support United Way’s mission and community impact strategic objectives. Sets ambitious yet realistic goals; Connects donors’ and prospects’ interests directly to United Way’s work. Creates a strong case for support and successfully “sells” the idea, program, or funding opportunity to donor and/or supporter. Inspires commitment and support for United Way.
❖STRATEGIC RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT - Develops and maintains strategic relationships that generate the financial resources necessary to support United Way’s mission. Builds trust and donor commitment to United Way. Creates win-win relationships; engages with donors year-round, not just during campaign season, to nurture and enhance relationships. Displays cultural knowledge and sensitivities and applies that knowledge to fundraising efforts. Is visible with donors and community leaders.
❖ENTREPRENEURIAL AND INNOVATIVE – Creatively seeks new opportunities to generate revenue and other resources that add greater value to the organization and the community including the ability to understand and contribute to the product development process, able to assess donor’s interest, and accurately convey those to cross-functional team. Identifies, anticipates, and adapts to changing market trends and business needs. Understands challenges and opportunities in the business environment; Focuses on continuous improvement
❖BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT AND SALES - Plans, implements, and evaluates business development and sales efforts. Uses multiple methods and various sources of information to identify and approach prospective donors and maintains positive relationships with existing donors. Collaborates with Community Impact Department (CI). Engages CI in donor engagement and fundraising by learning details of current community impact solutions. Shares information with CI about donor needs and interests to improve existing products and create new ones.
- 3-5 years or equivalent years of consultative sales or fundraising experience in either for profit or non-profit entities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in applicable field (e.g. business, communications, nonprofit management, etc.) or work experience equivalent.
- Focused sales/marketing/development experience with an applied emphasis on customer or donor relationship building; significant applied consulting sales skills; demonstrated success with effective listening skills.
- Excellent strategic thinking and problem-solving skills, with attention to detail and follow through.
- Achievement oriented; shows initiative and enthusiasm while demonstrating uncompromising responsibility, courage, and self-confidence, even in the face of difficulties.
- Experience with CRM (Andar preferred).
- Proficient with Google and Microsoft Suites.
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and to work calmly under the pressure of competing priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent teamwork, interpersonal and customer service skills including the ability to work respectfully and inclusively with a diverse set of individuals.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage, foster and grow long-standing donor relationships.
- Track record of being highly adaptable to working with changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with and influence stakeholder support including other staff, active volunteers, and donors at all levels.
- High energy, personal initiative, and passion for the work.
- Operates effectively as a highly self-motivated independent contributor, as well as a team-player collaborating as a member of cross-functional teams.
- Urgency and relentless energy to improve and innovate, navigating through uncharted territory.
- Good interpersonal skills and an ability to establish credibility and trust with internal and external partners, including at the executive level. This includes excellent verbal and written presentation and influence skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel and to work evenings and weekends on occasion.
- Demonstrated background in commercial sales or nonprofit development with a track record of directly contributing to financial growth and retention.
- Ideally, the candidate brings a robust network within the Central Kentucky region within the business and philanthropic community.
- Experience within a nonprofit or impact organization is preferred.
- Professionally supportive of UWBG’s mission.
- High degree of personal responsibility and integrity.
- An inspirational leader, skilled at painting a compelling picture of UWBG’s strategy and vision that motivates others to action.
- Holds oneself and others accountable in order to achieve goals and live up to commitments.
The employee is regularly required to communicate clearly, in oral and written formats, with others in person, over the phone and via other devices. The employee must be able to transcribe, read extensively, prepare, and analyze data and figures, operate a computer and other standard office machinery. The employee is required to travel regularly to locations outside of UWBG facilities to set up displays and presentations in both physical and electronic forms. The employee must have the ability to lift, carry, push, and/or pull objects weighing up to 50lbs.
The position is full-time and exempt, with full benefits. Compensation commensurate with experience.
A complete application includes a cover letter and resume.