United Way of King County is a recognized leader in solving the community’s toughest challenges. We value creative, self-motivated people who care deeply about creating community solutions. We are seeking a Controller who will manage the organization’s Enterprise Resource Planning system (Microsoft Dynamics SL), and lead the financial accounting team of 4. Additionally, this position manages accounting cycles and related processes to ensure fiscal accountability and reliable financial reporting.
- Responsible for general ledger accounting and financial reporting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, vendor and allocation disbursements, fixed asset accounting, cash accounting and the accounting for endowments, trusts, grants and miscellaneous receipts.
- Responsible for monthly and annual accounting cycle, monthly financial reports and reconciliation of general ledger accounts and related processes.
- Ensures that accounting and financial reporting is performed in accordance with current established professional standards.
- Manages and coordinates the independent financial audits for the organization.
- Manages the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets.
- Manages and coordinates the preparation and submission of the annual IRS Form 990 and other financial or operational compliance reporting.
- Reviews and updates internal controls, processes and procedures in support of reliable and useful financial reporting and business process improvement.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Strong analytical and demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability analyzing and synthesizing data to generate potential solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Actively seeks perspectives from others to ensure inclusiveness and understanding.
- Demonstrates sound judgment in evaluating situations and makes sound decisions in managing resources while demonstrating integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to generate trust and credibility.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, coach and develop staff.
- Proven interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to promote collaboration and partnership in a teamwork environment.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with accounting practices and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to pay close attention to details, accuracy and completeness.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, specializing in accounting or business administration or related discipline; CPA certification a plus. Must have a minimum of five years’ progressively responsible accounting experience and supervisory background. Intermediate Microsoft Office skills; advanced Excel skills and experience with ERP accounting systems strongly preferred. Background in a not-for-profit organization helpful.
The annual recruitment range is from $84,500 to $90,500, depending on successful experience and prior accomplishments. A slightly higher compensation may be authorized for a candidate with exceptional qualifications, experience, and a record of successful accomplishments. First review will be September 24, 2018; the position is open until filled - don’t hesitate, please apply here now.
We take pride in attracting a wide spectrum of talent that reflects the diversity and vibrancy of our community. We are committed to a positive and collaborative work environment where all employees are appreciated for who they are and what they contribute.
Our salaries are based on merit and performance, plus we offer a full package of competitive benefits for our full-time, regular staff, such as:
- Medical, dental, vision, life insurance and employee assistance services
- Annual accrual of 20 days paid time off
- 10 paid scheduled holidays
- 1 floating holiday and 1 discretionary day
- Catastrophic leave
- Subsidized Orca Card Transit pass
- Flex bus passes and access to a flex car
- Flexible spending accounts
- 403(b) retirement savings plan
- Defined Contribution 403(b) savings plan and discretionary employer contribution
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service. We welcome the unique skills of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni.