Reports to: Associate Vice President, Education
United Way of New York City (UWNYC) is a nonprofit mobilizing people and organizations to eradicate barriers and create opportunities that improve the lives of low-income New Yorkers. Part of the United Way Worldwide system, one of the world's most recognized charitable brands, we envision caring communities in which all individuals and families have access to quality education and the opportunity to lead healthy and financially secure lives. We strive to model our values in all our relationships, both internal and external: Collaboration, Compassion, Integrity, Accountability, and Superior Performance.
The Data Manager, Research & Analytics supports research, data analysis, data management and reporting at United Way of New York City (UWNYC). The Manager is part of the Education unit that consists of both the ReadNYC and EducateNYC initiatives. The Manager has the following responsibilities: (a) conduct research and analysis to support evaluation of Education initiatives; (b) manage data collection and storage to ensure data availability, security and integrity; (c) develop analyses and reports to support strategic decision-making across the organization. The Manager mostly works in an analytical capacity and is required to have a thorough understanding of UWNYC’s strategic objectives and community impact initiatives.
Conduct research & analysis to support the evaluation of Community Impact initiatives
- Collect and analyze qualitative and quantitative data to provide regular insights about the outcomes of UWNYC’s Education initiatives.
- In collaboration with program staff across the Community Impact department, develop evaluation plans for school and community partners, and assess the contribution of individual agencies to network-wide goals.
- Analyze results to document which strategies worked and for whom; research bright spots to identify which approaches demonstrate potential for meaningful student, school and systems level change.
- Draw on existing research and community data resources to develop an understanding of the school communities that UWNYC serves and track shifts. When needed, conduct on-the-ground research to close knowledge gaps.
- Create regular reports and data visualizations that communicate insights from data analysis and facilitate rapid-cycle learning opportunities for UWNYC and its external partners.
Manage data collection and storage to ensure data security and integrity
- Develop and maintain data systems and processes to capture results and lessons learned for ReadNYC and EducateNYC initiatives and within UWNYC.
- Conduct data cleaning and quality control to remove errors and ensure data integrity.
- Craft data-sharing agreements with external partners; provide support to external partners to share data securely and in accordance with the agreements.
- Ensure that data is stored securely on UWNYC’s servers and that proper procedures are in place to comply with regulations concerning confidential data.
- Manage relationships with external data providers to ensure timely access to relevant data.
Develop analyses and reports to support strategic decision-making across the organization
- Use qualitative and quantitative data to monitor progress, identify trends, and derive insights about programmatic/organizational performance.
- Produce regular reports and/or dashboards to facilitate data-driven inquiry across the organization. Ensure timely availability of performance reports, analytical insights and relevant resources.
- Gather and prepare materials from across the organization for quarterly reviews.
- Ensure that the strategic plan, performance measurement reports, analytical insights, and other resources are communicated across the organization.
- Represent the Education team on internal UWNYC initiatives focused on improving the use of data to help improve society.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, with coursework in data analysis, research methodology, or related subjects.
- At least 2 years of experience in data collection, data management, quantitative and qualitative analysis, and creation of analytical products like reports, visualizations, dashboards, etc.
- Knowledge of and experience using local education and community data resources.
- Strong competency with basic software applications (Microsoft Office Suite) required. Expert level user of Microsoft Excel. Experience with database software and SPSS (or comparable) analytic software strongly preferred.
- Attention to detail and ability to validate and reconcile data collected from multiple sources.
- Strong verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Proven ability to take initiative, set priorities, meet deadlines, and manage multiple streams of work.
- Strong team-player who is able to collaborate and develop trusting relationships with diverse groups of people, including internal staff and external partners.
- Willingness to learn, embrace opportunities in change, and develop professionally from personal experience and from others.
- A passion for UWNYC’s mission and vision and an ability to demonstrate UWNYC’s core values (Collaboration, Compassion, Integrity, Accountability, and Superior Performance) in all internal and external relationships.
- Strategic Community Collaborator
- Critical Thinking & Creative Problem Solving
- Effective & Engaging Communicator
- Embracing & Managing Change
- Planning and Project Management
- $ 65,263 - $ 87,204
- The final determination of salary, within this range, will depend on the candidate’s education, skills and experience required for the particular position.
- Fully vaccinated for Covid-19
- Background check
- UWNYC is presently on a Hybrid/In-Person work schedule
United Way of NYC Core Competencies for All Staff
- Mission Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to the mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before processes and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement
- Results Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good: creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
How to apply:
Please apply on our United Way of New York City career page. No phone calls or faxes accepted. No phone calls or faxes accepted.
United Way of New York City is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer