Gain experience in a nonprofit environment while creating a lasting impact on northern Nevada’s literacy resources. This position is an opportunity to step into a nonprofit environment, serve the local community, and build your resume for the future!
Only one in three of northern Nevada’s children are reading at grade level and the state high school graduation rate is near the bottom nationally. For children living in poverty, the extent is worse. The Community Resources & Impact VISTA’s efforts will focus on contributing materials towards United Way of Northern Nevada and the Sierra’s (UWNNS) online learning hub, UWNNS’s community resources, research for early literacy importance, and written materials for gathering community awareness and support.
- Understand and build upon existing UWNNS Community Impact programming.
- Expand UWNNS literacy resources reach.
- Expand compiled content for UWNNS online learning hub.
- Expand UWNNS research and refine accumulated knowledge.
AmeriCorps VISTA is a national service program through the Corporation for National and Community Service. VISTA members serve full time for a one-year service term and receive:
- Upon successful completion of service, choice of a Segal Education Award ($6,495.00 for education expenses) or an end of service cash stipend ($1,800.00).
- Modest living allowance of approximately $15,002.00
- If you are moving beyond 50 miles from your home of residence to the service location, a settling-in allowance of approximately $750 and a mileage-based relocation allowance.
- Upon successful completion of service, one year of Non-Competitive Eligibility status for federal jobs.
- Health benefits during service.
- Mileage reimbursement.
- Ability to work in a team and independently.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Organized and adaptable.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and willing to undergo a background check.
- Vehicle recommended.