United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call (703) 683-7860 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
The Creative Director is a member of the United Way Worldwide (UWW) Marketing team and plays a key role in amplifying United Way's mission and impact by leading the development of creative for use globally and locally in the advancement of the United Way brand. This individual is responsible for connecting the creative approach to the business strategy and developing compelling multi-channel campaigns.
Reporting to the Vice President, Global Brand Strategy, this person will partner with cross-functional teams including global brand marketing, communications, social media, digital, events, and financial development to help drive UWW's mission to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities around the world.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION
An individual must be collaborative and able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Oversee and be hands-on in all aspects of creative strategy, development, and execution.
- Create and evolve brand guides, style guides, brand voice and tone, and brand architectures
- Craft engaging creative that fulfills the needs as outlined in the brief and beyond.
- Develop effective creative that resonates with different audiences, cultures and languages
- Collaborate with a global team of storytellers
- Direct high-quality creative across mediums and channels
- Partner with marketing leadership peers to understand business needs, prioritize work, and identify new capabilities required of the creative team
- Demonstrate expertise in ideation, execution, and end-to-end facilitation of complex marketing and advertising content and copy across mediums and channels, including national TV, direct marketing, paid social, lead generation, and print
- Anticipate and adapt to the work, constantly testing and learning to achieve and improve results
- Lead an internal design team to deliver high-quality work
- Build relationships with external vendors, including agencies, vendors and freelancers, as needed
- Stay current on industry trends and emerging technologies to bring new ideas and approaches to the creative team and the wider organization
- Champion the United Way brand and model compliance best practices
- Other duties, as assigned
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor's degree plus a minimum of ten years of relevant work experience as a Creative Director or Art Director
- Experience managing and developing with a strong ability to lead and mentor team members
- Experience with InDesign, Adobe Creative Suite and other creative tools
- Approachable, collaborative, results-oriented, problem-solver who can work with minimal direction, evaluating best practices and offering effective solutions
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal – not afraid to have difficult discussions
- Team building skills, proactively seeking opportunities to develop team members
- Strong operational/project management experience
- Excellent organizational, presentation and communication (verbal and written) skills
- Ability to conduct and interpret quantitative and qualitative analyses
- Strong project management capabilities and the ability to juggle several projects at one time
- Solution-oriented, strategic thinker and communicator
- Relationship builder and collaborator
- Must have strong cultural competencies and the ability to translate United Way’s brand to audiences across all dimensions of diversity in ways that are relevant and engaging
- International experience a plus
Note: Candidates will be required to provide portfolio.
An individual must be able to demonstrate the following competencies at a satisfactory level:
Accountability/Results Orientation - Assumes accountability for the achievement of assigned work activities/tasks. Collaborates with others to agree upon desired results/outcomes and timeframe. Takes ownership of work methods/processes and seeks to continuously enhance them. Behaves ethically and honestly in all activities done on behalf of UWW and the movement. Demonstrates a commitment to UWW’s values, including diversity and inclusiveness.
Decision-Making/Risk-Taking - Gathers and analyzes pertinent information to aid in decision-making. Helps others to make effective decisions by providing needed information in an organized and thoughtful way.
Teamwork Collaboration - Contributes to the achievement of team objectives by helping others to complete tasks on own initiative. Shares information/ideas with other team members. Carries out assigned work projects. Identifies ways to make a greater contribution to the team. Able to adapt quickly to changing conditions or performance expectations. Able to focus on assignments during periods of change and/or uncertainty.
Relationship Management - Utilizes rapport to build trust and collaboration with others. Identifies and shares mutual benefits/needs in working together. Is ethical in dealing with others to achieve the desired results. Interacts and communicates with diverse stakeholders effectively. Fosters and maintains working relationships across the United Way system.
Communications - Expresses basic ideas in a clear, concise manner. Writes routine office correspondence. Communicates work results to team leaders in a timely manner. Shares information with team members willingly.
Innovation/Creativity - Adopts techniques to new situations. Finds new ways of utilizing existing information, ideas, concepts and/or strategies. Willingly shares recommendations for improvements to work systems, procedures or products. Uses initiative and ingenuity to decide how best to meet commitments.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Required degree level
Years of experience
- 5 - 10 years of experience
- $141,000 to $160,000 per year