STATEMENT OF THE JOB:
The Community Impact Manager is responsible for leading and being engaged in community-wide initiatives and helping advance defined strategies that further United Way of Greater Toledo’s Strategic Plan. Serve as subject matter expert in assigned priority areas. Work as part of a cross-functional team to develop and execute on give, advocate, and volunteer strategies advancing integrated education, income and health goals. Provide leadership and development to volunteers.
- Seek out and respond to strategic opportunities that leverage United Way’s presence and advance community work.
- Build networks and strong relationships with key stakeholders who can support the advancement of education, income and health efforts in the greater Toledo area.
- Work collaboratively with expert level consultants or partners to bring cutting edge ideas, practices and strategies to United Way’s work.
- Work with Data Management Specialist to collect and interpret programs’ data to Community Solutions Team (CST).
- Communicate with funded programs relative to Mid-year reports, Year-end reports and financial statements. Follow up with questions by staff and volunteers.
- Manage and facilitate the CSTs in making informed investment and partnership decisions that support community-wide strategies and initiatives.
- Work with CSTs to identify community investments, design collaborative agreements and monitor impact of programming.
- Manage contracts/subcontracts related to partnerships, including the development and execution of collaborative agreements specific to strategies with lead agencies.
- Develop and maintain a strong volunteer team (CST) through recruitment of content experts, community representatives and effective volunteer management and succession planning.
- Provide backbone organizational support and leadership to specific internal and external stakeholders and organizations leading community-wide collaborative.
- In partnership with VP, manage budget associated with department needs and goals.
- Assist in the development of communications to donors, partners, and other constituents in collaboration with the Marketing & Communications and the Resource Development Departments.
- Support advocacy efforts related to United Way’s goals and strategies, including the maintenance of the public policy agenda and communicating advocacy opportunities to constituents as assigned.
- Coordinate with CI staff, the counties and other local leaders to ensure alignment with overall education, income and health strategies
- Work with Resource Development to identify and support revenue generation, corporate partnerships and volunteer opportunities.
- Provide partner agencies training and technical assistance as needed.
- Coordinate with Finance Department to ensure program payments are correct.
- Additional duties as deemed necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Health, Education, Social Work, Public Administration or other related field.
- Minimum five years experience in the public or non-profit sector in the area of community development.
- Minimum of three years experience working with community programs.
- Minimum of three years experience increasing leadership-based responsibilities involving collaborative/multi-system initiatives, and project management.
- Or, a comparable combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- Working knowledge of community needs of as it pertains to health and wellness, target populations and community services
- Strong interpersonal and public speaking skills.
- Ability to facilitate groups.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing with a wide range of customers.
- Proficient in MS Office, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and internet related programs.
- Ability to learn and become proficient in the use of relevant software.
- Ability to work without supervision and to make appropriate decisions.
- Ability to effectively build and cultivate relationships.
- Ability to assess individuals’ and group dynamics and successfully navigate conflict to create productive outcomes.
- Must project a professional image at all times.
- Work appropriately and enthusiastically with others and responds appropriately in interpersonal situations.
CORE COMPETENCIES (Refer Core Competencies for Professional Staff for behavior indicators):
All United Way employees recognize that the organization’s top priority is to create real social change that improves lives and changes community conditions. This drives their performance and motivations.
All United Way employees are responsible for cultivating and managing relationships, fostering an atmosphere of trust, while taking a collaborative approach to addressing issues.
All United Way employees are accountable for achieving individual performance goals in support of organizational goals.
All United Way employees are stewards of the brand and understand their role in protecting the reputation of the organization.
All United Way employees demonstrate a desire to acquire knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform effectively.
All United Way employees have the ability to think critically and to solve problems using basic research, analysis and interpretation.
All United Way employees conduct themselves in a professional manor and follow organizational guidelines and standards.
COMMUNITY IMPACT FUNCTIONAL COMPETENCIES:
Drive for Stakeholder Success
The CI Pro is results driven to maximize social change and enhance the quality of life in the communities they serve. Proactively work in alignment across all functions of their organization to advance United Way mission, drive for impact and revenue goals, and demonstrate strong commitment to creating value for stakeholders to achieve organizational success.
The CI Pro is a skilled and passionate communicator who articulates the United Way message in a way that inspires others to act in service to the organization and to the community. Promotes and sells ideas persuasively. Shapes the opinions of key "stakeholders" (donors, community, employees, other) and promotes and projects a positive image of the organization.
Adaptability and Change Management
The CI Pro champions and facilitates change to ensure long-term community sustainability. Adapts successfully to changing needs while maintaining positive relationships with internal and external constituents.
Cross-Functional Capability and Collaboration
The CI Pro works effectively in a cross-functional, matrix organization. Brings a team-oriented mindset and approach to work. Demonstrates skills and capabilities to collaborate for results. Demonstrates knowledge of current conditions and future trends, both inside and outside the organization, to achieve results.
Strategic Community Collaboration
The CI Pro engages diverse stakeholders to accurately and effectively assess community needs and, with credibility, authenticity and humility, strategically guides United Way to contribute to the community’s priorities. Influences and inspires community leaders (e.g., individuals, corporate, government, etc.) to partner with United Way to create and implement programs that serve and add value to the community.
Deep Community Expertise
The CI Pro is an expert on community issues and challenges who has thorough knowledge of the data trends, research, and environment and community stakeholders. Proactively works to identify and address complex issues by providing leadership around gathering, interpreting and using relevant data to inform and drive strategy development, make decisions, and drive for results. Plans, develops and implements initiatives within impact areas to achieve results that drive collective community outcomes.
Product Development and Implementation
The CI Pro understands the community and the philanthropic interests of donors and investors. Identifies community strategies to connect with the interests of various investors, and develops solutions and products as investment opportunities to connect donor aspirations with community needs.
The CI Pro understands donors and supports year-round relationship management with key donor segments (e.g., individuals, corporations, foundations, etc.) to attract and sustain resources (financial, volunteer, and advocacy).
The CI Pro works to build organizational capacity through volunteer collaboration and to develop high-impact, meaningful volunteer opportunities that increase revenue, impact, outcomes, and influence.
Advocacy and Public Policy
The CI Pro works with community leaders and elected officials to build on the United Way mission and advocates on education, impact and health issues. Encourages partner organizations to engage in advocacy and to support issues important for the community.