The Strategic Communications Content & Media Manager advances United Way of Central Iowa’s mission of improving lives by strengthening United Way’s reputation and visibility as a community impact leader through proactive and responsive public relations and marketing communications strategies. This leader strengthens and maintains the United Way brand value by telling dynamic and compelling human stories that move and engage our donors, volunteers, community partners, and central Iowa through an effective formula of emotion and inspiration backed up by facts and statistics. This individual can also execute collateral and advertising copywriting, video and audio scripting, writing live event scripts and talking points, paid media, social media and more to reach our various community impact goals. Primary responsibilities will focus on creation of quality content across all channels, but the position will also have responsibilities around media and public relations, strategic marketing planning and reporting.
Why Choose UWCI?
United Way of Central Iowa is an established and highly respected nonprofit in the Central Iowa area and the United Way Worldwide network. Employees at UWCI have a passion for the organization’s mission and community impact work and strive to create a positive and welcoming work environment. Our Core Values of Compassion, Integrity, Community Engagement, Responsiveness and Striving for Excellence is the foundation for how we do our work and to reach our aspiration to “Engage Community to Empower All.” In addition to a competitive salary and robust benefits package including health insurance, a dental plan, 401(k) with match and paid life insurance, we offer the following:
- On-site cafeteria
- Free, newly remodeled on-site fitness center
- Commitment to employee professional development
- Diversity and inclusion initiatives
- Fun monthly opportunities for employees to build camaraderie
- Wellness initiatives
- Convenient central Des Moines location with free parking
- Paid volunteer time off
- Participating in cross-functional teams and organization-wide initiatives and projects
- Tuition Assistance
- Generous paid vacation plan, holidays, a personal holiday and sick time
Essential Accountabilities Include (but not limited to):
- Leads the development and distribution of high quality, compelling, and consistent United Way of Central Iowa marketing and communications materials across multiple media including, long-form storytelling, inspirational speeches and talking points, collateral and ad copywriting, blog posts, video scripts, email newsletters, and email campaigns
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with news organizations, reporters, bloggers, and others who are influential in creating content of importance to United Way’s target audiences.
- Serves as the main contact for media and cultivates relationships with reporters and other content influencers with responsiveness, ability to anticipate needs, and deliver what is needed to do their best work.
- Provides Public Relations expertise and support related to: organizational identity; branding; reputation management; regional promotion; public speaking and presentation development; media relations; events
- Supports CEO, Senior Leadership Team, and other potential presenters or interviewees with talking points, research, and coaching for confident and effective delivery. May also interview with media as needed.
- Ensures all talking points, content, and special communication projects reflect the desired image of United Way and key priorities.
- Plans, purchases, and oversees all paid media advertising
- Oversees contractors responsible for producing content or providing communications-related services
- Supports the realization of Strategic Communications Team goals, including using various tools and applications to effectively and proactively serve the team’s goals.
- As appropriate to local needs, integrates and implements United Way Worldwide’s branding and messaging within the organization and community via applicable communication media.
- Aligns work and behavior with the United Way of Central Iowa Code of Ethics and Organizational Values.
- Writing & Editing: Ability to create exceptional content through skilled interviewing, writing, and editing.
- Relationship Skills: Ability to establish and maintain good rapport and relationships with community partners, vendors, donors, and coworkers.
- Business Acumen: Ability to understand business-related topics and issues.
- Decision Making: Ability to evaluate information and select an effective suitable course of action using sound judgment.
- Initiative: Ability to act and takes steps to solve or settle an issue or problem in an efficient and professional manner. Self-starter.
- Management skills: Ability to achieve desired outcomes by setting goals and priorities that deliver results.
- Communication skills – Oral: Ability to send tactful and appropriate verbal messages and listen to others’ response in order to convey information.
- Presentation Skills: Ability to effectively present information to a group.
- Analytical Skills: Ability to develop information and raw data into meaningful conclusions.
- Team Skills: Ability to work creatively and collaboratively as a team
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, communications, marketing or public relations preferred. Experience in lieu of education may be considered.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in the field of communications, preferably related to marketing, writing and public/media relations
- Exceptional writing, proofreading and editing skills, including a solid portfolio of published writing pieces for general public viewing, such as newspaper, magazines, websites, or corporate publications for public distribution
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and Adobe Creative Suite, as well as website development and social media management; knowledge of Salesforce Marketing Cloud is preferred
Driver’s license and ability to drive own vehicle for regular local travel between buildings in the Central Iowa area. Overnight and air travel occurs potentially twice per year with stays of two to three days.
United Way is an equal opportunity employer and employment practices are implemented without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religious beliefs, age, disability, sexual orientation, citizenship status, military status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local fair employment practices.