United Way of the Bluegrass (UWBG) works to create the opportunity for all members of our community to have a better life. We focus on the building blocks of a good life — a quality education, financial stability for individuals and families, and good health. The work of UWBG focuses on strategic initiatives, public education, advocacy, outcomes and evaluation, development and strengthening of partnerships/collaborations, convening, resource mobilization and investment as well as backbone and engagement strategies and activities. We bring together the voices, the expertise, and the resources to define, articulate and implement a common agenda for change for our region. That is what it means to "Live United" in Central Kentucky.
The Development Officer, Affinity Groups (DOAG) assists with the identification of and prioritizes opportunities for new relationships with new and established clients for all UWBG products and services. The DOAG develops and nurtures networks to build and maintain a pipeline of prospects. The DOAG is responsible for the execution, in partnership with the Resource Development (RD) team, the strategic oversight and implementation of UWBG’s resource expansion strategy as defined by leadership staff. This role will establish and manage fundraising targets, aid in the development of strong sales tools and products, and work with development operations to track metrics to ensure targets are being met across the department. The position will focus on growth in membership and revenue within Women’s United, Young Leaders Society, and Tocqueville Society and will be responsible for non-managed UWBG workplace campaigns.
- Meets the fundraising goals of the United Way of the Bluegrass through effective personal and team portfolio account management.
- Travels to assigned communities to conduct renewable and new business a minimum of two days per week.
- Effectively manages, solicits, cultivates, and grows assigned portfolio of individuals.
- Identifies prospective partners, initiates, and builds relationships with prospects.
- Negotiates terms that deliver value to donors of UWBG.
- Responsible for developing and prospecting potential new clients and converting these relationships into increased engagement and revenue for UWBG.
- Responsible for timely communication with the other Resource Development staff, Vice President, Resource Development, President & Chief Executive Officer, and internal/external customers.
- Conducts ongoing identification, recruitment, and activation of an influential, financially strong, and inclusive volunteer leadership base to support the campaign.
- Development of year-round pipelines and cultivation plans for major gift prospects.
- Meets annual measurable goals and objectives.
- Responsible for delivering on business development and relationship management goals and metrics for team.
- Participate in speaking engagements about Affinity Groups and Leadership Giving engagement during trainings and company events, as needed.
- Track, maintain and provide reports on membership numbers and dollars raised from all affinity groups, and reconcile budget reports with the Finance department monthly.
- Continuously build awareness and engagement of UWBG programs and affinity groups.
- Plan and execute donor engagement events (networking, professional development, and volunteer projects) per year in coordination with volunteer committees to demonstrate and exemplify the mission and community impact of United Way.
- Determine engagement and event plan for the year to include maintaining budget, processing invitations, tracking RSVPs, managing the registration process, tracking attendance, and assuming responsibility for analysis and metrics of affinity group engagement throughout the year. Event preparation will also include helping with nametags, decor, food, materials, speaker, and sponsorship coordination.
- Actively engage donors and prospects through events designed to cultivate members and enhance relationships. Provide consistent follow-up post events to secure commitments or move relationships forward.
- Work closely with the corporate engagement team and United Way volunteers to identify companies to target for education on affinity groups and recruitment of new members.
CORE UNITED WAY COMPETENCIES
❖MISSION-FOCUSED - A top priority is to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This competency drives performance and professional motivations.
❖RELATIONSHIP ORIENTED - Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
❖COLLABORATOR - Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
❖RESULTS-DRIVEN - Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good, creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
❖BRAND STEWARD - A steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT COMPETENCIES
❖EFFECTIVE FUNDRAISING - Is donor-focused and results-driven, with a relentless focus on gaining financial resources to support United Way’s mission and community impact strategic objectives. Sets ambitious yet realistic goals; Connects donors’ and prospects’ interests directly to United Way’s work. Creates a strong case for support and successfully “sells” the idea, program, or funding opportunity to donor and/or supporter. Inspires commitment and support for United Way.
❖STRATEGIC RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT - Develops and maintains strategic relationships that generate the financial resources necessary to support United Way’s mission. Builds trust and donor commitment to United Way. Creates win-win relationships; engages with donors year-round, not just during campaign season, to nurture and enhance relationships. Displays cultural knowledge and sensitivities and applies that knowledge to fundraising efforts. Is visible with donors and community leaders.
❖ENTREPRENEURIAL AND INNOVATIVE – Creatively seeks new opportunities to generate revenue and other resources that add greater value to the organization and the community including the ability to understand and contribute to the product development process, able to assess donor’s interest, and accurately convey those to cross-functional team. Identifies, anticipates, and adapts to changing market trends and business needs. Understands challenges and opportunities in the business environment; Focuses on continuous improvement.
❖BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT AND SALES - Plans, implements, and evaluates business development and sales efforts. Uses multiple methods and various sources of information to identify and approach prospective donors and maintains positive relationships with existing donors. Collaborates with Community Impact Department (CI). Engages CI in donor engagement and fundraising by learning details of current community impact solutions. Shares information with CI about donor needs and interests to improve existing products and create new ones.
- Bachelor’s Degree in applicable field (e.g. business, communications, nonprofit management, etc.) or work experience equivalent.
- Demonstrated success in relationship management/fundraising, volunteer management and event planning, communication skills, and the ability to listen well.
- The patience and interpersonal skills needed to perceive and react sensitively to the needs and interests of potential donors.
- Skilled in initiating conversations and relationships with individuals while building rapport quickly to deliver results.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- The ability to inspire confidence in United Way volunteer leadership, staff, and potential donors through sound judgment, discretion, and commitment.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to work nights and weekends for events.
- The successful candidate will be mature, highly motivated, team-oriented, with the highest ethical standards and ability to drive results.
- 2 years of experience in philanthropy desirable
- Demonstrated background in commercial sales or nonprofit development with a track record of directly contributing to financial growth and retention.
- Experience within a nonprofit or impact organization is preferred.
- Professionally supportive of UWBG’s mission.
- Experience with CRM (Andar preferred).
The employee is regularly required to communicate clearly, in oral and written formats, with others in person, over the phone and via other devices. The employee must be able to transcribe, read extensively, prepare, and analyze data and figures, operate a computer and other standard office machinery. The employee is required to travel regularly to locations outside of UWBG facilities to set up displays and presentations in both physical and electronic forms. The employee must have the ability to lift, carry, push, and/or pull objects weighing up to 50lbs.
The position is full-time and exempt, with full benefits. Salary Range - $45,000-$50,000 annually.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com