Hiring Organization: United Way of Northern Utah (UWNU)
Reports To: Director of Operations
Summary of Work:
The self-directed and experienced Comptroller works under the direction of the Director of Operations focusing primarily on performing the essential functions, not limited to, all financial, and accounting activities. The successful candidate will be responsible for budget management, monthly accounting cycle, payroll, forecasting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and financial reporting.
● Manage Finance Team - Financial Specialist, Data Specialist, Grants Manager and Staff
● Policies and Procedures - Financial development and oversight: FINPOP (Financial
Policy and Procedures) and Department Controls
● Accounting -
○ Management of Chart of Accounts and General Ledger
○ Monthly journal entries and close cycle (Pledge Revenue, Expenses, Payroll, etc.)
○ Monthly Reporting Package: Statement of Activities/Income Statement (Restricted and Unrestricted Funding) + Functional Expense Report (Overhead Rate) + Cash Flow and Forecasting (Liquidity) + Budget vs Actual with updated Forecast
● Payroll -
○ Submitting by-weekly payroll
○ Ensure correct payroll allocations
○ Coordination of benefits with HR department
● Budget -
○ Manage annual budget process
○ Budget adjustments
○ Monthly Budget monitoring
● Reporting -
○ Manage Annual Audit(s)
○ Budget monitoring
○ Oversee annual 990 submission (option to have completed by auditing firm)
○ United Way Worldwide financial reporting
● Technology - Lead on any technology changes affecting financial processes
● Board Committee Management - Support and manage the Finance and Investment, and Audit UWNU board committees. Support board committee reporting to the UWNU Executive Board and Board of Directors.
● Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or 10+ years in progressively responsible financial leadership roles
● Strong knowledge of GAAP and ability to set applicable controls required
● Grant management experience
● Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present information and interact effectively with Resource Development, Marketing, and Senior Leadership team
● Advanced Excel, Word, Outlook, and Quickbooks skills required
Additional Required Competencies:
● Drives Vision and Purpose - Paints a compelling picture of the vision and strategy that motivates others to action.
● Task Management - Prioritizing, delegating, and managing tasks; handle matters expeditiously, proactively, and follow-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
● Adaptability- Adapting approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations.
● Drives Results - Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances. Ability to work independently and collaborate on cross-functional team
● Manages Complexity - Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
● Action Oriented - Take on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm
● Strong, positive interpersonal skills - The ability to relate openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people
● Flexibility in workday; be able to occasionally work early mornings and evenings
● Advanced degree in accounting or related field
● 10+ years in progressively responsible financial leadership roles
● Board and committee management experience
● State and Federal Grant management experience
● Significant administrative experience as a Director or Department Head in a non-profit/LEA/public organization.
● Andar Software, Blackbaud, or similar Customer Relationship Management software (CRM) related experience
How to Apply : Email a cover letter and resume to Mitchell McBride, firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary Range: $70-80,000 - based on experience and qualifications with competitive benefits package (health, dental, vision, and 403B match of up to 10% after one year of employment)
Hours: Full-time exempt
Location: Ogden, UT
Closing Date: January 29th or until filled
Physical Requirements: The employee is regularly required to communicate clearly, and exchange accurate information interpersonally or through communication devices. Must be able to learn new systems and procedures, prepare and analyze data and figures; constantly operate a computer and other standard office machinery. The position requires occasional movement
throughout the office to access files, papers, or move supplies weighing up to 15lbs. Must be able to remain in a stationary position 75% of the time.
NOTE: The statements in this position description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed but are not to be seen as a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the person employed. Also, the statements do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
About United Way of Northern Utah: United Way of Northern Utah is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, which serves Weber, Box Elder, and Morgan counties. Its mission is to unite people and organizations to build a healthy, stable, and well-educated community where individuals, families, and neighborhoods thrive. Website: http://www.uwnu.org