08/16/21 - 08/15/22
The Community Impact Coordinator VISTA will focus on building and gathering knowledge, materials, and research for UWNNS Community Impact efforts. This includes both research and active contribution to UWNNS literacy resources.
Since 1942, United Way of Northern Nevada and the Sierra (UWNNS) has been linking the community’s will and resources to improve lives. Beginning in 2014, UWNNS identified a key need to improve early childhood literacy and focused efforts to address it. Over half of northern Nevada’s children are reading below grade level and the state high school graduation rate is near the bottom nationally. For children living in poverty, the extent is worse. The Community Impact Coordinator VISTA’s efforts will focus on contributing towards UWNNS’s online learning hub, its resources, research for early literacy importance, and written materials for gathering community awareness and support.
- Understand and build upon existing UWNNS Community Impact programming.
- Expand UWNNS literacy resources reach.
- Expand compiled content for UWNNS online learning hub.
- Expand UWNNS research and refine accumulated knowledge.
AmeriCorps VISTA is a national service program through the Corporation for National and Community Service, which more information can be found here. VISTA members serve full time for a one-year service term and receive:
- Upon successful completion of service, choice of a Segal Education Award ($6,195.00 for education expenses) or an end of service cash stipend ($1,800.00).
- Modest living allowance of approximately $13,399.
- If you are moving beyond 50 miles from your home of residence to the service location, a settling-in allowance of approximately $750 and a mileage-based relocation allowance.
- Upon successful completion of service, one year of Non-Competitive Eligibility status for federal jobs.
- Health benefits during service.
- Ability to work in a team and independently.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Organized and adaptable.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and willing to undergo a background check.
- Vehicle recommended.