Job Title: Controller
Reports To: V.P. of Finance and Operations
FLSA Status: Full-time, Permanent, Exempt
For over 50 years, United Way of the Wine Country has been working to support sustainable improvements to systems and services that benefit all residents in our shared communities. We proudly serve families and individuals living and working in Sonoma, Mendocino, Lake, Humboldt, and Del Norte counties and remain deeply committed to improving family financial stability by serving as a vital link between residents, nonprofit organizations, businesses, and government leaders.
To improve financial stability for all families throughout our service area by activating local businesses, inspiring individual investment, advancing community collaboratives, and influencing public policy.
United Way of the Wine Country envisions a day when all families are empowered to gain access to the resources and opportunities, they need to achieve financial stability and contribute to the well-being of our shared communities.
• Integrity | Accountability | Transparency
• Equity | Inclusion
Assist in preparing financial statements that follow all regulatory and accounting guidelines under supervision of the V.P. of Finance and Operations. Be responsible for identifying and preventing discrepancies and helping set up control systems. Possess good knowledge of accounting principles, be organized, and pay close attention to detail. The goal is to contribute to keep the accounting and financial processes of the organization up to standard and ensure accurate financial reporting and control.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Updating financial spreadsheets with daily transactions.
- Tracking and reconciling bank statements.
- Create cost analysis reports (fixed and variable costs).
- Evaluates, develops, and implements financial system policies and procedures, ensuring effective and efficient internal operations.
- Ensures the organization’s Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Designation Payments and Internal Auditing processes operate effectively, and comply with all current regulations, best practices, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Support monthly payroll and keep organized records.
- Provide support and assist in the preparations of budgets and forecasts.
- Assist in the preparation of financial statements in compliance with official guidelines and requirements.
- Manage journal entries and reconcile accounts for the monthly or annual closing.
- Assists with preparation, and completion of annual audit processes.
- Support in development and maintenance of department monthly financial and alignment reports.
- Review the organization’s accounting information to identify and resolve inaccuracies and imbalances.
- Monitor and review donor database enhancements and research emerging best practices and standards in usability.
- Research and implement ways that technology could simplify/streamline work and improve donor relations.
- Supervise Accounting Specialist and Staff Accountant.
- Support Accounting Specialist and Staff Accountant by assisting when necessary.
- Serve as Staff Partner on the Audit Committee of the UWWC Community Board.
- Heavy data entry.
- Supports and abides by United Way policies, procedures, and philosophies.
- Maintains standards of safe working conditions and high-quality delivery of services.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The following requirements are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree in business, accounting, or related field preferred. Minimum of four years related accounting experience and/or training. Solid knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and regulations. Excellent knowledge of accounting and financial processes (budgeting, financial closure, reporting, etc.). Well-organized with ability to prioritize. Very good communication and interpersonal skills. High degree of accuracy, attention to detail required, and problem-solving ability. Experience in key boarding, ten-key calculators, copy machines, and other office machines required. Must be bondable, able to maintain confidentiality, handle multiple priorities, and meet deadlines. Working knowledge of MS Office, Andar, Abila MIP, Zoom, and Teams software programs or non-profit environment a plus.
Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedural manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Computer Technology: Intermediate knowledge of computer applications (Excel, Word).
Mathematical: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to develop and interpret graphs.
- Competitive salary
- Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and 401 K
- Competitive holiday and paid time off policies
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a cover letter and current resume to UWWC.HR@unitedwaywinecountry.org No phone calls please.
Application Deadline: October 8, 2021, or until filled
Start Date: Immediately
It is the policy of United Way to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, medical condition, marital status, veterans’ status or any other classification protected by applicable local, state or federal employment discrimination laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, job assignment, compensation, promotion, benefits, training, and termination.
UWWC is currently working remotely. However, interview and training are in-person in our office with the proper COVID protocol in place.