United Way of Thurston County fights for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in our community. Our team works with donors, volunteers, corporate partners, nonprofit partners, schools, government bodies, and community leaders to improve lives by working together and bringing all of our resources to the table.
We are an independent, local affiliate of United Way Worldwide, with a local board of directors.
We believe that when we LIVE UNITED, we can bring bold change to our community.
The Deputy Director and Chief Development Officer reports to, and works in partnership with, the Executive Director, and is fully incorporated into all aspects of the organization’s finance, operations, resource development, and marketing.
S/He is responsible for leading, planning, and implementing all external fundraising activities for United Way of Thurston County. Major emphasis will be placed on pursuing growth strategies for fundraising channels beyond the corporate workplace, such as leadership and major gifts, planned giving, family foundations, affinity groups, small business giving, and fee for service. Additionally, S/He will oversee the development and execution of marketing and communication strategies, brand management, and oversight of the Marketing Department.
- Design and pursue growth strategies for fundraising channels beyond the corporate workplace, such as leadership and major gifts, planned giving, family foundations, affinity groups, small business, and fee for service.
- Develop and execute strategies to expand engagement with current corporate partners and their employees, and identify and cultivate strategies to engage new corporate partnerships, allowing for participation beyond the traditional corporate campaign.
- Oversee a “new business” pipeline that introduces UWTC to new and diverse communities and unique funding partnerships.
- Manage and personally solicit a group of major gifts and leadership donors and coordinate the cultivation of new prospects; develop a strategy around how the organization grows major gifts and leadership giving, including strategic affinity groups.
- Create fundraising strategies that support UWTC goals and initiatives.
- Work closely with the Community Impact leadership to develop compelling donor offers that justify investment, meet the philanthropic goals of the donor, as well as the needs of the community. This includes creating a pool of donor solutions at various investment levels, as well as engagement experiences tied to those investment solutions.
- Build strong relationships with Board Members and volunteers to achieve fundraising goals.
- Establish annual goals and objectives and be accountable for ensuring that set goals and objectives are met.
- Support executive staff, board members, and other volunteers in all aspects of donor stewardship and solicitation; provide training/coaching as needed.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of fundraising best practices and strategies including research funding sources and trends to insure the organization is positioned to succeed in a changing philanthropic environment.
- Develop and lead a high-caliber enthusiastic staff of fundraising professionals to ensure goals are achieved in an effective and efficient manner.
- Help build an environment of open communication and collaboration within the department and the organization.
- Be an exceptional communicator and an articulate, passionate and credible public presence for UWTC and an effective, inspirational and focused leader.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Communicates Effectively
- Continuous Learning
- Customer Focus
- Relationship Management
- Teamwork and Inclusion
- Drives for Results
- Problem Solving/ Critical Thinking
DESIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Communications, Marketing or a related field, or 7-10 years of experience in these or related fields.
- A proven track record of fundraising/business development experience gained in relevant positions of increasing responsibility and scope. At least 5 years of direct people leadership with both direct and indirect reports.
- Change Management experience – training team members and others in the organization to think creatively and manage through times of organizational transition.
- Track record of fundraising success in corporate, foundation, workplace, individual and major gifts, along with additional sources of revenue generation.
- Outstanding communication skills: an attentive listener, articulate speaker, and clear and persuasive writer.
- Strong cultural awareness with the ability to build relationships with donors from varied and diverse backgrounds and foster an inclusive donor engagement strategy.
- Excellent strategic, organizational and project management skills. A decisive, results-oriented individual who can keep seemingly diverse projects moving forward within a consistent strategic framework.
- A leader with the ability to motivate and inspire confidence among staff, colleagues, volunteers and donors.
- A self-motivated, confident and influential style that is coupled with sensitivity and flexibility. A strong leader with high emotional intelligence and professional standards.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF:
- Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of UWTC and the greater network.
Interested candidates should submit cover letter and resume to UWTC Executive Director, Chris Wells, at firstname.lastname@example.org.