United Way of Salt Lake (UWSL) has made a promise to our community—to change the odds so all children and their families have the same chance to succeed in school and life. We have adopted a unique approach to community problem-solving called collective impact which allows us to directly engage with communities. Our workplace is fast-paced, friendly, and adaptive. At UWSL we believe in celebrating success, learning from failure, and ambitious goals. Our wages are competitive; the benefits package is comprehensive; perks like flexible schedules and staff parties make every day unique.
Community School Director (CSD) strategically align available resources to meet school needs. A collective impact framework helps CSD achieve success in the following key areas: core instructional programs, comprehensive support services, and expanded learning opportunities. Using data, CSD assess community and student needs, propose solutions and engage in continuous improvement. CSD work primarily at the assigned school; building and maintaining high functioning relationships is essential. Directed by the principal, CSD work to support the school culture, and vision for student success.
- Core function is to collaborate with school leadership to strategically use resources to achieve specific academic outcomes, as identified by school improvement plan
- Develop, maintain and strengthen relationships with school leadership and staff, community partners, parents and students
- Communicating with various stakeholders, and facilitate diverse and difficult conversations
- Participate in school and community leadership teams to align programs and initiatives
- Continuously improve practices and processes to best utilize resources and relationships
- Use data to drive decisions. Gather, analyze, and share data on an ongoing basis to facilitate conversations, meetings, and daily decisions
- Use data to guide school improvement plans and program objectives
- Manage and assist with volunteer, promotional, and community events (e.g. site visits, Day of Caring, etc.) representing the school and UWSL
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the supervisory personnel
- Comprehensive understanding of UWSL’s vision, including principles of collective impact
- School environments, operations, core competencies (Tier I, II, III interventions), assessments and Professional Learning Communities (PLC)
- Model and philosophy of community schools (i.e. National Center for Community Schools or Coalition for Community Schools)
- Ability to communicate, problem solve, and work with diverse teams
- Enter, manipulate, visualize and interpret data to make actionable decisions
- Ability to communicate complex information and present to diverse audiences
- Functional computer literacy in Microsoft programs
- Direct difficult conversations
- Willingness to learn and continuously improve
- Multiculturalist mentality to relate to people from diverse backgrounds
- Solution- and results-oriented
- Patience and flexibility to adapt to a constantly changing environment
- Organized and proactive to assume responsibility of tasks and projects
- Bachelor’s degree in social science, humanities, sociology, public administration, or related field
- 2 years of experience in education or community-related role
- Spanish speaking a plus
- Must pass UWSL and school district background checks
The employee is regularly required to communicate clearly, in oral and written formats, with others in person, over the phone and via other devices. The employee must be able to transcribe, learn information and systems, prepare and analyze data and figures, constantly operate a computer and other standard office machinery. The employee is required to regularly travel to offsite locations. The employee must have the ability to lift, carry, push and/or pull objects weighing up to 50lbs.
SALARY INFORMATION & FLSA STATUS
This is an exempt position; salary commensurate with experience.
Email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Complete applications include a cover letter, resume, and UWSL Employment Application. Only complete applications will be considered. Employment applications and the complete job description can be found at http://www.uw.org/about-us/careers.html