United Way of Greater New Haven (UWGNH) brings people and organizations together to create solutions to Greater New Haven’s most pressing challenges in the areas of Education, Financial Stability, and Health. We tackle issues that cannot be solved by any one group working alone.
We are seeking a full-time AmeriCorps VISTA member to participate in our effort to address basic needs within Greater New Haven and our work with Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed (ALICE) families, by taking an active role in projects around housing, hunger, and financial stability. The AmeriCorps VISTA, along with the Community Impact Team, will engage key stakeholders in the region while also working to craft solutions that address the basic needs of residents. This position is a year-long commitment with potential to extend for a second year.
The AmeriCorps VISTA member will gain professional experience and be given the opportunity for professional development through various workshops and trainings.
Reporting Structure: Reports to Jason Martinez, Director of Community Impact
Work Can Include, But Not Limited To:
- Develop and implement community Needs Assessments regarding basic needs for ALICE families such as housing, food security, and financial security.
- Work with numerous key partners to build relationships and expand individualized community services to towns in the Greater New Haven region. Partners include local city/town government, non-profit partners, service providers, and universities.
- Coordinate and manage volunteers through various community impact projects, such as a monthly mobile food pantries and VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) sites.
- Assist the Community Impact Manager in finding, researching, and writing grant proposals.
- Support local grassroots organizations with outreach and advocacy work, including Witnesses to Hunger New Haven Chapter.
- Support state-wide United Way efforts to create solutions for ALICE (asset limited, income constrained, employed) families through various projects, such as a match savings program.
- Work with the internal communications team and key stakeholders to create outreach and marketing materials like resource guides and event flyers.
- Create evaluations, collect information, and form data reports to present to community.
- Represent UWGNH while you engage in deep listening at a wide range of community events, committees, and one-on-one meetings.
- Collaborate effectively within the organization, working cross-functionally with all departments.
- Support Community Impact team with establishing effective and efficient processes that align department priorities with greater organization goals, strategy, and mission.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Ability to work with diverse staff, volunteers, and community partners and members.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to balance and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and a clear, 'on-target' writing style.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain positive and engaging relationships.
- Proficient with Google Drive and MS Office.
- Proactive and strategic thinker with the ability to work both individually and collaboratively.
- Creative and result-oriented self-starter, willing to learn.
- Valid driver's license and reliable transportation required.
- Must be able to lift 25-50 lbs.
Ideally, the successful candidate will be:
- Personally committed to advancing United Way’s values, mission, goals and programs.
- Experienced in community outreach and engaging organizations/businesses/faith groups/residents.
- A flexible and reliable person who can handle and prioritize multiple projects and responsibilities.
- A superior communicator who shares information readily and concisely, and listens as well as participates.
- A team player who inspires collaboration and functions decisively.
- Passionate about helping their community.
Interested candidates can view the position at: https://bit.ly/2G4ILJ2
To apply, create a profile on the My AmeriCorps Portal (https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do) and search for this VISTA position.
Start Date: August 5, 2019
Compensation: Living Stipend of $14,665 for the year
Benefits: AmeriCorps VISTA members are eligible for AmeriCorps health benefits, an end of year education award worth $6,000 or an end of service award of $1,500, discounted childcare, and may be eligible for SNAP.
**United Way of Greater New Haven is an equal opportunity employer.**