The Content Specialist is a storyteller at heart. Using social media content, blogs, video, long-form pieces, photographs and more, the Content Specialist will help United Way’s story come to life through engaging, beautiful and inspirational pieces. Working closely with the key members of the Marketing Department, the Content Specialist will use excellent writing and editing skills, along with a keen sense of content strategy, to continually create content used in a variety of ways throughout the organization.
The Content Specialist will develop content pieces that align with the strategies developed by United Way’s Marketing Department and reinforce a consistent voice and tone for United Way.
Daily job duties include:
• Working closely with marketing team members to plan content, including sourcing article ideas and creating original content
• Managing an editorial calendar
• Interviewing individuals with the goal of sharing their United Way story
• Writing everything from Facebook posts to long-form, journalistic style pieces to newsletter pieces to email copy
• Editing the work of others
• Taking photographs for stories and at events (some nights and weekends are required)
• Setting priorities with a high volume of work and meeting deadlines
Other job duties include:
• Working with the marketing team to set strategy
• Using tools and processes to deliver work
• Using content to amplify the work of our entire organization
• Contribute to the overall success of the United Way by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Produce 1-2 long-form pieces of content a month
• Produce 6-10 customized pieces of content a month
• Produce 10-30 posts for social media a month
KSA (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
• Superior writing and editing skills
• Experience in Adobe Photoshop
• Understanding of digital content strategy
• Understanding of social media content
• Ability to take direction from others
• Ability to work with a team in a fast-paced environment
• Strong eye for design
OTHER DESIRED OR PREFERRED SKILLS:
• Experience in Adobe InDesign and Illustrator
• Experience managing an editorial calendar
• Experience using social media for a business
• Familiarity with taking share-worthy photos
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in journalism strongly preferred; related fields may include writing, communications, marketing, and social media.
A minimum of three years in a writing and editing position preferred.
Organizational Competencies: (See separate sheet for details)
Steward the Vision Act with Integrity Commitment to Service
Encourage & Embrace Innovation Demonstrate Mutual Respect Pursue Collaboration
While performing the duties of the job, employee is required to regularly use hands, frequently required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Traditional office work environment
Outdoors work environment
Non-traditional work hours
Travel: Less than 20%, primarily to regional offices, as needed
Must have valid driver’s license and reliable transportation or access to reliable and available transportation