United Way of Broward County fights for the Health, Education and Financial Prosperity of EVERY person in our community.
General Description: The Development Officer (DO) is charged with implementing strategies within an assigned book of business, with a focus on growing revenue for UWBC’s community impact agenda. The position will strategize, create and implement year-round engagement plans that lead to effective and successful revenue generation to fuel our work. Also, the DO will identify, recruit and develop prospects for new business development on a year-round basis. New business may include new workplace campaigns, new corporate gifts, new sponsorships, grants and new gifts in-kind for UWBC.
Primary Job Responsibilities & Duties:
- Serve as the lead United Way staff for a portfolio of select companies and organizations.
- Collaboratively plan and execute annual workplace campaigns to achieve revenue goals. The goals will be centered around the annual campaign, special-initiative fundraising, sponsorship fundraising, grant funding and response to customer-focused giving interests that align with UWBC’s mission.
- Maintain current understanding of UWBC Community Impact work and be able to articulate to donors and the Broward community. Participate in internal and external committees to gain and keep current such understanding.
- Develop individualized campaign objectives and key messages for accounts (liaison with other staff/departments, as appropriate).
- Work cross-departmentally to coordinate year-round donor/volunteer engagement opportunities connected to our community impact agenda to enhance fundraising campaigns.
- Research, write and support grant applications as appropriate.
- Work with staff members responsible for financial reports, pledge processing and data entry to ensure account data is accurate and information is collected, recorded and distributed accurately and timely.
- Attend and assist with United Way events for fundraising and awareness including planning, implementation and evaluation particularly as they relate to campaign and outreach to new donors.
- Work with Major Gifts team to identify and create pipeline of donors with growth potential.
- Maintain current and accurate information in Andar database and CRM tools on all prospects and assigned accounts.
- Support UW’s annual Signature Events including ticket sales, promotions, and live/silent auctions.
- Performance evaluation to include feedback from direct constituents, both internal and external
- Experience in developing strategic plans for year-round corporate engagement.
- Ability to work independently, making appropriate decisions with direction as needed.
- Ability to manage relationships with constituents, both on a one-to-one and/or group basis.
- Strong written and oral presentation skills.
- Ability to work cross-functionally with Marketing, Finance, Major Gifts, and Community Impact to achieve position objectives and increase revenue.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of business and social community.
- Ability to work outside of standard office hours.
- Experience with donor relations database and CRM systems.
- Ability to analyze financial data to determine workplace strengths/weaknesses and develop innovative strategies to maximize results.
- Performs other duties and assumes other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
Supervises: Campaign Associates, volunteers and interns.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or at least 3 years’ experience in fund raising, sales or relationship building.
- Focused sales/marketing experience with applied emphasis on customer relationship management.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Experience working with and/or knowledge of United Way operations desirable.
- Computer proficiency required in customer relationship management systems and Microsoft Office software programs.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills.
Core Competency Requirements:
Ø Excels at customer service – Serves (treats) all customers (internal and external) with utmost respect and responsiveness in order to deepen relationships and advance UWBC’s mission.
Ø Drives for results – Has a passion for innovation and risk-taking, meets and exceeds qualitative and quantitative goals in a thoughtful and time-driven manner.
Ø Commits to the organization – Has the responsibility for aligning one’s own behavior, leadership and commitment with the needs, priorities, goals and culture of UWBC.
Ø Embraces diversity and inclusion – Creates an atmosphere that respects and embraces engagement of all people, ideas and backgrounds and aligns with United Way’s values.
Ø Seizes learning – Able and willing to learn new skills and knowledge and accept new challenges to further United Way’s mission.
Ø Manages multiple projects and tasks – Effectively manages time and resources to respond to emerging needs while continuing to deliver on organizational goals, objectives and timelines, and seeks help when needed in juggling priorities.
Ø Personifies teamwork – Demonstrates good collaboration and communication to be effective in any team setting.
Environment & Physical Demands: The environment is climate controlled (i.e., heated and air-conditioned). Lighting is adequate through overhead lighting as well as windows and blinds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical demands include sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time, bending, lifting approximately 25 pounds, regular use of the telephone, copier, fax and computer. Demands also involve protracted concentration.