United Way of El Paso County is committed to improving the lives and futures of all people in the community. We bring together expertise, funding and volunteer support to positively impact education, health, basic needs, and financial stability. In partnership with others, we work to eliminate inequities experienced by diverse populations so that all people have a safe, healthy home environment, achieve their educational potential, and increase their financial stability. We commit to building bridges across cultural, racial, religious, and economic boundaries.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Communications Coordinator supports the mission of United Way of El Paso County (UWEPC) through development and implementation of online marketing strategies for the Community Resiliency Center, assisting El Pasoans affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Marketing and Communication
The Communications Coordinator supports the Vice President of Marketing and Communications by developing and fulfilling the duties of a comprehensive online marketing plan.
- Manage Community Resiliency Center’s social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other relevant platforms
- Engage in social media presence creation on new and emerging social media platforms
- Create dynamic written, graphic, and video content
- Coordinate ad campaigns with social media strategy
- Use timelines and scheduled content to create a consistent stream of new content for audience interaction while analyzing, managing, and altering schedules where necessary to optimize visits
- Support broad variety of marketing and communications projects and any related initiatives and strategies, with an emphasis on copy (e.g., print materials, newsletter, print advertising, website, Opinion Editorials, public service announcements, etc.), and graphic design
- Assist in maintaining a strong online presence through Community Resiliency Center’s website(s) including blog and evaluating search engine optimization and search engine marketing
- Coordinate media relations and maintain strong relationships with broadcast and print media
- Assist in multimedia production
- As needed, serve as agency photographer/videographer and maintain media library
- Support website design and maintenance
- Assist and/or write scripts for media interviews and special events.
Stay current on marketing, social, economic and political trends that may have an effect on the Community Resiliency Center and United Way of El Paso County and make recommendations to enhance our image based on those trends.
Be part of the support team during special event(s).
- Maintain working knowledge of the status of programs, engagement, and initiatives to fully participate and provide status updates, when necessary.
- Seek and maintain strong community partnerships with local service providers and potential supporters.
- Cultivate a strong collaborative of response and engagement in the Community Resiliency Center by convening partners to assess community needs and strategically execute programs in collaboration with partners.
- Participate in recurring program and strategic meetings to assist in shaping the vision of UWEPC Community Impact products and partnerships in relation to the Community Resiliency Center.
- Advocate for UWEPC Community Impact products with community partners and stakeholders. Research new programs and services that may be relevant to the mission and values of UWEPC.
- Develop and cultivate successful strategic business/personal relationships.
- Facilitate relationships with partners for direct services to clients including reporting, and information-sharing.
CROSS FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work effectively with other teams at United Way to provide appropriate support and value to partners. Leverage relationships to create additional opportunities with other organizations and individuals.
- Foster creative thinking and facilitate future partnerships within corporate accounts.
- Attend key community events and activities as a way to promote United Way of El Paso County’s mission, vision and core values becoming a defined community ambassador for United Way, in particular as it relates to the Community Resiliency Center and disaster response.
- Cultivate community support for United Way by maintaining contacts with local organizations, businesses and individuals.
Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism or related field.
At least two years of relevant work experience is preferred. Staff person must possess the ability to effectively and efficiently work on multiple marketing communications projects. Experience in copywriting; graphic design and layout; and brandmark (logo) development is required.
Knowledge of the non-profit sector is a plus. Must have experience capturing and editing photos and video.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule with the possibility of early morning, evening, and weekend work.
Valid driver’s license, insurance and vehicle required.
Bilingual Spanish, essential.
SKILLS AND COMPENTENCIES:
- Experience working in collaborative environments and cross functionally to achieve goals.
- Strong project management, process improvement, or other applicable experience.
- Strong analytical skills using data to support decisions.
- Problem-solver and self-starter who initiates solutions; collaborates and negotiates effectively with team members, partners, and stakeholders. Strong ability to distill and communicate complex issues and concepts to others.
- Personal attributes of honesty, integrity, professional behavior, tact, sense of urgency, and sense of humor.
Intermediate knowledge of MS Office applications (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel), Intermediate knowledge of social media and website management platforms i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Wix; Intermediate knowledge of virtual meeting platforms i.e. Zoom, GoTo Meeting, FaceBook Live, Microsoft Teams; Intermediate knowledge of case management software and workflow.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.