This position is responsible for the financial records and accounting functions. The Controller ensures system-wide accuracy and integrity of financial data and maintenance of financial policies and procedures. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Vice President of Finance/CFO.
All United Way of Tucson and Southern Arizona (UWTSA) programs and strategies work toward eliminating racial, ethnic, and socio-economic disparities for an educated, thriving, and equitable community.
United Way offers competitive wages and a generous benefits packet with employer contributions for full time employees including medical, dental, 401K, HRA, PTO, 13 paid holidays, and opportunities for educational and professional development. For more information about our organization, see www.unitedwaytucson.org.
Salary range: $80,000 - $90,000
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate, manage, and prepare for the annual external financial audit, including any government or other funding source audits or reviews.
- During the on-site portion of the audit, work with external auditors to secure documents and materials and explain UWTSA’s accounting activity in a clear and efficient manner as to complete the audit within the scheduled timeframes.
- On all occasions during the year, ensure that staff maintain records and record entries in a manner that follows Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and UWTSA policies and procedures and that will result in an unqualified audit opinion.
- Oversee corrective action on any items reported in the audit management letter (if necessary).
- Where necessary act as the Internal Auditor by ensuring compliance with all financial policies and procedures and by improving internal controls and processes where necessary.
- Responsible for the timely completion and review of month-end closing, monthly reconciliations, and financial statements.
- Maintain, enhance, and enforce the policies and procedures of the organization by improving and developing systems that will increase the overall operation and effectiveness of UWTSA.
- Ensure compliance with GAAP and United Way Worldwide membership standards and other legal and regulatory bodies.
- Perform analysis of actual expenditures versus budget; regularly provide information to Vice President of Finance/CFO on status of budgets to assist in determination of future decisions.
- Prepare cash projections and provide information regarding future impact to Vice President of Finance/CFO.
- Ensure timely review and submission of grant and contract billings, and compliance with multiple grant awards, county, state, and federal regulations and laws.
- Provide excellent customer service as a component of all job duties and serve as a resource to all staff ensuring a collaborative and professional working environment.
- Work closely with the Vice President of Finance/CFO to assist as a liaison to various committees including, but not limited to: Finance Committee, Audit Committee, and Investment Committee. Attend committee meetings.
- Supervise, train, and mentor assigned staff members to ensure high quality performance.
- Incorporate all applicable components of the organization’s Strategic Plan and Annual Strategy into staff’s annual work plans. Conduct quarterly workplan check-ins with staff on a timely basis.
- Safeguard assets and sensitive and confidential information with the highest level of integrity, professionalism, and care.
- Participate in a variety of special projects and prepare an assortment of special reports.
- Perform duties in accordance with UWTSA policies and procedures such as completing accurate and timely timesheets and expense reports.
Other Duties as Assigned
Minimum Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance and minimum 4 years’ experience in key finance role. CPA strongly preferred.
- ·Ability to work autonomously to organize and prioritize work, perform multiple tasks, meet tight deadlines, identify and resolve problems and coordinate efforts with other staff members.
- ·Strong analysis skills with the ability to identify errors and omissions in data and reports.
- ·Demonstrated ability to tactfully handle stressful situations, negotiate and resolve conflicts, maintain strict confidentiality, and to respect and observe organizational practices.
- ·Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- ·Demonstrated skills using Windows-based software, including, but not limited to, internet browsers, e-mail, and database software. Advanced proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite strongly preferred.
- ·Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff as well as diverse vendors, volunteers, donors, community partners, and other stakeholders.
- ·Ability to maintain a flexible work schedule and adjust it as required by changing activities.
- ·Must possess a current and valid Arizona Driver’s License and provide proof of auto insurance.
- ·Ability to occasionally lift up to 25 lbs. when necessary.
The United Way of Tucson and Southern Arizona is an equal opportunity employer. We champion diversity, equity, and inclusion. We take action to ensure equal opportunity and all candidates are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Upon hire and/or prior to starting employment with us, the successful candidate will be required to provide evidence of COVID vaccination or provide proof of eligibility for medical exemption.